2009-12-16: *Ahem* That was a hint.

For talking about the plot, the art, the dialogue, the characters, the site, and the individual updates...
mindstalk
Typo-Seeking Missile

Re: 2009-12-16: *Ahem* That was a hint.

Post by mindstalk »

Yay, words!

"We don't know anything, but we do know your language." Picky reader wants more handwaving. Also they can recognize mixed-ness right away. Are short pointy ears that definitive or are they using other senses like "body's magic morphic field is all messed up but at least there is one"? Nookie has conservative elven sexual aesthetics, I guess. Or maybe otaku aesthetics. Given her appearance... yeah. Of course, what you describes could be crudely called "evolution". Nookie knows the word "PR" which is interesting considering her ostensible background; how much cultural knowledge got plugged into them, and what culture?

Would it be mean to point out that Nookie's head looks re-used between panels 2 and 4?
The Comment Golem
Unstoppable Posting Machine

2009-12-16: *Ahem* That was a hint.

Post by The Comment Golem »

Discussion thread for *Ahem* That was a hint.
Gunndalf
Forum Trainee

Post by Gunndalf »

There's so many words to describe what she means... retrieve him, get him back, restore hin in his previous state, ... but no, she says, 'how to pull him out'. :lol:

My best guess is, the power may build up within Meji incrementally, starting at zero, like it happened with Ian- he got stronger over time, but didn't try to do the hammerhard tricks right away, a few seconds after god-consumption, as Meji did.
mindstalk
Typo-Seeking Missile

Post by mindstalk »

Gunndalf wrote:There's so many words to describe what she means... retrieve him, get him back, restore hin in his previous state, ... but no, she says, 'how to pull him out'. :lol:
Apotheosis interruptus.
ChunLing
Advocate of Justice

Post by ChunLing »

She did say she'd use small words. I suppose whatever translation effects the divine teacher pets use knows how to do that reasonably well, though you'd think a really good translation spell would automatically compensate for the target's vocabulary anyway. Then again, their standard translation effect must be able to translate "stupid PR crap" with a straight face (so to speak), so it has to be pretty literal in some senses. That is to say, it has to be lax enough to permit the little gods to speak with less than the total honesty which Nookie is now employing.

But I think that "possibly even, no vision or sense of smell" was a little unnecessary. Perhaps even deliberately hurtful.
Kill...more...elves.
mindstalk
Typo-Seeking Missile

Post by mindstalk »

ChunLing wrote: But I think that "possibly even, no vision or sense of smell" was a little unnecessary. Perhaps even deliberately hurtful.
Hey, she's an incarnate anime trope. What do you think those would think of real people? Real hairy, smelly, blemished, people.
Neko7
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by Neko7 »

I do remember that they are all using translation spell.
If I translate in french the english word "Kiss", I have a choice of at least 5 words(without using slan language, otherwise much more), and all mean a different variation of what would be describe in english by "kiss".

What I really think happen generally thru the comics is the spell look in the personne range of vocabulary for the the closest interpretation, or idiomatic interpretation, of what the speacker mean and use the word that seems to correspond the most in the listener language.

Meji come from Tsuiraku, a weard modern kind of japaness inspired advance society with magic instead of technology, with cristal reception TV, phone and other. It wouldn't suprise me that this society famousses people use "PR", and therefore it is the word that came out from the translation spell. (just my 2 cents of plausible explanation).

As far a the mixed-ness go, I do recall that they describe both human as mixed thing and half-elf as mixed-thing, with the little detail given by kawaii here: There is the tall hairy mixed-thing and the short pointy-eared mixed thing(well not always short, but still pointy-eared mixed thing)(http://www.errantstory.com/2005-11-07/438), so when they said mixed-thing, they seems to talk about a mix of various-mixed-unknown-element thing, not necessary a mix between the elves and the humans. In the other hand, there a good chance that nooky did give some tought on the subject and came in some sort of conclusion that elfs have to be mixed somewhere along the way, thanks to her comment on drunk(y?)ness.

Finally, if the goal of the gods was the mixing of the elvens with other races, and if the pedos knew that (as being the reason why elfs exist), this kind of analyse and conclusion should be easy to reach, even with their limited knowledge of what is outside.
Last edited by Neko7 on December 16th, 2009, 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Forrest
Finally, some love for the BJ!

Post by Forrest »

Neko7 wrote:Finally, if the goal of the gods was the mixing of the elvens with other races, and if the pedos knew that (as being the reason why elfs exist), this kind of analyse and conclusion should be easy to reach, even with their limited knowledge of what is outside.
Speaking of Elves breeding with other things, a while back I briefly had the idea that maybe humans are half-elf/half-trolls, until I remembered that there's a half-elf/half-troll in the sequel who doesn't look exactly human. (She was featured in the donation wallpaper titled "mikwallpaper" for those who have it... I think she was also in a filler art panel somewhere).

Now I get to wondering, even though the Dwarves couldn't reproduce themselves, what would happen if an Elf or Troll tried to reproduce with a Dwarf? Giving it more thought, I suspect that it wouldn't even be possible to try, since the Ol' ones didn't do the "icky thing with the waste-disposal organs" until the Elves, per Kawaii. I suppose, like we've previously speculated, they could be some kind of genetically engineered hack created by the hyperintelligent Dwarves. Either way, the "mixed things" comments really do suggest that humans are some kind of mash-up of the known three races... short, slightly less ugly Trolls, like the Elves first thought...

It also occurs to me now that the titmoths having no idea what humans are probably means that the gods don't descend from humans as I was theorizing before.

EDIT: According to this post by Her Impyness, the half-troll is half-human, not half-elf. (And her name is Mikota) So, perhaps my "humans = elf-trolls" theory isn't so wacky after all...
-Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

What's amazing about this little monologue by Nookie is its power for summoning Tsuirakuan airships. You just know that she's going to get about half way into a bout of exposition, and will be right at the point of revealing the Secrets of the Universe (I started to write "secrets of the university" -- curious Freudian slip...), and suddenly, BOOM! And then we'll have to wait at least two more chapters for resolution, while the arrival of the Tsuirakuan fleet is dealt with.

Not that I'm complaining, mind you.

Because old is wise, does good, and above all, kicks ass.
Initial B
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by Initial B »

What is interesting is that Nookie has no idea what Humans are. That makes me think that maybe there is another unknown God out there that made the Humans. That same God may be the reason the elves can't procreate anymore. Hmmm, I wonder if a divine godwar could be brewing?