2010-02-15: *Whew*

For talking about the plot, the art, the dialogue, the characters, the site, and the individual updates...
Luciifiel
Forum Regular

Re: 2010-02-15: *Whew*

Post by Luciifiel »

Gah... we're going to have to wait a few more days to see what the note says, right? :p Poor Chris... I wonder if Poe has anything planned for him. Also, it should be "what do you want?" not "what you do what".
The Comment Golem
Unstoppable Posting Machine

2010-02-15: *Whew*

Post by The Comment Golem »

Discussion thread for *Whew*
mindstalk
Typo-Seeking Missile

Post by mindstalk »

Hah, that was hilarious.
Forrest
Finally, some love for the BJ!

Post by Forrest »

Hilarious as that was (and it was), some interesting oddities in Ian's thought process. For one, he is a god now, or at least the avatar of one, and since he made this thing, it can't very well be unholy, now could it? And second, I would expect that finding the thing you resurrected could talk would make you think better of it, not less of it (maybe you salvaged the troll's mind after all and it just took a while for its psyche to recover enough to speak?) -- that is, it'd make you think "oh! it's not just a zombie, it's really alive!" rather than "AHHH KILL IT KILL IT!"

I wonder, if Ian dies, do all his zombie minions die too? And if not, can they be killed (and not just blasted into inoperable parts) like a normal living member of its (potentially former) species? If so, then I'd say they're not really zombies at all... they are what ever they were before, just with empty shells of their former personalities, which they could eventually replace with new personalities the same way new people (infants) do: years and years of experience.
Last edited by Forrest on February 15th, 2010, 2:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
Pillaroforder
Heretical Monk

Post by Pillaroforder »

Hah, a precious genre savvy moment - you're not that insane if you still remember zombies aren't supposed to talk. Oh, and ofcourse if they did - KILL IT WITH FIRE!!!
Neko7
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by Neko7 »

(I'm gonna get kill by the forum peoples)

It's been a few comics (feb 10th to be precise) that I notice a change in the art of the drawing, especially on the faces.

I don't know how to describe it... It's like Poe is trying to make thing more round (feb 10th: sarine 1st panel , Meji 2nd panel; feb 15th: (a little bit) Chris 3rd panel, (obviously) Ian 4th panel).

I don't know how to describe this impression (specially since I don't want to insult Poe in anyway, but with my limited english vocabulary it wouldn't be the first time I do that without knowing it).
It's like: before faces were builted step by step (like in the "how to draw #####"'s books with sketch, then outline, etc...)
Where I fell like i'm looking at an experimentation of direct drawing, when the artist start right away with the black pen and do it "a la main levé" (sorry, no idea how to translate the expression).

Notice that I don't (negatively) criticize it,(I'm french, criticizing is what we do to learn to speak ), I'm just curious to know if I'm the only one with this impression.
Rakshasa Taisab
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by Rakshasa Taisab »

Neko7 wrote:It's been a few comics (feb 10th to be precise) that I notice a change in the art of the drawing, especially on the faces.
OMG, you're right. Poe has gone moe-blob! :o
BandMan2K
Errant Scholar

Post by BandMan2K »

Neko7 wrote:(I'm gonna get kill by the forum peoples)

It's been a few comics (feb 10th to be precise) that I notice a change in the art of the drawing, especially on the faces.

I don't know how to describe it... It's like Poe is trying to make thing more round (feb 10th: sarine 1st panel , Meji 2nd panel; feb 15th: (a little bit) Chris 3rd panel, (obviously) Ian 4th panel).

I don't know how to describe this impression (specially since I don't want to insult Poe in anyway, but with my limited english vocabulary it wouldn't be the first time I do that without knowing it).
It's like: before faces were builted step by step (like in the "how to draw #####"'s books with sketch, then outline, etc...)
Where I fell like i'm looking at an experimentation of direct drawing, when the artist start right away with the black pen and do it "a la main levé" (sorry, no idea how to translate the expression).

Notice that I don't (negatively) criticize it,(I'm french, criticizing is what we do to learn to speak ), I'm just curious to know if I'm the only one with this impression.
I think it slipped my senses, but now that you mention it there does seem to be a slight difference. Good eye!

As for your expression in Francaise, the best English derivative I would use is "Free Hand."
For god so loved the world that he sent his only begotten son to draw tentacle raped dickgirls that who so ever shall masturbate to them will not perish but enjoy everlasting orgasm.

-Book of Ghastly 3:16
Itterind
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by Itterind »

Luciifiel wrote:Gah... we're going to have to wait a few more days to see what the note says, right? :p Poor Chris... I wonder if Poe has anything planned for him. Also, it should be "what do you want?" not "what you do what".
Of course he does.

Hmmmm, I persuaded the author of finished comic 'Atavism', now 'Cerintha' to make his art rounder, but then he used to make it really, very angular subconciously for a more secure reference frame though the original drawings had been moderately round.
Errant Story doesn't seem to need it. Moe-blob... that's harsh though. I'd just say he's been putting a little less time into it, or maybe he's experimenting with minor inclusion of new styles. Some of it looks just like the normal high quality I like. The new style, if indeed it is (it's not that noticeable) is high-quality too, but I like the old one better.
davester65
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by davester65 »

Poes style has been changing/improving since Errant Story began. I've personally noticed that rather than a gradual, steady change, the style tends to change kind of suddenly, though not drastically, and always at the beginning of chapters. I like the changes for the most part and think they improve the comic.

As for Ians reaction, I imagine that if the zombie troll could talk he'd say something like: "Jeez yah creep, you're the insane necromancer who raised me and you think I'm the abomination. Talk about the pot calling the kettle black."
"Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." - C.S. Lewis