2010-03-26: Chapter Forty Four Commentary

For talking about the plot, the art, the dialogue, the characters, the site, and the individual updates...
The Comment Golem
Unstoppable Posting Machine

2010-03-26: Chapter Forty Four Commentary

Post by The Comment Golem »

Discussion thread for Chapter Forty Four Commentary
Sareth
RPG All-Star

Re: 2010-03-26: Chapter Forty Four Commentary

Post by Sareth »

Laughing my ass off. That sudden realization at the end there...

Don't worry Sara. I'm sure there's a shelter for young indigent time assassins somewhere...
Forrest
Finally, some love for the BJ!

Post by Forrest »

Sareth wrote:Laughing my ass off. That sudden realization at the end there...

Don't worry Sara. I'm sure there's a shelter for young indigent time assassins somewhere...
Besides, doesn't she have a guaranteed position in the sequel already?

(Presuming there's still a sequel...)
-Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
No One
Errant Scholar

Post by No One »

All right, I've got the zombies, Elves, ninjas, and wizards figured out. Where are the robots coming from? Did I forget a faction?
DatDude
Errant Scholar

Post by DatDude »

Commentary sara has so much more personality then normal sara.
The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile but that it is indifferent but if we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death however mutable man may be able to make them our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light. Stanley Kubrick
0m3g413
New Poster

Post by 0m3g413 »

No One wrote:All right, I've got the zombies, Elves, ninjas, and wizards figured out. Where are the robots coming from? Did I forget a faction?
The dwarves had robots. That line could have been a reference to golems, though. I'm not really sure.
Rakshasa Taisab
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by Rakshasa Taisab »

0m3g413 wrote:The dwarves had robots. That line could have been a reference to golems, though. I'm not really sure.
Since the dwarves are pretty much extinct... I'd guess... the Northern Confederacy?
ChunLing
Advocate of Justice

Post by ChunLing »

The only evidence that the dwarves are extinct is that they stopped communicating with the elves. Which seems to me more like evidence that they are really, really smart.
Kill...more...elves.
Forrest
Finally, some love for the BJ!

Post by Forrest »

ChunLing wrote:The only evidence that the dwarves are extinct is that they stopped communicating with the elves.
Well there's that, and their cities are abandoned and in ruins and nobody who's not either versed in generally forgotten lore or personally thousands of years old themselves has ever even heard of them... yeah.

Still, doesn't mean they're extinct. Maybe they just moved, or ascended to a higher plane of existence (even if they aren't magically adept... I'd consider AI a "higher plane of existence")... or maybe a combination of both, they physically moved to a higher physical place, like outer space, maybe the other planet that the gods originally came from.* They were certainly advanced enough if they were building mecha and ray guns, and being longevously immortal, the duration of the trip shouldn't really concern them.

*(I still say the Lorenzel Excavation discovered a Dwarven record and not an Elvish one, since it contradicts the generally-accepted Elven lore and seems much more matter-of-fact, which fits the way the Dwarves were educated. Although... the general Elven population also didn't know that their leaders knew where their Gods were 'sleeping' and intentionally kept it secret, so maybe the upper echelons of Elvendom wrote the Lorenzel texts, which could be why they were so keen on recovering the volume Ian and Meji stole).
-Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
Myetel
New Poster

Post by Myetel »

Is it just me, or are the chapters progressively getting shorter of late? This one was two scenes, and two events--Chris being dropped over a wall and Gramps Hinadori blowing up the elven ambassador's face.

Structurally, yeah, you want to move the action along quickly when you're coming to the climax, so I can see shorter chapters in a book format for that reason, but in web presentation format, it seems almost to, contradictorily, slow the action down, since there's omake, omake, new cover page, short chapter, omake, omake, short chapter.

Or perhaps the intent is to draw out the dramatic tension?

Or keep all the characters alive/employed longer?