2010-04-14: Deaf Ears

For talking about the plot, the art, the dialogue, the characters, the site, and the individual updates...
mindstalk
Typo-Seeking Missile

Re: 2010-04-14: Deaf Ears

Post by mindstalk »

Kincaide wrote:
mindstalk wrote:Victory: elves, no losses.
Not quite, there is no reason any of those advantages could not be turned around to bite the elves in the ass.
Well, my usual position is "Poe could easily write it either way". I was being simplistically elf-victorious to counteract the simplistic human-victorious statements.
Genealogies aside, if the Tsuirakans are half the magical badasses they've set themselves up to be then their combat mages could at least remove the magical advantage and level the playing field . Tsuiraku was also designed with several redundant systems to prevent it from going the way of Midgard.
A field battle between Tsuiraku and elves is probably a fair match, yes. Protecting all the human population from sneaky magical rangers is another matter. And yes, Tsuiraku's redundantly supported, blowing up one levitator or the other won't sink it. A nuke-level anti-magic device could take out both at once.
As Jon has demonstrated, the invention of firearms seems to have raised human soldiers to the level of most combat mages and made them easily replicable. It takes a much shorter time to train a grunt to shoot straight than to train someone to have enough mental discipline not to have their fireballs explode in their own faces.
Meh, Jon's gotten lucky and made good use of opportunities. But it's not clear what the extent of defensive magic is. Or of countermeasures: Ian made a gun too hot to hold (Organian maneuver!) "Let me ignite that gunpowder for you" might be a possibility. Mind control can keep you from wanting to shoot. Invisibility denies a target. It's not just gun vs. fireball. Meji, who is a teenage delinquent, can destroy things in a variety of ways, disguise herself, and turn invisible. Sarine can wipe memories or totally dominate a non-mage. Another elf was able to clear a street of humans. And there's healing and telepathy, and teleportation logistics.

One skilled mage could probably destroy a whole camp of non-mages, or get them to destroy each other, without them ever knowing she was there.

Tsuiraku's a threat in a fair fight. The time ninjas are threats, for now. Veracia's at least noticeable, though they just lost their main threat. The rest... I think any advanced magical population can dominate or at least wipe out a non-magical one, given the capabilities we've seen.
The main advantage of humanity is their diversity. Where the elves have stuck to one society, the humans are divided up into Farrel, the Northern Confederacy, Tsuiraku, and Veracia. Pretty much all of whom the elves have pissed off in one form or another.
Elves had four societies, which merged over time and with advanced technology. They've got one society now because only 3000 are left. Humans are separated by, well, poor technology. Elves haven't pissed off Farrell or the Confederacy that we know of. Hell, haven't pissed off Veracia much either, though the Church might fear them.
While the elves are accomplished with magical and martial prowess they simply do not have the allies or resources for the drawn out war which this will inevitably turn into. Some plot device involving Exitialis might be employed but there is already one demi-god on the loose that would be more than happy to go to war with another of its kind and if push come to shove and Meji unlocks her powers then it'll be a two on one fight. Even if the elves did survive the conflict I doubt they would have a stable enough gene pool to really support a viable breeding population even without their current problems with reproduction.
I don't know if elves even *have* a gene pool problem. Breeding-at-all problem, obviously.
Rakshasa Taisab
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by Rakshasa Taisab »

mindstalk wrote:Elves had four societies, which merged over time and with advanced technology. They've got one society now because only 3000 are left. Humans are separated by, well, poor technology. Elves haven't pissed off Farrell or the Confederacy that we know of. Hell, haven't pissed off Veracia much either, though the Church might fear them.
Even if the elves managed a kill ratio of 1:10000 they would still lose.
mindstalk
Typo-Seeking Missile

Post by mindstalk »

Rakshasa Taisab wrote:
mindstalk wrote:Elves had four societies, which merged over time and with advanced technology. They've got one society now because only 3000 are left. Humans are separated by, well, poor technology. Elves haven't pissed off Farrell or the Confederacy that we know of. Hell, haven't pissed off Veracia much either, though the Church might fear them.
Even if the elves managed a kill ratio of 1:10000 they would still lose.
We don't know how many humans there are, or how big the mapped area is. Also, what's a reasonable kill ratio for invisible people who can mindcontrol their enemies?

Huh, the map's not quite what I remember, and Saus is a lot closer to Emerylon and Santuariel than I thought. It certainly does look like a biggish world, though if so the elves have a whole lot of empty space to themseves.
http://www.errantstory.com/wiki/index.php/Veracia

Oh, it's Impy who said the elves were the biggest power to be feared.
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=242&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=10#p3092
Imp-Chan
Not Yet Dead
Twitter @: ImpChan

Post by Imp-Chan »

Huh, what? Oh, I meant power as in "perceived as important," since at that time in the story we'd seen pretty much every single country work to accommodate them. Anita would definitely want that kind of power.

That doesn't mean that the Elves are the greatest military power, I honestly don't know who would be. Certainly the Elves have proven effective when challenged in the past, but that was by a single, focused opponent (Veracia). They didn't do well when confronted by a crazy person with no warning, or when ambushed by guerrilla tactics. I'd put them about even on dealing with time ninjas so far. So I don't know how things should be predicted to shake down in that sense.

^-^'
Because scary little devil girls have to stick together.
ChunLing
Advocate of Justice

Post by ChunLing »

I find it interesting that there generally seems to be a correlation between people who think any ideas of wiping out the elves (an already sterile race with a history of attempted GENOCIDE!) is completely batshit insane, and people who think that it would be totally easy for the elves to wipe out all other races at once even at this stage of the game, when they have already tried that with two individual races at the height of their relative power and failed...twice.

And call glowy-eyed GENOCIDE! happy person Anilis or Ianilis or Ivan, it does seem to be a noticeably distinct personality. Even Meji has noticed that much.
Kill...more...elves.
mindstalk
Typo-Seeking Missile

Post by mindstalk »

Actually I don't call Ian totally batshit insane. I think he's wrong, and that he'd deny evidence from Meji that he's wrong, but I can understand why GENOCIDE! seems logical to him. (I also note that he said hello to Emerylon with a lightning storm, so he's not exactly stable, period.)

And I didn't say it'd be easy for the elves to wipe out all other races; that'd be silly. I'd said, partly in counter-reaction to others assuming the elves would be toast, that the elves could wipe out all human nations. *If* they got a surprise kill strike on Tsuiraku, which given what we know is certainly plausible, and hardly certain. The trolls are a magical race. So, obviously, were other elves, and half-elves. Humans... well, apart from Tsuiraku, Veracian priests might put up a fight, and the ninjas are somewhat mages but might also be one-trick ponies (i.e., nullify the time magic and they prove not very strong otherwise). But I really don't see how a non-magical nation can fight a magical one, given the magic in this universe. Maybe with dwarf-level tech, or maybe dwarves had magic resistance to go with magic incapability, not that we've had any hint of tensions between dwarves and elves in fact they seem to have been friendly.
Nell
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by Nell »

TheGhostling wrote:Yes, someone new is making a comment but I'm not new to watching the forums.

. What Ian plans on doing seems more like an Errant and when, or if, everyone else discovers it happened afterward then history would portray the Half-Elves as bad guys. Or at least no better than the Elves. Whereas exposing the elves could reveal the existence of Errants but in doing so Ian would also prove not all Half-Elves are insane Errants that go off on genecidal rampages.

In that case it'd be the Elves cast as the bad guys and Ian could take action against them without it reflecting poorly upon the entirety of Half-Elves. At least that's how I see it. Though I might be forgetting something that would say otherwise from earlier chapters.
If only Meji would tell him this. If only. If it happened next comic I could make up my mind on Ian.
Precursor of wall-o-text post avalanches.
Wanderer
One Post Wonder

Post by Wanderer »

Nell wrote:
TheGhostling wrote:Yes, someone new is making a comment but I'm not new to watching the forums.

. What Ian plans on doing seems more like an Errant and when, or if, everyone else discovers it happened afterward then history would portray the Half-Elves as bad guys. Or at least no better than the Elves. Whereas exposing the elves could reveal the existence of Errants but in doing so Ian would also prove not all Half-Elves are insane Errants that go off on genecidal rampages.

In that case it'd be the Elves cast as the bad guys and Ian could take action against them without it reflecting poorly upon the entirety of Half-Elves. At least that's how I see it. Though I might be forgetting something that would say otherwise from earlier chapters.
If only Meji would tell him this. If only. If it happened next comic I could make up my mind on Ian.
I find that unlikely. Ian's irresponsibility indirectly contributed to his sister's death when he decided to go on an impossible quest to heal her. What's the first thing he does? Blame the elves.

Meiji telling him that his plan is the sort of thing that would get the half elves killed would only result in more head in sand whining and destructive ranting.

If Meiji wants him stopped, the solution is simple. Take his hometown and all his friends hostage. He starts his war, they all die. Including herself. For added effect, bring his half elf friends into the mind conference. And then there will be no half elves left. If he wants to come and stop her so he can have his temper tantrum, the fighting will do to them what Ian's little fight did to Valencia. And it will be his fault, no one else.

Of course he might be still flipped out over the entire thing and not care a jot, in which case, the proper solution is to put him down like the rabid animal he is.
ChunLing
Advocate of Justice

Post by ChunLing »

Threaten to exterminate the innocent in order to protect the guilty? What a novel concept.

Oh, wait, that's done all the time...by murderous villains with no moral direction whatsoever. So kiss your originality points goodbye.
Kill...more...elves.