2010-07-17: Saturday Filler Infodump: Veracia Part Three

For talking about the plot, the art, the dialogue, the characters, the site, and the individual updates...
The Comment Golem
Unstoppable Posting Machine

2010-07-17: Saturday Filler Infodump: Veracia Part Three

Post by The Comment Golem »

Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Re: 2010-07-17: Saturday Filler Infodump: Veracia Part Three

Post by Graybeard »

I'm not sure I get where this "archipelago sandwiched between Veracia’s west coast and what was then the Eastern Islands of Farrel" is. Is it on the map?

oh for... I wrote them wrong again... I've got to stop writing these things without sleep.

Because old is wise, does good, and above all, kicks ass.
Viking-Sensei
Evil Admin Overlord
Twitter @: Kallisti_x

Post by Viking-Sensei »

Ok, glad I'm not the only one that's confused - the Anuban colonies are to the East or the West? Because they look East of Veracia to me... and if the implication is that the Anuban colonies are the immediate other side of the map (just past Tsuiraku) as well as to the East of Veracia, then this world's either discworld-shaped, or the planet is shaped like an extreme oval.
How could a plan this awesome possibly fail?
wrog
Errant Scholar

Post by wrog »

Best guess here is that the world is round, i.e., that the peninsula/continent thingie that has Anubis on its west coast is the same piece of land that is all the way over on the west side of the map beyond Tsuiraku (== the "Western Island(s) of Farrel"), that if you sail south from Anubis and then head east once you pass the south end of that peninsula, the next land you hit is Tsuiraku.
Forrest
Finally, some love for the BJ!

Post by Forrest »

I didn't think he meant the Anuban colonies at all. I thought he just meant that they started settling the east of Farrell (that is, the part of Farrell closer to Veracia than Tsuiraku), but it wasn't going very well and then Tsuiraku showed up and Farrell basically told off the Veracians so they gave up on that colony.
-Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
Viking-Sensei
Evil Admin Overlord

Post by Viking-Sensei »

Post's been updated, with East and West juxtaposed. Now it reads:
To the east, Veracia attempts to set up a permanent colony on the Anuba archipelago sandwiched between Veracia’s east coast and what was then the Western Islands of Farrel. From the outset the Anuban colony is plagued with bad luck and misfortune. The swampy lands surrounding the settlement are difficult to cultivate and any usefulness it might have served as port between the opposite sides of Farrel and Veracia is soon invalidated by Tsuiraku’s appearance.
So that settles that.
Forrest
Finally, some love for the BJ!

Post by Forrest »

So, I'm a bit confused, because Farrel is to the west of Veracia, and Tsuiraku is to the west of that, so if the Anuban colonies are further still to the west of that, that being a wrap-around to the far east again... then, Farrel must have been MUCH bigger than it is now, and somehow lost all of its far western (and northern?) holdings, and gave Tsuiraku a chunk that was previously right in the middle of their territory (between the eastern part which is the Farrel of today and the western part which included the Anuban colonies). That seems... unlikely, given that Farrel's position has previously been described as strengthening upon their alliance with Tsuiraku.

On a related note, the old world map on the wiki appears to be missing broken. Whose bright idea was it to host it on ImageShack anyway, instead of just uploading it to the wiki itself? I've fixed that.
-Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
Viking-Sensei
Evil Admin Overlord

Post by Viking-Sensei »

I'm pretty sure the implication is that at some point out, the land mass that the Northern Territories and Veracia is on continues down (as you can see it start to do on the top left hand corner of the map) and becomes the same land mass that the Anuban Colonies are on.

The only problem I see with this is that, unless it goes a lot further over before it drops, that means that the planet is a lot taller (north to south) than it is wide (east to west). It's not an O or even an 0, it's more of a ().
raphfrk
Forum Regular

Post by raphfrk »

Forrest wrote:So, I'm a bit confused, because Farrel is to the west of Veracia, and Tsuiraku is to the west of that, so if the Anuban colonies are further still to the west of that, that being a wrap-around to the far east again... then, Farrel must have been MUCH bigger than it is now, and somehow lost all of its far western (and northern?) holdings, and gave Tsuiraku a chunk that was previously right in the middle of their territory (between the eastern part which is the Farrel of today and the western part which included the Anuban colonies). That seems... unlikely, given that Farrel's position has previously been described as strengthening upon their alliance with Tsuiraku.
I don't see the issue here.

Farrel owned its current territory and also what is now Tsuiraku's island. Tsuiraku's island was (then) the main island of the Western islands of Farrel.

The anubian colonies were then established on the Anuba archipelago, which didn't belong to Farrel, but was "sandwiched" between what is now Tsuiraku and Veracia's East cost.

You only need a small amount of the world that isn't covered by the map.

Also, if the world is a sphere, then the Northern confederacy actually has much less territory than would be expected by looking at the map. It would be expanded due to the projection. In fact, it even looks stretched. The Northern Confederacy actually would have the North pole within its territory.
Viking-Sensei wrote:I'm pretty sure the implication is that at some point out, the land mass that the Northern Territories and Veracia is on continues down (as you can see it start to do on the top left hand corner of the map) and becomes the same land mass that the Anuban Colonies are on.
The colonies are said to be on an archipelago, so I don't think they are necessarily connected.

For it to be a sphere, the N/S distance is half the E/W distance. However, it depends on the projection used.
Michael Poe
The Almighty Poe

Post by Michael Poe »

Basically, I need to make a new map, one that has the entirety of the anuban colonyies, and the dwarven lands on it. Also, in hind sight, Farrel and Veracia are just too damn close together on that one.