2010-09-02: What the Hell Am I Even Saying?

For talking about the plot, the art, the dialogue, the characters, the site, and the individual updates...
ChunLing
Advocate of Justice

Re: 2010-09-02: What the Hell Am I Even Saying?

Post by ChunLing »

Hmm...from what Meji just said, it seems that she has even less innate respect for other's lives than she did before.

That's pretty impressive.
Kill...more...elves.
Itterind
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by Itterind »

According to some metaphysical scholars there are three main components that humans regard as integral to their identity as individual sentients. While this in no way correlates fully to a collective plasma/psionic-waveform based aliens they might give us some overview.
They are: soul, personality and the material body (though this last intersects somewhat with the physical structure of our memory faculties).

It appears both left behind a considerable 'corpse' (not so much in Anilis' case), but witnessing the death of Senilis Anilis would very likely go on to make preperations for the death of her own physical body in order to preserve her personality and soul (though this latter term is very subjective as to whether it interacts with the physical world at all). But for the rather less spiritual interpretation of the comic's events it might be easier to consider the soul as the heart of the personality as any corpse with memories remaining in them will intensely impact someone's personality.

So looking at it through these terms I think Meji's body has assimilated Senilis' body and her soul has replaced the empty space where his was. I believe his personality is dead as well, but his memories and other physical faculties (such as being able to see down to that level) are impacting on her personality, like a graft similar to the old one but not the same thing.
Itterind
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by Itterind »

ChunLing wrote:Hmm...from what Meji just said, it seems that she has even less innate respect for other's lives than she did before.

That's pretty impressive.
Most any person, let alone a put-upon person (she's had a hard life), if suddenly ascended, will look down upon beings who are 'lesser' so intensely in numerous respects. It's perfectly natural, if slightly distasteful. I'm not worrying about her as she referred to the professor, an individual she has negative emotions for, as an individual and is only man-handling him for touching her.
I am slightly worried there will be violence, but overall my faith is in her not to resort to it without at least a somewhat adequate reason so I think the undertones of violence will remain at that. She probably just came to get her pass and passive-aggressively chew him out with her ascendancy. (Then again I had faith in Bani too to be a good soldier, but I'm willing to admit perhaps she had better judgement then me as Meji ended up with the power. ^^ yes, I do think that's a good thing)

Moreover the fact that she's immediately in the classroom after her ascendancy indicates a deep psychological resentment to the academic part of her upbringing and how it affected her life. She is entitled to be grouchy.

To conclude, yeah, I think she still respects human life and people. Scary little god girl ftw!

Plus, she's polite I just noticed. I know how a lot of people think that's immaterial, but it shows that she still understands and to some degree accepts social norms through her use of them. When yanking someone off you that hard it is good to add a 'please'.

'Please step out of the car Sir.' ^^ Lol, this kind of reminds me of Cartman, but she's not going to beat him to a mulch with whatever now passes for a godly police baton.

Poor Errant Story world... as good a thing as Meji is to counterbalance Ianilis and eventually benefit the world and space as she grows in experience it'd be even better off if she hadn't had such a broken home and retarded (as in not maturing/learning fast enough) academic life.
Last edited by Itterind on September 2nd, 2010, 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rakshasa Taisab
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by Rakshasa Taisab »

Itterind wrote:Poor Errant Story world... as good a thing as Meji is to counterbalance Ianilis and eventually benefit the world and space as she grows in experience it'd be even better off if she hadn't had such a broken home and retarded (as in not maturing/learning fast enough) academic life.
It has never been said she didn't manage to follow the academic progress that was demanded of her... Only that she skipped too many classes, etc.

She even claimed she was better than anyone else there, although that might have been exaggeration.
Aajav-Khan
Forum Regular

Post by Aajav-Khan »

So, the question about whether Meji is still Meji got partially answered. It is a tentatively good sign that she can distinguish between her own memories and those of the god essence.

Now hopefully the professor is quick on the intake. He should take a deep breath, try to calm down and then start with the obvious questions. Grabbing a person literally flaming with power is generally not a good way to start.
Initial B
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by Initial B »

Hmmm. It sounds like Meji is somewhat giddy with power - Very similar to Ian during this phase of his assimilation. However, Meji also seems to simultaneously at this point in his studies as well. All things considered, she seems to be progressing a lot faster than Ian along the road to godhood.

Also, the fact that she sees beyond quarks makes me wonder if she actually now understands the science behind magic - moreso that Ian does in his current state. The question is: are Meji and Ian now equals, or is one significantly more powerful than the other? And what happens when you get the two of them within spitting distance of each other? Does the collective take over or is there some chain reaction that obliterates all life as we know it?

I'm really looking forward to how this all pans out.
Itterind
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by Itterind »

Initial B wrote:Hmmm. It sounds like Meji is somewhat giddy with power - Very similar to Ian during this phase of his assimilation. However, Meji also seems to simultaneously at this point in his studies as well. All things considered, she seems to be progressing a lot faster than Ian along the road to godhood.

Also, the fact that she sees beyond quarks makes me wonder if she actually now understands the science behind magic - moreso that Ian does in his current state. The question is: are Meji and Ian now equals, or is one significantly more powerful than the other? And what happens when you get the two of them within spitting distance of each other? Does the collective take over or is there some chain reaction that obliterates all life as we know it?

I'm really looking forward to how this all pans out.
I think she (talks to him a bit then) kicks his ass. Hopefully without the nuclear explosion upon contact that you mention.

Btw., I don't believe its that similiar. She's giddy or dazed or a bit high, she's stalling at a meteoric uptake rate... Ian had temporarily regressed to when an average kid has just found out what's the naughty bits and that it provokes a reaction to say them.
Giddy versus one step out of diapers is far apart. And that's forgetting the periods he was flat out unconcious (I hold the earlier was an incubation or modification period rather than a power outage.)
ChunLing
Advocate of Justice

Post by ChunLing »

She's had a hard life
Most any person...if suddenly ascended, will look down upon beings who are 'lesser' so intensely in numerous respects.
my faith is in her

Well, okay then.
Kill...more...elves.
Macarius
New Poster

Post by Macarius »

The Prof seems a bit slow on the uptake. I mean, she is glowing, how could he miss that?
Teranar
New Poster

Post by Teranar »

I vote for the Mr. Saturn Font for Meji's god mode at least once, even if its just for a joke panel that isn't in the main comic. :P