2010-09-02: What the Hell Am I Even Saying?

For talking about the plot, the art, the dialogue, the characters, the site, and the individual updates...
raphfrk
Forum Regular

Re: 2010-09-02: What the Hell Am I Even Saying?

Post by raphfrk »

So, their magic theory is flawed because they were handed the concept rather than evolving it. I wonder if that means elves were given it by their gods or humans given it by the elves.

I wonder if the elves had to tweak humans slightly to enable them to use magic. This would mean that humans were almost able to use it without the elves.
Nell
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by Nell »

I think Poe needs a less roomy font...one of the narrows might do.

As for Meji, she really has no reason to respect any life whatsoever, especially now that she sees them as an interconnected cumulus of things. She has no reason to even care about her prior attachments if she's had them. Hell, relatives might just be discarded as part of a prior life now that she is a demigod. Life and emotions and humanity lose their meaning quickly when you see them in terms of neural biochemistry and hormones.
If you have no evidence she has empathy as she is now, you're probably setting yourself up by having faith on her.
Think of it this way: her teacher is akin to a populated petri dish under a microscope right now to her. Or one of those ball and stick compound toys for chemistry.
Precursor of wall-o-text post avalanches.
raphfrk
Forum Regular

Post by raphfrk »

Nell wrote:Think of it this way: her teacher is akin to a populated petri dish under a microscope right now to her. Or one of those ball and stick compound toys for chemistry.
OTOH, if that was true, why talk to the him? Ofc, maybe talking only uses up a tiny fraction of her awareness. Alternatively, maybe it is a little experiment to see his response to a threat.
Last edited by raphfrk on September 3rd, 2010, 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nell
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by Nell »

raphfrk wrote:
Nell wrote:Think of it this way: her teacher is akin to a populated petri dish under a microscope right now to her. Or one of those ball and stick compound toys for chemistry.
OTOH, if that was true, what talk to the him? Ofc, maybe talking only uses up a tiny fraction of her awareness. Alternatively, maybe it is a little experiment to see his response to a threat.

If I were to be made to undergo a fuckton of stress over graduation only to find out the people teaching me are at best neanderthaloid constructs who hardly know what they're talking about, I'd smear their stupidity in their faces to vent.
mindstalk
Typo-Seeking Missile

Post by mindstalk »

raphfrk wrote:So, their magic theory is flawed because they were handed the concept rather than evolving it. I wonder if that means elves were given it by their gods or humans given it by the elves.
Yes and yes seem the safe bets given what we know.
I wonder if the elves had to tweak humans slightly to enable them to use magic. This would mean that humans were almost able to use it without the elves.
Been no mention of that. Humans did have some mages, after training by elves.

...man, I hope most of you never get godlike power.
Bucky
New Poster

Post by Bucky »

Hmm, I guess this means that one more item off the 'ways to kill Ian' list won't work, at least on Meji (in this case, use an attack vector so obscure or complex that he/she cannot understand it well enough to defend).
Nell
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by Nell »

Well,if you squint at that piece of dialogue it seems that whatever put together mankind rushed them together as opposed to letting them evolve organically.
Either that or the concept is the result of the elves teaching them magic instead of letting humans discover it.
But how do you teach magic in the ES universe? do you need to enable it in an individual before they can use it?
Itterind
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by Itterind »

ChunLing wrote:
She's had a hard life

Well, okay then.

Sure. But ah, by 'so intensely' I didn't only mean that she's so much greater in those respects, but also that she'd been mistreated to a degree by the people she's looking down upon.
Anyway my trust in her character only extends so far as to believe she'll try her best and be a good counterbalance to Ian. I'm sure hordes of people will die.

Though on second thought just having ascended also gives her a closer link to her previously non-plasma-psionic-waveform (or 'lower' to be short) form of life, but I stand by my point that suddenly becoming what passes for a god in the neighborhood is bound to leave a lot (though perhaps not most) people looking down on their fellow brethren. It's just too much at once to grasp and extra-integrate into one's social and spiritual frame of values. Sure, one might say its easy for a god-like creature to just think 'hey, we're all equal' with all that god-like mental power at one's disposal, but I'd not be surprised even that level of mental competence would be taxed by such a meteoric, nigh-instant ascendancy.

raphfrk wrote:
OTOH, if that was true, what talk to the him? Ofc, maybe talking only uses up a tiny fraction of her awareness. Alternatively, maybe it is a little experiment to see his response to a threat.
I agree. Meji is treating him fairly well, so far, though there are disturbing undertones.
Importantly, there's little to indicate Anilis and Senilis disrespected 'lower' lifeforms and some evidence that they did respect 'lessers'.

To reverse an earlier observation by Nell it may be our fault for NOT respecting the petri dish. Personally I think that's fairly but not completely insane, but its possibly worth taking to mind given how far above us she'd be.
ChunLing
Advocate of Justice

Post by ChunLing »

I'll agree with mindstalk that it is to be hoped that most of you never aquire god-like power, given what you seem to think is the perfectly natural response to it.

On the other hand, I'm not big on hoping things.
Kill...more...elves.
SkArcher
Errant Scholar

Post by SkArcher »

Missing a 'd' on "supposed to be called"

Also, it seems that Meji-Senilis is more analytical, while Ian-Anilis is more emotional.