2010-09-06: A Brief Chain of Events

For talking about the plot, the art, the dialogue, the characters, the site, and the individual updates...
Itterind
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Re: 2010-09-06: A Brief Chain of Events

Post by Itterind »

I think he's going to make some sort of 'insightful' smart-arse remark.
Who knows, it may be a worthwhile one that could help her, or it could be stupid and push her closer to doing something stupid or bad.

Anyway, he's brave, but unrelentingly mean to Meji in both forms of the word. Also, Meji shouldn't threaten him with physical harm just because she can. Unless he is unstable which he doesn't appear to me I think she should allow him physical freedom until and if he grabs her again.

Forrest wrote:
Boss Out of Town wrote:You don't get a passing grade in chemistry, regardless of your result, if you blow yourself.
Maybe not, but that'll probably get you a passing grade in yoga.
Lol. !
I think he's being teacherly too btw... being 'insightful', but at the wrong time. Though actually the radical change to her could count as harming herself, which.... academically speaking, is a good argument.
Still, I think the way to go is to congratulate her and then repeat his concern early on...

Oh! Right. He was concerned early on! Back on that I suppose. That's kind of him, if poorly timed. I suppose he shouldn't have left it at dismissing her plans early on in the story and kept lecturing her about the dangers of becoming a demi-god and perhaps even that he doesn't award harming oneself... :P
But it is a bit presumptous to think he knows for sure she's harmed herself. I just wish he'd do this without provoking her, but otoh maybe its what she needs to hear... hah! Nevermind. I think she deserves a proper review of her project as well as a talk. I mean the talk is necessary and good and all, an outside opinion is good even though the person has much less mental capability than you, but first or at least along with the talk I think she deserves proper academic evaluation.

I mean, the girl has gone through hell and high water.

Edit: Hmmm, looking at the faces again. He seems more arrogant/mean/exasperated and Meji seems angrier, more violently unstable and more upset.
Initial B
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by Initial B »

The nutty professor brings up a valid point. Why does a pass or fail grade matter to Meji at this point? I'm thinking that she wants it to provide validation for her continued existence: To gain respect from her Mother and Grandfather (who both seem pretty cold to her in earlier chapters, despite the passion that Grandpa Hinadori showed defending her granddaughter's reputation from the elven ambassador).

It appears that Meji is still sorting out which memories are hers and which belong to the glowing ball of plasma, the ascendancy of whichever aspect depends on the situation and dialogue and remains in flux.
Neko7
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by Neko7 »

Could it be...?

Could it be that he is the only sensible adult that was thinking about Meji social well being and doing what everyone else were too scared of gramp's to do.

Force Meji to stay in the education structure until she is old enought to be as mature (as a 1/2 elf with slower physical and maturity devellopemet than human) as a human college graduate.

Sure she will get her grandpa upset, but not as much as he pretend he will be, and she would have a much better life looking and acting as the other adult instead than looking like a 12 years old girl around the other tallers/maturers people.
Nell
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by Nell »

Neko7 wrote:Could it be...?

Could it be that he is the only sensible adult that was thinking about Meji social well being and doing what everyone else were too scared of gramp's to do.

Force Meji to stay in the education structure until she is old enought to be as mature (as a 1/2 elf with slower physical and maturity devellopemet than human) as a human college graduate.

Sure she will get her grandpa upset, but not as much as he pretend he will be, and she would have a much better life looking and acting as the other adult instead than looking like a 12 years old girl around the other tallers/maturers people.
That would only be feasible if she could somehow cough up the god that just took residence in her.
It's a bit of an impediment to a normal life, just a tad.
Precursor of wall-o-text post avalanches.
Pallas
New Poster

Post by Pallas »

I just realized that despite having had a few facts presented to them several times already, nobody has really bothered to examine in-depth the fact that Meji is living in a literal "at school in your underwear nightmare" sort of situation while at the same time possessing godly powers.

She has just been told she was/is going to be given a failing grade, and seems to care about that more than anything else right now. It is a personal matter to her, apparently, despite how much is going on in her head. Which indicates to me that she is about to start thinking about other... personal matters, in a few updates. ;]

In short: What does a godling having an "at school in your underwear nightmare" do in response to discovering that they're not actually dreaming?

Also - I fully expect either a murderous rampage or a frenzied, panicked attempt at time travel gone wrong to be the answer to that question. Considering her tendencies towards physics/magic theory come first before application of said knowledge, or so it seems from that being the first thing she decided to investigate when she got there... I'd be more inclined to assume time travel attempt. Not to do anything drastic, just to prevent herself from showing up in her underwear in the immediate future.

Although that would just be what I'd *want* to see, not necessarily what'll happen. ;)
ChunLing
Advocate of Justice

Post by ChunLing »

You'd tamper with the fundamental structure of the universe just to avoid having been seen in your underwear?

I mean, I was rather amused when Ian accepted a pair of pants still warm from the buttocks of their previous wearer just to avoid further display of his naughty bits, so maybe I'm not the best judge of this. But still, doesn't that strike anyone else as a disproportionate response?
Kill...more...elves.
raphfrk
Forum Regular

Post by raphfrk »

Btw, I wonder what she was about to say

"... I'm not sure why that is important now, considering. And so, ..."

She almost said what her next step was going to be :).
Rakshasa Taisab
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by Rakshasa Taisab »

So what is Meji about to do that made General Izayoi's men able to locate her?

Turn the university into a giant mushroom? (Real mushroom, not the cloud kind)
cburke
Forum Trainee

Post by cburke »

Nell wrote:Does Yukkiri have a reason for blatantly pushing the envelope like that?
I really would like to hear why he won't pass her too.
Told ya he wasn't taking this seriously.
Nell
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by Nell »

cburke wrote:
Told ya he wasn't taking this seriously.
It makes no sense that he wouldn't! He has most likely heard of Ian, even if he doesn't know Anilis and Senilis per se. The fact she is overpowering him magically should be enough for him to approach her with caution and instead he's pissing her off.
Precursor of wall-o-text post avalanches.