2010-09-16: Grave Robbing

For talking about the plot, the art, the dialogue, the characters, the site, and the individual updates...
The Comment Golem
Unstoppable Posting Machine

2010-09-16: Grave Robbing

Post by The Comment Golem »

Discussion thread for Grave Robbing
Hell-Fox
New Poster

Re: 2010-09-16: Grave Robbing

Post by Hell-Fox »

Let the march of the elven undead begin! Interesting that he attacks with the monks first. Normally antagonists in this situation would use a mass of undead to wittle down the enemy BEFORE you send in your hard hitting infantry. Then again the young demi-god Ian has never really had a good track record for plans panning out as they were meant to be.
The palace of today is tomorrow's ruin, the maiden of the morning is the crone of the night, and the hope of a moment is but the foundation stone of everlasting regret.
Forrest
Finally, some love for the BJ!

Post by Forrest »

Maybe Ian plans were to send in the monks first, and stand back himself raising the dead, so the Elves think the monks are all there is coming, and when the Elves finally finish off the monks (who I'm guessing Ian doesn't really like to begin with, and is happy to be rid of), suddenly an unexpected army of the dead converges on the weakened 'victors' and finishes off the job.
-Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
ChunLing
Advocate of Justice

Post by ChunLing »

Has Ian sent in the monks, yet, though?

Presuming that he wants to draw the elves out and force them to commit before really scaring them, sending in the monks first does make more sense than starting with the undead or whatever it is that they've never seen before (besides the zombie thing!), except that we don't know exactly what the thing they've never seen before is, so he might have already done that...it does seem a better candidate for the sudden disruption than most anything else (though Mejinilis' waking might have had something to do with it).

So, is what Ian is planning to do that the elves have never seen before intended to directly prevent their escape, or is it something to make them curious/angry/distracted enough to not think of getting away? From the way he described the need for it to Anita, it would seem to be the latter. The problem for me is that I'd think something that the elves had seen before (or at least thought they'd seen before) would seem a safer way to trick them into committing than something they'd really never seen. For instance, a certain dangerous errant attacking with almost no evident support or plan. Then hit their responding forces with the monks while flooding the city itself with undead. Maybe the thing that they've never seen before comes last in all of that.
Kill...more...elves.
Forrest
Finally, some love for the BJ!

Post by Forrest »

Maybe he's going to chop off the top of the mountain the Elves are hiding under and let the undead flood in from the surface from all directions. Though if he's going to do that, might was well flip it around and drop it on them while he's at it. Makes a nice opening volley.

Then again, Elves has seen mountaintops chopped off and floating upside-down before *cough* so that's probably not it.
-Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
DatDude
Errant Scholar

Post by DatDude »

Ian's doing it again this time with the dead poor poor dead elves
The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile but that it is indifferent but if we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death however mutable man may be able to make them our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light. Stanley Kubrick
Nell
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by Nell »

...what would be a better background music for this comic? Thriller or Dance of the Sugarplum Fairy?
In either case "D:... DX" @ this development
Precursor of wall-o-text post avalanches.
anon200
New Poster

Post by anon200 »

how about the thriller lyrics to the sound of the Dance of the sugarplum fairy?
davester65
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by davester65 »

anon200 wrote:how about the thriller lyrics to the sound of the Dance of the sugarplum fairy?
Well, that would be something that the elves at least haven't heard before. Although if it exists there is probably an AMV on youtube using that song with clips from Hellsing or something. :roll:
"Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." - C.S. Lewis
Alberich
Noble Knight Protector

Post by Alberich »

Nell wrote:...what would be a better background music for this comic? Thriller or Dance of the Sugarplum Fairy?
Use the theme music from Plan 9 from Outer Space...dadta da da, dadta da da, vwooop vwoop vwoop..