2010-09-23: Character Motivations

For talking about the plot, the art, the dialogue, the characters, the site, and the individual updates...
The Comment Golem
Unstoppable Posting Machine

2010-09-23: Character Motivations

Post by The Comment Golem »

Discussion thread for Character Motivations
ratfox
Forum Regular

Re: 2010-09-23: Character Motivations

Post by ratfox »

Her MOM pushed her into it!? That's a serious blow to Sarine's image. I'm reminded of Meji in first chapter... "at least it's better than listening to mom bitching for three months"...
Sareth
RPG All-Star

Post by Sareth »

For someone several thousand years old, having all that happen in a week must be roughly equivalent to having someone knock on the door and say "Your husband just died, there's a bomb going to destroy your home town in 30 seconds, and lady, did you know you have a dead baby hanging out of your crotch? Oh, by the way, your mother thinks your a flake and wants you to get a job."
icekatze
Forum Regular

Post by icekatze »

hi hi

Sara doesn't seem to be very concerned about Sarine's talk about the Ensigerum. I would think that hearing about how your former affiliation killed your current boss' husband might at least make you pause and think for a second. Sarine's exposition must have really been going on for a long time.
mindstalk
Typo-Seeking Missile

Post by mindstalk »

I just note how Kawaii seems to be doing the hands over ears thing too, whether out of annoyance or "Fun!" imitation.
Aajav-Khan
Forum Regular

Post by Aajav-Khan »

This little discussion is something I have actually waited for some time. Sarine explaining some missing parts about her past ( namely how she ended up in the Rangers ). Oh, and poor Sara & Co :) .

In the last panel we can see a "delegation" coming to take them ( finally ) to a serious discussion. "The Councilors granddaughter just caused a...scene. Your help is required to find out what the ?%€& just happened. Please follow us."
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

Sareth wrote:For someone several thousand years old, having all that happen in a week must be roughly equivalent to having someone knock on the door and say "Your husband just died, there's a bomb going to destroy your home town in 30 seconds, and lady, did you know you have a dead baby hanging out of your crotch? Oh, by the way, your mother thinks your a flake and wants you to get a job."
The "mother wants you to get a job" part happened a long time after all the other stuff, but you're still right.

I really appreciate this bit of backstory, even though we already knew most of it. One thing we did not know is that Sarine's husband apparently was NOT Ensigerum. I'd been assuming that any human enlisted by the elves as elite warriors back then would have been in the order, whatever it was at the time. This knowledge is going to cause changes in a bit of fanfiction currently unfolding here...

Because old is wise, does good, and above all, kicks ass.
Initial B
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by Initial B »

Man, Sarine must have been like, what, at least a couple of hundred years old at that point and she still had to listen to a browbeating mom?! Talk about retarded social development! I couldn't imagine having to listen to my mom nag me for thousands of years - I think I'd snap.
mindstalk
Typo-Seeking Missile

Post by mindstalk »

I think Sarine's 3000, so she'd have been over 1000 at the time.

Her husband might have been Ensigerum; she'd still say he was killed by the Ensigerum if they killed him as a traitor on the other side.
Rakshasa Taisab
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by Rakshasa Taisab »

mindstalk wrote:Her husband might have been Ensigerum; she'd still say he was killed by the Ensigerum if they killed him as a traitor on the other side.
Don't think there were that many human Ensigerum with pointy ears...