2010-09-30: They're asking for help.

For talking about the plot, the art, the dialogue, the characters, the site, and the individual updates...
Intrope
Heretical Monk

Re: 2010-09-30: They're asking for help.

Post by Intrope »

taltamir wrote:i see no contradiction between those two statements.

PS. if meji really was seeing future versions of herself and ian, then neither of them would die.
Future!Ian didn't seem very with it though. Brain damage from the headshot?
Boss Out of Town
Team Captain

Post by Boss Out of Town »

"We've interpreted the looped message from Elves . . . something about 3000 years of bad karma catching up to them . . ."
History celebrates the battlefields whereon we meet our death, but scorns to speak of the plowed fields whereby we thrive; it knows the names of kings’ bastards but cannot tell us the origin of wheat. This is the way of human folly. --- Henry Fabre
ChunLing
Advocate of Justice

Post by ChunLing »

Well, to be fair here, I think that the Errant war took care of most of their previous karma. So they only had the last couple hundred years to catch up on this time.
Kill...more...elves.
Initial B
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by Initial B »

The Tsuraikans need to balance the chance to have the elves owe them a tremendously against the wrath of Ian. I'm sure they realize the elves are a dying race and it might not be in their best interests to sence forces to them. Deniable forces, like Sarine and company, might suit them nicely.

Still, I expect PA to be a smoking crater by the time this ends...
ratfox
Forum Regular

Post by ratfox »

I still did not get why Anita believes it is a good move to wipe out the elves. She should reasonably expect to have a good part of the ensigerum wiped out in the battle... And it's not like she cares about wars that happened centuries ago.
mindstalk
Typo-Seeking Missile

Post by mindstalk »

Ian Victorious: "My people of Santuariel need a new, more worthy home. Hmm, the city meant for half-elves should do nicely."
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

ratfox wrote:I still did not get why Anita believes it is a good move to wipe out the elves. She should reasonably expect to have a good part of the ensigerum wiped out in the battle... And it's not like she cares about wars that happened centuries ago.
Several reasons, although I'm not necessarily sure that most of them are good reasons.

Anita, in her own bizarre way, is still a traditionalist, and she knows the history of the Ensigerum. She DOES care about wars that happened centuries ago, and certainly about the way the elves treated her distant forebears; she made that clear in the monologue to Ianilis back on the rooftop. The Ensigerum have harbored resentment for the elves ever since, and it isn't just Anita. Remember the way Warrel addressed Sarine? There's clearly no racial love lost there.

Second, remember that she's advocated a bigger role for the Ensigerum in the wide, wide world ever since we've seen her. Laying aside whether this is a good idea :evil: , the basic political idea is at least consistent with this mission. With the Gewehr wiped out or at least chased back to Farrel, the Ensigerum have no enemies BUT the elves.

Finally, and maybe a better idea than the others, Anita is shrewd enough to know which side her bread is buttered on. After Ianilis got hauled into the Ensigerum village, the traditional Ensigerum policy of ignoring the outside world except on a contract basis was out the window; they were involved with him whether they liked it or not. So which side would you rather be on in those conditions -- the hammer's, or the nail's?

What I don't get is why Tsuiraku thinks they have a dog in this fight, other than to conduct very careful reconnaissance. They're about to send a rescue mission to "help" a people that they were just about at war with four hours earlier. How do they even know which side they're on in that battle? Yes, the plot of the comic demands it :? , but one would really think that fact finding would go on first.

Because old is wise, does good, and above all, kicks ass.
Neko7
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by Neko7 »

What I don't get is why Tsuiraku thinks they have a dog in this fight, other than to conduct very careful reconnaissance. They're about to send a rescue mission to "help" a people that they were just about at war with four hours earlier. How do they even know which side they're on in that battle? Yes, the plot of the comic demands it , but one would really think that fact finding would go on first.
Knowledge, technology, survival (no one said that once he wipe the elf/magical race, Ian will not go for the next most magical population, didn't he started by wiping the most solide magical concentration/construct a.k.a. Luminosita) (sure WE know he isn't after them, but this is a acceptation risque consideration as far as THEY know)

Just in case: Am I the only one who think that the force feld they are talking about could be not from the elves, but from Ianilis, just to prevent the elves to be able to run away and/or receive reenforcement/help ?
Alberich
Noble Knight Protector

Post by Alberich »

Dallen Andair wrote:A perfect mix of epic badass and casual anticlimax. Perfect for Ian. Stupendous final showdown? No. Insultingly uncaring execution? Yes.
Another possibility, if some of the previous conjectures are right, and the time monks are fueled by Exitalis - when Meji, the monks, and Ian are all there at once:

S&A&E: Suddenly we feel strangely drawn...
E: You two are still around?
S&A: But this means we can reform the original collective - we don't have to die at all!
E: And no more splitting.
All 3: Let's blow this popsicle stand.
SFX: Vwoooosh!

Ian, disempowered, crashes to the ground - possibly too woozy for a slow fall spell. Then the question remains how many combatants are left, either to slug it out the old-fashioned way or to admit there's nothing left to fight about.
Nell
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by Nell »

The force field is most def from Ian. He's not taking any chances.
And that's why I'm hoping for baka fae exposition. Them going to war just like that with no analysis seems...off.
Precursor of wall-o-text post avalanches.