2011-01-10: New Year, New Webcomics!

For talking about the plot, the art, the dialogue, the characters, the site, and the individual updates...
Immanio
Forum Regular

Re: 2011-01-10: New Year, New Webcomics!

Post by Immanio »

Hmm, I'm getting "Sorry, we are not shipping to your region at this time." when trying to order the subscription (having chosen the option for outside the US, of course). Does this mean no dead tree Errant Tales for Norwegians?
Imp-Chan
Not Yet Dead
Twitter @: ImpChan

Post by Imp-Chan »

Immanio wrote:Hmm, I'm getting "Sorry, we are not shipping to your region at this time." when trying to order the subscription (having chosen the option for outside the US, of course). Does this mean no dead tree Errant Tales for Norwegians?
It shouldn't be giving you that message at all... Will you PM kaitou the details so he can fix it? I can't right now, we're leaving for Alabama again pretty much now. I also haven't slept (will nap at a rest stop en route). Rest assured, there is definitely dead tree Errant Tales for Norwegians.

-_-'

Edit: Okay, it should be fixed now. Have at!
Because scary little devil girls have to stick together.
Itterind
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by Itterind »

Imp-Chan wrote:In terms of art style, we are not attempting to match Poe's ES style for these stories at all. Why should we? Poe's a decent artist, but there are tons of even better artists out there, and I won't hire anyone who I don't feel is at least as good. The artists that I'm choosing all have in common that they've impressed me, but other than that they're wildly diverse and each is working on a story that fits their individual style and interests. Part of the goal of Errant Tales is to open up the Errant World and see it from the broader perspective of history. I think opening up the art style suits that, and it will ultimately make for better comics to push the limits of style rather than trying to set them. At the end of the day, it'll still be Poe's stories on the page.

To be clear, this is not at all about outsourcing to desperate wannabes just to get the job done. That's just... reprehensible. The artists we're hiring for Errant Tales are all professional-grade, and they're being treated like it and paid like it. Our page rates are not the highest, but they are fair and we more than make up the difference with the rest of the contract. Our attorney even called our terms "unorthodox in how much it gives to the artist," which I took to be an enormous compliment. I didn't have much in the way of personal artistic goals for this expansion since I figure that should be something that comes from the script and from the artists and my job is really just to polish what's already there, but I did have the goal of being an awesome studio to work for, and that means being very respectful and fair to all of our artists and making sure they have a great experience on the project. I take that very seriously, and I really hope you'll all be supportive of the artists we're working with.

^-^'
I'm sure God will bless you for your kindness and wisdom in your employment methods.

I'm looking forward to the prequel (even though I'm desiring the sequel foremost)!

~lots of love from a longtime ES reader
(I think I joined somewhere around the time Meji just made her way into the library, or a bit sooner if I count my expedition into the Exploitation Now! archives)

I'm gonna try to buy all the Errant Story books before u start the next one!
Juhkystar
One Post Wonder

Post by Juhkystar »

Whoo! I can't believe I missed this announcement! If only I wasn't such a broke college bloke at the moment, I'd grad the subscription right away. ^_^ Also, DNPWWO is looking pretty good so far! =D
Namaphry
One Post Wonder

Post by Namaphry »

Yikes! I should read the newsposts more often. I thought there was still more than a year to go in Errant Story, maybe three. I guess it's going to be a busy few months.

Well, anyway, this is one of my all-time favourite comics. I like the characters, world, and story very much, possibly more than any others, and have been drawing a lot for it for the RPGs I run and play in. I even tried running a game in the setting, but the players all ended up arrested or fugitives after the second session and I couldn't get them to coordinate a jailbreak, so that fell a bit flat.

The themes in the story aren't all that new and the characters call plenty of attention to it, but I love the way it reinterprets them. I guess I'm a big fan of post-modernism. I also think the reason I like Errant Story so much is because it feels a lot like what I would come up with when developing my own fantasy setting, if I didn't let myself get bogged down by all the dungeon fantasy and expectations of grand heroism that are out there. On second thought, I'm a BIG fan of post-modernism, and going along with that, of intelligent characters like Poe's so good at creating.

But as long as the story can reach its intended conclusion, I've got nothing to complain about. I don't even have to be sad, although I am very curious. And I'll still be a fan of you guys, even if I'm not a fan of the new comics... Long-running, consistent story comics are the only kind I can seem to get attached to. ...but I think I've only ever read one that reached its conclusion, so I guess I have something to be thankful for, here!

Woo... I won't judge DPWNEOW until I see it, though. I've got a few gag-a-day strips I read that invoke the wrong kind of 'gagging', and I could use a good break from routine.