2011-01-10: New Year, New Webcomics!

For talking about the plot, the art, the dialogue, the characters, the site, and the individual updates...
Forrest
Finally, some love for the BJ!

Re: 2011-01-10: New Year, New Webcomics!

Post by Forrest »

Ahh, that was going to be my next question. I remember mention of an Errant Story sequel (two now?), and was wondering if this Errant Tales was it. I'm curious, is the half-troll girl we've seen here and there from the sequel(s) proper, or just Errant Tales?
-Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
Slamlander
Keeper of the Holy Algorithms
Location: Nyon, CH, near Geneve, on the shores of the Lac Leman. The heart of Suisse Romande.

Post by Slamlander »

I am very glad that you two are taking it to the next level. Happy New Year and best of wishes from The Slamlander!
S L A M L A N D E R
Isn't Sarine technically a MILF?
Rakshasa Taisab
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by Rakshasa Taisab »

What will the art style of these outsourced works (made by impoverished artists in developing countries) really be like?

Can we expect excellent quality that matches the current ES style perfectly in a way only managed by starving North Korean artists fearing a trip to the happy camps, or can we expect meh kinda similar but actually based on some idiotic idea of giving the thing a new more interesting style lol wtf.
kaitou
Almighty Systems Admin
Twitter @: kaitou_

Post by kaitou »

pillar_of_hate wrote: ALSO the "About" and "Studio" tabs just redirect to "#" if you click on them (not the drop-down menus, the actual tabs themselves), in case you want to fix that.
That's what was planned for the pull-down titles. Works the same way as it does on the ES site. Doesn't mean we won't change it, though...
Imp-Chan
Not Yet Dead
Twitter @: ImpChan

Post by Imp-Chan »

Rakshasa Taisab wrote:What will the art style of these outsourced works (made by impoverished artists in developing countries) really be like?

Can we expect excellent quality that matches the current ES style perfectly in a way only managed by starving North Korean artists fearing a trip to the happy camps, or can we expect meh kinda similar but actually based on some idiotic idea of giving the thing a new more interesting style lol wtf.
Wow, that's kind of an insulting thing to ask, I hope you were just joking... It sounds like you were?

Just in case you weren't, since I'm taking on the role of art director for this project I'll go ahead and answer that.

In terms of art style, we are not attempting to match Poe's ES style for these stories at all. Why should we? Poe's a decent artist, but there are tons of even better artists out there, and I won't hire anyone who I don't feel is at least as good. The artists that I'm choosing all have in common that they've impressed me, but other than that they're wildly diverse and each is working on a story that fits their individual style and interests. Part of the goal of Errant Tales is to open up the Errant World and see it from the broader perspective of history. I think opening up the art style suits that, and it will ultimately make for better comics to push the limits of style rather than trying to set them. At the end of the day, it'll still be Poe's stories on the page.

To be clear, this is not at all about outsourcing to desperate wannabes just to get the job done. That's just... reprehensible. The artists we're hiring for Errant Tales are all professional-grade, and they're being treated like it and paid like it. Our page rates are not the highest, but they are fair and we more than make up the difference with the rest of the contract. Our attorney even called our terms "unorthodox in how much it gives to the artist," which I took to be an enormous compliment. I didn't have much in the way of personal artistic goals for this expansion since I figure that should be something that comes from the script and from the artists and my job is really just to polish what's already there, but I did have the goal of being an awesome studio to work for, and that means being very respectful and fair to all of our artists and making sure they have a great experience on the project. I take that very seriously, and I really hope you'll all be supportive of the artists we're working with.

^-^'
Because scary little devil girls have to stick together.
ChunLing
Advocate of Justice

Post by ChunLing »

It's times like this when your avatar is so perfect, Impy.

That doesn't mean it's good for people to ask questions like that, but somehow the answer looks better with your avatar than it would with...say, mine.
Kill...more...elves.
Immanio
Forum Regular

Post by Immanio »

As someone who's been following ES since the beginning, and EN as well (I seem to remember I finished reading EN just as ES started), I'll definitely be following both Errant Tales and DNPWWO. Best of luck in your endeavours.

As for forum crowd, something tells me it's not in danger of quite reaching the levels of surreal debauchery of the old Kyhm forums.
Forrest
Finally, some love for the BJ!

Post by Forrest »

Indeed, even my intended efforts to fill in in Labrat's absence have been sore lacking for the past few... years....
-Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
Viking-Sensei
Evil Admin Overlord
Twitter @: Kallisti_x

Post by Viking-Sensei »

Where can I get in on the slave North Korean artist action? Drawing two of my own webcomics - while still holding down a 40+ hour a week job - is fucking hard.
How could a plan this awesome possibly fail?
Imp-Chan
Not Yet Dead
Twitter @: ImpChan

Post by Imp-Chan »

Psst... there will be an official newspost about this going up later this week, but I thought I'd sneak a link in early for you guys.

^-^'
Because scary little devil girls have to stick together.