2011-01-27: Good Night, Old Man

For talking about the plot, the art, the dialogue, the characters, the site, and the individual updates...
The Comment Golem
Unstoppable Posting Machine

2011-01-27: Good Night, Old Man

Post by The Comment Golem »

Discussion thread for Good Night, Old Man
Slamlander
Keeper of the Holy Algorithms
Location: Nyon, CH, near Geneve, on the shores of the Lac Leman. The heart of Suisse Romande.

Re: 2011-01-27: Good Night, Old Man

Post by Slamlander »

That is actually a touching moment. (pun not entirely unintended ;) ) Meji is acting so sane that it's getting scary.
S L A M L A N D E R
Isn't Sarine technically a MILF?
Forrest
Finally, some love for the BJ!

Post by Forrest »

Agreed, except for the scary part.
-Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
Aajav-Khan
Forum Regular

Post by Aajav-Khan »

Slamlander wrote:Meji is acting so sane that it's getting scary.
I agree. Hopefully this is not just a phase that ends the moment she comes face to face with Ian.
Rakshasa Taisab
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by Rakshasa Taisab »

Impressive by grandpa to keep his ploy going despite knowing that there would be a very, very small chance he'd successfully put her to sleep.
Initial B
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by Initial B »

Agreed on the touching bit, but what's noticable here is that Meji didn't have to incant anything to cast the spell, so her level of control seems to be increasing. As for the sane part, I think its more a matter of Meji maturing and having access to god-plasma memories. If you average out the ages and life experiences of the two combinants, Meji is now probably the wisest being on the planet (next to Ian, of course).
ratfox
Forum Regular

Post by ratfox »

Initial B wrote:Meji is now probably the wisest being on the planet (next to Ian, of course).
Next to Ian?? What is this, an attempt at a joke?

In Ian, wisdom has long left the building, and slammed the door behind. Right about the moment he tried to resurrect his sister. :|
ChunLing
Advocate of Justice

Post by ChunLing »

Using the term "wisdom" in connection with Meji was a bad start anyway.
Kill...more...elves.
Dallen Andair
Errant Scholar

Post by Dallen Andair »

And in one page, we get an up-front view of just how much gramps loves Meji. He had to try, even if he was pretty much certain it wouldn't work. That was a stupendous scene, Poe.

I really hope Poe doesn't go for a downer ending. Aside from simply not liking those, I don't think Gramps would ever forgive himself for not being able to stop Meji.
Yenhael: Nein! Nein! Nein! Nein! Nein!
Ian: Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes!
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

Dallen Andair wrote:I really hope Poe doesn't go for a downer ending. Aside from simply not liking those, I don't think Gramps would ever forgive himself for not being able to stop Meji.
+10000.

The irony to all this is that Meji remains, in many regards, the least "likable" of the main characters among the Good Guys. Jon, Sara, Misa, Bani, above all Sarine, all are characters that I just don't want something bad to happen to. Gramps has now joined that list. Meji ... well, let's see just what it is that she's turning into, but there's hope.

And I second the sentiment that that was a tremendous scene. It ranks right up there with the time Sarine pulled the covers over the sleeping Meji, when it dawned on Sarine just what was going on with Miyo, maybe a few others. Poe has developed into a terrific storyteller.

Because old is wise, does good, and above all, kicks ass.