2011-01-31: Stop mucking around!

For talking about the plot, the art, the dialogue, the characters, the site, and the individual updates...
wrog
Errant Scholar

Re: 2011-01-31: Stop mucking around!

Post by wrog »

Slamlander wrote:Bets are being taken that Meji flies to Praenubilis Astu directly, getting there just when the first wave of reinforcements arrive, at 2100 :) .
personal. warp. gate.
Flintlock
Forum Regular

Post by Flintlock »

wrog wrote:
Slamlander wrote:Bets are being taken that Meji flies to Praenubilis Astu directly, getting there just when the first wave of reinforcements arrive, at 2100 :) .
personal. warp. gate.
Hmm, I reckon by magic...
"Space is big. Really big." - Douglas Adams
Rakshasa Taisab
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by Rakshasa Taisab »

How about just warping all the ships out there to have some backup?
ChunLing
Advocate of Justice

Post by ChunLing »

I'm thinking that they would need to either shrink those ships a lot or use bigger warp-gates. I don't know if either is really that feasible.

So does everyone think those things are bombs rather than, say, magical fuel rods for the levitation devices in the airships?
Kill...more...elves.
cburke
Forum Trainee

Post by cburke »

ChunLing wrote:I'm thinking that they would need to either shrink those ships a lot or use bigger warp-gates. I don't know if either is really that feasible.

So does everyone think those things are bombs rather than, say, magical fuel rods for the levitation devices in the airships?
It's a good point; they could be anything. But they sure do look a lot like ordinance, especially stacked up like that on the pallet.

Maybe part of why is that with the golem there doing the heavy lifting, I can't help but think of the similar load-up scene from Aliens, only with the Tsuiraikuans (sp?) showing they can do it one better than the space marines with their power loader not having to have a person in the thing and all exposed and eat-able. The power loader is still cooler, despite being less practical for combat situations. Or due to? :)

My question with Meji and the airships is: will she want to bring them at all, making them once again the last people to arrive where the crisis is? It makes me wonder if some combination of arrogance and caring about unnecessary deaths will make her think she can get by without them in her way.
4uk4ata
Errant Scholar

Post by 4uk4ata »

I must be getting cynical with age. My first thought is that Tsuiraku wants to do damage control and just bomb the entire place to smithereens - Ian, elves, and their own team included.
ChunLing
Advocate of Justice

Post by ChunLing »

Even I am not that cynical. But Poe might be.
Kill...more...elves.
Brellchild
New Poster

Post by Brellchild »

Point of note here - Meji does not in any way, shape, or form have clearance to be on a military vessel and certainly she can't put the whole ship to sleep. Since her friend is conveniently right there (assuming that is him) obviously she is somehow going to get him to sneak her on board.

I don't see Meji flying there on her own or making her own warp gate. While she certainly could do that in the future she is still a little new to her abilities and is going into what is probably a war zone (good to have backup and to conserve power). If she knew where the advance party was and how they got there (she knows neither yet) then she would head down to the warp platform they used and follow them that way.

Since she only knows that they already left but does not know they arrived (or how), she probably scanned around for the biggest concentration of active military magic and went there on the assumption that it would lead her to the relief expedition. While she will doubtless be quite vexed when she finds her friends Gated there at least she has the consolation of seeing big explosions if/when those bombs we see loading get dropped/launched.

And this is Meji. Can you see her *not* secretly dreaming all her life of seeing those big ships in action and fighting?

I predict this ship is going to make record time getting to the elf city and the captain will have no idea why...
ChunLing
Advocate of Justice

Post by ChunLing »

I don't know...I think that Meji's opinion of the military is that it may be more respectable than burger flipping, but she'd still rather be any kind of civilian instead.

Given that, I don't know that it is her life-long dream to be aboard a "carrier" airship as it attacks a demi-god, particularly one that she'd rather do something other than fight with.

That said, we probably are seeing these ships for a reason, so Meji probably is going to...stow away? They do have magic detectors there...and they'll probably want to use them when they get in range of Ian. Maybe she'll jump out and fly the rest of the way then? Or, Meji is just going to hop off the nearest edge of the city and fly there herself. Energy conservation as such doesn't seem to be as big a deal as control and focus anyway. If she does that, then obviously these convenient ships would be scrambled to pursue.
Kill...more...elves.