2011-02-28: Chapter Forty-Nine: Battlefield

For talking about the plot, the art, the dialogue, the characters, the site, and the individual updates...
The Comment Golem
Unstoppable Posting Machine

2011-02-28: Chapter Forty-Nine: Battlefield

Post by The Comment Golem »

Discussion thread for Chapter Forty-Nine: Battlefield
CptNerd
Forum Regular
Twitter @: CptNerd

Re: 2011-02-28: Chapter Forty-Nine: Battlefield

Post by CptNerd »

Scary. Little. Devil. Girl.

The grin makes her scarier.
wrog
Errant Scholar

Post by wrog »

yep. scariest cover page so far.
Viking-Sensei
Evil Admin Overlord
Twitter @: Kallisti_x

Post by Viking-Sensei »

The mouseover text makes it all the worse.
How could a plan this awesome possibly fail?
Dallen Andair
Errant Scholar

Post by Dallen Andair »

Yikes. Awesome page.

I wonder...if it comes to a showdown between Meji and Ian, how it would pan out. All in all, I've always had the sense that as young as Meji is, she had both more power and more control over it than Ian, with the latter being far more important. Ian always struck me as a talented, but self-taught mage. Someone who would have really benefited from a good, dependable teacher to bring out his skills.

Meji, for all that she is a self-serving teenager (as we all were at one time) has received professional training and teaching. Though the words come from her own mouth in the beginning of the story, she may very well have been dammed near a prodigy with her skills; outpacing her classmates and worrying her instructors. What with her avowed lust for more power and all.

I'm thinking that if Meji and Ian face off, Ian might just find himself completely outmatched. Hence Meji's smirk on this cover page.

Edit: Also, Ian has seemed to work his magic through intuition thus far, going from eureka moment to eureka moment and doing things by feel. Meji seems to prefer a more measured and scientific approach. Ian feels how magic works, but Meji's been taught to know how it works, and Senilis seems to back that up with his quantifying of magicical forces with mathematical equations and processes.

If thats the case, Ian is terminally screwed.
Yenhael: Nein! Nein! Nein! Nein! Nein!
Ian: Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes!
ChunLing
Advocate of Justice

Post by ChunLing »

Ian was terminally screwed from the moment he was conceived (and why don't we have a fun back-story about what what half-elf laddie was stupid enough to put it in Ian's mom, eh? More than once, even).

But I doubt that Anilis and Senilis are going to be willing to duke it out over some not even very significant disagreement between their respective rides over the exact protocol for exterminating the elves. If it comes to that, Meji and Senilis seem to be on some kind of speaking terms, so he can just ask her, "Do you want ultimate power or do you want to continue interfering with our termination of a failed experiment?" Once the choice is couched in those terms, I think we all know which Meji will choose. Meji also knows which she will choose. It's just that everyone has tried very hard to make her believe that is not the choice. Which is only prudent of them.
Kill...more...elves.
Itterind
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by Itterind »

Dallen Andair wrote: If thats the case, Ian is terminally screwed.
I agree, but if it isn't exceptionally scripted some tension as to whether she wins might be required.
Last edited by Itterind on February 28th, 2011, 6:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rakshasa Taisab
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by Rakshasa Taisab »

ChunLing wrote:Ian was terminally screwed from the moment he was conceived (and why don't we have a fun back-story about what what half-elf laddie was stupid enough to put it in Ian's mom, eh? More than once, even).
That is a good explanation if you're in favor of GENOCIDE! for the fun of it.

However since WWII we like to work with more balanced views of Nature vs. Nurture, and while Ian might have had higher potential for going full crazy that does not mean it was destined. An unfortunate tangle of bad situation and latent problems.
Itterind
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by Itterind »

ChunLing wrote:Ian was terminally screwed from the moment he was conceived (and why don't we have a fun back-story about what what half-elf laddie was stupid enough to put it in Ian's mom, eh? More than once, even).

But I doubt that Anilis and Senilis are going to be willing to duke it out over some not even very significant disagreement between their respective rides over the exact protocol for exterminating the elves. If it comes to that, Meji and Senilis seem to be on some kind of speaking terms, so he can just ask her, "Do you want ultimate power or do you want to continue interfering with our termination of a failed experiment?" Once the choice is couched in those terms, I think we all know which Meji will choose. Meji also knows which she will choose. It's just that everyone has tried very hard to make her believe that is not the choice. Which is only prudent of them.
I still strongly believe Senilis is gone. The chapter title also says 'battlefield' now and I don't think that leads into Meji helping with the extermination or negotiating with Ianilis, but I commend your confidence.

Anyway, this is a much-looked forward to chapter ^^
Godlings duking it out. Yay~
Slamlander
Keeper of the Holy Algorithms
Location: Nyon, CH, near Geneve, on the shores of the Lac Leman. The heart of Suisse Romande.

Post by Slamlander »

Ian is a demi-god and so is Meji but no one else, AFAICT.
Wasn't it established, in the hunt for Senilis, that neither god you inhabit an Elf? That the elves are resistant to them? Senilis actually tried and look what happened.

Yes, Meji-Senilis will kick some righteous butt over Ian-Anilis.
S L A M L A N D E R
Isn't Sarine technically a MILF?