2011-09-05: Repop

For talking about the plot, the art, the dialogue, the characters, the site, and the individual updates...
Initial B
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Re: 2011-09-05: Repop

Post by Initial B »

I seem to recall that back when Meji was talking to her future self, it was intimated that something possibly tragic had happened that her future self didn't want her to know about. Perhaps finding out Ian Dispelled Ellis might make her go all Super-Sayan Level 4 and vapourize everything within a 10 km radius.

Then again, at Meji's power level, what's to keep her from simply reassembling all of Ellis' thoughts and atoms out of thin air?

Still, I expect Ian to put up some sort of resistance when Meji orders him to cease and desist. That should make for some awesome fight scenes before the finale.
Ori Klein
Forum Regular

Post by Ori Klein »

eee wrote:Croly Hap! She actually managed to get them there without losing a ship or killing someone! THAT'S a surprise!
Was erm...
Windwalker666 wrote:
Windwalker666 wrote:$50's says Meji liquefies half the crew , but actually gets there 5 seconds before they leave.
$50 is a bit steep for my minimum wage, but I'll take you on for that against another $15 to the CAS donation meter.
Okay, lets make a deal. Loser donates $15 to the donation meter. E-shake?
Madayar
Forum Regular
Twitter @: Madayar

Post by Madayar »

Aw, "pop"? I was so hoping for "ptui" or "sprotz" or something.

Yeah, Meiji, Ellis is dead. So, ahm...wanna talk it over with your boyfriend?
"Writers live in the worlds of books they've not yet written."
DatDude
Errant Scholar

Post by DatDude »

Wow we really are coming up on the end of this little romp poes had us on for almost a decade.

Bye bye Ellis i loved your sarcasm.

Lol it dawns on me Meji still hasn't gotten laid. :lol:
The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile but that it is indifferent but if we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death however mutable man may be able to make them our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light. Stanley Kubrick
ChunLing
Advocate of Justice

Post by ChunLing »

I really have trouble understanding this deep bond that's supposed to exist between Meji and Ellis. No, she didn't accidentally kill him with the apparently not fully intentional transformation into a different kind of creature, no, she's never actually managed to permanently harm him before, yes, she appreciates that having Ellis around helped her seem less dangerously insane by comparison (although she may have already forgotten that by now)...I'm not saying that she won't go batshit insane and blow up reality, just that I will merely laugh if she claims to be doing so to avenge her finally dead cat.

Also, Meji is as surprised as anyone else that she didn't kill all her friends yet. And she's aware that she's surprised by that.
Kill...more...elves.
eee
Errant Scholar

Post by eee »

Initial B wrote:I seem to recall that back when Meji was talking to her future self, it was intimated that something possibly tragic had happened that her future self didn't want her to know about. Perhaps finding out Ian Dispelled Ellis might make her go all Super-Sayan Level 4 and vapourize everything within a 10 km radius.
I suspect all those future-Ian intimated Meji kills will be the result more of her attempts to do good that go horribly wrong, than her losing control...
Initial B wrote:Then again, at Meji's power level, what's to keep her from simply reassembling all of Ellis' thoughts and atoms out of thin air?
Ian tried that with his sister. You can restore life but it's an empty shell, with something vital missing...
Initial B wrote:Still, I expect Ian to put up some sort of resistance when Meji orders him to cease and desist. That should make for some awesome fight scenes before the finale.
I would imagine it will go

Meji: Stop. Now.
Ian: You spoiled, pampered brat, I-
Meji: (blasts him through mountain high into the air) That was not a request. (to Sarine and Jon) I'm going after him, get everyone who wants to live off this continent, this is going to get bad.
Itterind
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by Itterind »

eee wrote:Croly Hap! She actually managed to get them there without losing a ship or killing someone! THAT'S a surprise!

I fully expect that in the next few seconds Meji, desperate to save Ellis, will smash through the barrier without even realizing what she's doing, burrow into the mountain faster than a speeding bullet, and reach Ian hopefully in time to keep Ellis among the living. After which, things may get... messy...
I so wish that were true, but it seems exceedingly unlikely, given the art of this chapter and the first one in mind. *sigh*

I.... always thought he'd be ok, especially after buying that poster where he gets smashed by a snowball. Maybe Meji makes a copy of him and accepts it as the magical clone it is, to keep the Paedagogusi company.
Initial B wrote:I seem to recall that back when Meji was talking to her future self, it was intimated that something possibly tragic had happened that her future self didn't want her to know about. Perhaps finding out Ian Dispelled Ellis might make her go all Super-Sayan Level 4 and vapourize everything within a 10 km radius.
I agree she loves her lifemate/pet, but I don't think she's as psycho as most people inside and outside the story claim, and anyways that explosion would have to vaporize a lot of very heavy titanium plot-shields. It couldn't happen unless Poe decided to go grim-dark on us and also decided not to leave the possibility of a sequel.

Who was it who had a 15 out of an optimal 50 dollar donation bet if they were wrong about half the crew being vaporized by Meji? I'll take you up on another 15 so you get to 30 on your bet, if you want. : )

ChunLing wrote:I really have trouble understanding this deep bond that's supposed to exist between Meji and Ellis. No, she didn't accidentally kill him with the apparently not fully intentional transformation into a different kind of creature, no, she's never actually managed to permanently harm him before, yes, she appreciates that having Ellis around helped her seem less dangerously insane by comparison (although she may have already forgotten that by now)...I'm not saying that she won't go batshit insane and blow up reality, just that I will merely laugh if she claims to be doing so to avenge her finally dead cat.

Also, Meji is as surprised as anyone else that she didn't kill all her friends yet. And she's aware that she's surprised by that.
Crucify the non-believer!
Lol, just kidding of course.
I agree she won't just claim that she's avenging Ellis, that'll just be her major personal reason, I think, along with him almost being directly responsible for killing Sarine (whom she cares for somewhat, though I don't know how much) and indirectly responsible for putting other of her friends in danger. Her major logical reason I think is she's philosophically and morally opposed to GENOCIDE!.

I do think she had a deep bond with Ellis though.

PS. Wrote I forgot that Meji stated she was surprised she hadn't killed her friends yet, but I couldn't find it. Did you mean the most recent statement, 'you can all applaud'? I think she's just proud. In general Meji jokes a lot, she's a half-serious kidder, I think.
Last edited by Itterind on September 6th, 2011, 11:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Forrest
Finally, some love for the BJ!

Post by Forrest »

eee wrote:
Initial B wrote:Then again, at Meji's power level, what's to keep her from simply reassembling all of Ellis' thoughts and atoms out of thin air?
Ian tried that with his sister. You can restore life but it's an empty shell, with something vital missing...
If Ellis is a magical construct to begin with, which the ability to simply disspel him would imply, then there shouldn't be anything special there to begin with, and you really could just build a new one.

Then again, if the gods created the Elves etc ex nihlo, then shouldn't someone with their power be able to recreate true life from scratch just as genuinely as the original life was? Or is the implication with Ian's zombies just that he has rebuilt the hardware and put a fresh OS install on there, but all the user's data is lost?
-Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
RowanRose
New Poster

Post by RowanRose »

IIRC, in gaming, losing one's familiar causes all sorts of mayhem on the magic-user. So my question is, how likely is this to hurt Meji besides the emotional loss of Ellis? It would be awful if she finally gets there but is incapacitated for a bit because of the loss of her familiar. Poor Ellis.
Anthony
Errant Scholar

Post by Anthony »

Forrest wrote:If Ellis is a magical construct to begin with, which the ability to simply disspel him would imply, then there shouldn't be anything special there to begin with, and you really could just build a new one.
Doesn't follow. You could build a new familiar (probably), but it wouldn't necessarily be the same creature.
Forrest wrote:Then again, if the gods created the Elves etc ex nihlo, then shouldn't someone with their power be able to recreate true life from scratch just as genuinely as the original life was? Or is the implication with Ian's zombies just that he has rebuilt the hardware and put a fresh OS install on there, but all the user's data is lost?
I'm inclined to assume that you can create a new person, you just can't recreate an old person.