2012-01-02: Poking Bears With Sticks

For talking about the plot, the art, the dialogue, the characters, the site, and the individual updates...
Angrist
Forum Trainee

Re: 2012-01-02: Poking Bears With Sticks

Post by Angrist »

Is the next continent far enough away?
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

Happy New Year, Poe and Impy! And thanks for getting this posted.

Meji looks ... older here.

Because old is wise, does good, and above all, kicks ass.
matapat
Forum Trainee

Post by matapat »

I see watching what's left of their race get nearly eradicated hasn't done much to dull the elves spectacular lack of a survivability instinct. Seriously, how many rounds of break the haughty does a collective species need before they come around?
The Comment Golem
Unstoppable Posting Machine

2012-01-02: Poking Bears With Sticks

Post by The Comment Golem »

Discussion thread for Poking Bears With Sticks
Slamlander
Keeper of the Holy Algorithms
Location: Nyon, CH, near Geneve, on the shores of the Lac Leman. The heart of Suisse Romande.

Post by Slamlander »

Apparently, it takes much more than near-annihilation to knock down Elvin hubris. Damnit, they are stupid!

Oh yeah, have a better New Year every one.

One writer resolved to write a better disaster novel than 2012. I disagree. The prognosis for at least a few of us can't be much worse without death playing a much larger part and as they say; every day above ground is a good one ;)

Now if we could stop the slide into Police State Amerika then things might even almost improve, non?
S L A M L A N D E R
Isn't Sarine technically a MILF?
Ori Klein
Forum Regular

Post by Ori Klein »

Happy New Year!

They really are asking for it, are they not?
Hmm, lets see...she's powerful as a demi-god, have a fleet of Tsuirakuan ships in tow and she just beat the other demi-god, likely absorbing whatever godly essence he possessed onto herself, hmm...yes, sure, lets yell at her to surrender or we'll murder her and all that she loves, seems like a perfectly good idea!

[x] Going about it entirely the wrong way.
[x] Being entirely arrogant and stupid.
[x] Clearly not reading the situation properly.
[x] Displaying colossal levels of ingratitude.
[x] Begging for another to finish the job.
[x] Risking for a civil war.

Did I miss any?
javcs
New Poster

Post by javcs »

You know what's even worse (in a way) than the fact that he's provoking Meji? He's ordering the Paedagogusi to stop Meji and make her hand over the god-essences to the Elves.
In the event that this does not devolve (further) into violence, either the Paedagogusi will start lecturing the elves on how stupid they're being/have been, or Meji will. Though, Meji may ask the Paedagogusi to do if for her, because the idiot-faction amongst the elves are more likely to believe what the Paedagogusi say than what Meji says. That doesn't mean it'll work.
Flintlock
Forum Regular

Post by Flintlock »

I think Jon's idea is the best one, rapid evacuation to another continent is just looking better and better.

Still, one thing to consider: just who the hell is this elf guy anyway? Have we seen him before? What position does he hold? I mean, there's always one nutjob who makes it through no matter what, next page might have the other elves laying the smack down on him before he gets them all killed. Hopefully that's the case anyway.

EDIT: Having taken another look at the page, is it me or does alot of the other characters around Nutjob seem to be giving him the evils? At least one of them (the one in the middle of the middle panel) seems rather confused, or brain damaged...

On the other hand though, one thing to consider is, should you let someone get away with what they want just because they had godly powers? I'm not arguing that the guy is doing the right thing or for the right reasons, but if you start letting someone do whatever the hell they want without even a squeek of protestation then it's only natural for them to start thinking they can do what they like.
"Space is big. Really big." - Douglas Adams
Initial B
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by Initial B »

Well, the elf speaking looks half-mad anyways, and it looks like the rest of them are taking what he's saying with a grain of salt. The best thing for Meji to do right now might be to explain exactly what theie "gods" were and why they can't be split from her. Meji should tell them that she could do it but the elven gods will "die" - I wonder if that would make them more amenable to her being the host.
Ori Klein
Forum Regular

Post by Ori Klein »

Flintlock wrote:On the other hand though, one thing to consider is, should you let someone get away with what they want just because they had godly powers?
Of course not. Defiance is the morally obligated course of action. However, unless you're able to match or defuse the power then approach to such should be educational, not militant. That's where he's going about it poorly, and why it'll end in a catastrophe for him and possibly others.
Flintlock wrote:Still, one thing to consider: just who the hell is this elf guy anyway? Have we seen him before? What position does he hold?
Likely one of those negligible and forgettable diplomatic 'leader' characters that we met along the way during the scenes of the elf high council deliberations. The more of his ilk dispatched the better the future's outlook for the elven race.
I only wish we could rid ourselves of our contemporary politicians with such an ease.