2012-02-20: Coming Home

For talking about the plot, the art, the dialogue, the characters, the site, and the individual updates...
eee
Errant Scholar

Re: 2012-02-20: Coming Home

Post by eee »

This is quite interesting. Meji isn't trying to dictate what people do, or bludgeon them into doing what she wants, or kill anyone who refuses to follow her orders: She's trying to lead by suggestion and influence. That's... unexpected.

I wonder if she's also helping the Trolls. And the Ensigerum.
Madayar
Forum Regular
Twitter @: Madayar

Post by Madayar »

Huh. So making the city a strategic point reduces the possibility of attack? That's rather illogical. Also, if it was that easy, why had all this mayhem to occur? Stupidity? I guess...

Did she get her degree or did they make it honorary?

I guess it's possible the next panel will include a "Jon and I are a couple for now. Sara and the others died. Some aftermath of the battle. We don't know. Honestly, we don't care."

Pity the epilogues wrap so many nice story ideas so quickly.
"Writers live in the worlds of books they've not yet written."
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

Madayar wrote:Huh. So making the city a strategic point reduces the possibility of attack? That's rather illogical. Also, if it was that easy, why had all this mayhem to occur? Stupidity? I guess...
What has happened is that the strategic context changed. Until Praenubilus Astu and the death of as much as 90% of the elves, Tsuiraku couldn't be at all confident of taking on the elves even if they wanted to. Furthermore, there was no particular need. Even in the Age of Meji, there would be very little reason for Tsuiraku to be keeping particularly close tabs on the elves, were it not for one thing: MEJI TOLD THEM TO. The Tsuirakuans are smart enough to realize that they'd bloody well better listen to her now. THAT produces need that did not previously exist.

Note also that Sarine's desperate visit to Tsuiraku was largely to try to talk sense into the Tsuirakuans about restraining the elves. It more or less failed, although she wound up getting what she wanted out of it, the hard way. The Tsuirakuans didn't see it as in their interest to do anything like that then. They certainly do now.

Final point: Santuariel without allies was elf bait.

Because old is wise, does good, and above all, kicks ass.
Anthony
Errant Scholar

Post by Anthony »

Madayar wrote:Huh. So making the city a strategic point reduces the possibility of attack? That's rather illogical.
The point is to make the city important enough that attacking it counts as an act of war against Tsuiraku.
Boss Out of Town
Team Captain

Post by Boss Out of Town »

The sensible thing for Meji to do in this circumstance would be to help out where she could, then figure out some way to get rid of the power in her before it devours her personality. Although I expect she'll try to accelerate her body's physical maturity first. If she doesn't want to lose all of the power, she can compartmentalize it and park it somewhere safe. Maybe under the small monument the people of Santuariel are going to build to their martyred savior, Ian.
History celebrates the battlefields whereon we meet our death, but scorns to speak of the plowed fields whereby we thrive; it knows the names of kings’ bastards but cannot tell us the origin of wheat. This is the way of human folly. --- Henry Fabre
raphfrk
Forum Regular

Post by raphfrk »

Boss Out of Town wrote:The sensible thing for Meji to do in this circumstance would be to help out where she could, then figure out some way to get rid of the power in her before it devours her personality.
Alternatively, she could try and solve any personality problems directly.

However, other than the responsibility having a stabilising effect on her, it doesn't seem to have effected her personality much.
Maybe under the small monument the people of Santuariel are going to build to their martyred savior, Ian.
Hmm, I doubt they really look at him that way. Also, even if they did, they probably would be better served keeping on the good side of the one who actually won.
Painrunner
Forum Regular

Post by Painrunner »

4uk4ata wrote:Well, you never know. Plenty of time for her to flip out and kill people later. Surprising that the "devil girl" would mature into a voice of reason, and a much more sensible (supposedly) guy would turn out into a genocidal maniac with no regard for collateral damage.
Depends on what way you look at it, allthough seemingly sensible and levelheaded, Ian was emotionally damaged to begin with, he had strong sentiments of hate and fear in him. allthough quite harmless as long as he had no way of acting upon his hate and fear, when given the power to do so he became a runaway train. At that point he could not have stopped himself from lashing out in some way even if he wanted to. Yet Meji allthough a sadistic person by nature harbored no real evil inside her.
Madayar
Forum Regular
Twitter @: Madayar

Post by Madayar »

Anthony wrote:
Madayar wrote:Huh. So making the city a strategic point reduces the possibility of attack? That's rather illogical.
The point is to make the city important enough that attacking it counts as an act of war against Tsuiraku.

Point taken, however the power balances have just shifted away from the Elves. I doubt Tsuiraku would ever openly declare war due to a half-elf city destroyed. Especially if the only way of reaching it quickly from a homeland is a portal. A strong garrison would be a better protection, in my view. And a very powerful academy. And annexing more land around it.
"Writers live in the worlds of books they've not yet written."
Forrest
Finally, some love for the BJ!

Post by Forrest »

The point of Meji having a portal put in Santauriel is that Santauriel is now Tsuiraku's gateway into the Northern Confederacy, who will now be the other major world power now that Veracia and Pedonubile Asstu are gone. Tsuiraku will want to maintain their portal into Confederacy lands, and attacking Santauriel now means attacking their portal.

It's kind of like how the US having a harbor in Hawaii made it suddenly a very important place in international affairs, and not just a stone-age island lost in the middle of the ocean.
-Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
Neko7
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by Neko7 »

It is also the point of connection between Tsuiraku and the Confederacy lands. That mean the Confederacy lands have a direct acces to Tsuiraku for commercial/trade, technological and magical exchange and services.
This gates is the only one overthere, it is easy to understand that the Northden Confederacy will want to protect this important point, AKA renforce it by creating/enforcing a military/milice presence. And attacking Satuariel would be then not just an attack on Tsuiraku propriety but also again the entire Northden Confederacy interest.

Plus portal mean info travel way faster than before, so any weird occurence of murder or disparition in the 1/2 elf population would be known much faster and provoc an answers much more efficient