2012-03-12: 03/12/2012

For talking about the plot, the art, the dialogue, the characters, the site, and the individual updates...
The Comment Golem
Unstoppable Posting Machine

2012-03-12: 03/12/2012

Post by The Comment Golem »

Discussion thread for 03/12/2012
ratfox
Forum Regular

Re: 2012-03-12: 03/12/2012

Post by ratfox »

...Yeah, that was only to be expected.

Although, I wouldn't have minded a picture of the "happily married" part, even if the "ever after" has to be left out for obvious reasons. Still, I hope that the "only one more to go" includes the outcome of the "father" bit. Pretty please, Poe?
Neko7
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by Neko7 »

Just read today strip (last-1) and I end-up not behing able to post anything on for a while because no word came to me.
We knew the story would finish soon, but it surprisingly hurt, a bit like realising the friend you saw the day before was the last day with you,
and when it hit you, it is already too late, you'll never have the time to say goodbye properly.

Ones may think it's exagereting, but the end of the habitude of coming check and enjoy it is the end of an epoque, of period of life.
I join Ratfox into wishing the last one will give us a glimpse into Jon & Sarine life, including (especialy?) the "Father" part.
Flintlock
Forum Regular

Post by Flintlock »

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jon was my fav, there's no point to going on! *Cocks shotgun* Goodbye cruel world! *bang*

On a sidenote, love the reference to Mass Effect and cheap emotional manipulation... :twisted:
"Space is big. Really big." - Douglas Adams
Boss Out of Town
Team Captain

Post by Boss Out of Town »

Jon had a pretty decent life. And he made more little half-elves.
History celebrates the battlefields whereon we meet our death, but scorns to speak of the plowed fields whereby we thrive; it knows the names of kings’ bastards but cannot tell us the origin of wheat. This is the way of human folly. --- Henry Fabre
stellar
Forum Trainee

Post by stellar »

When I saw this page, I got the chills, just a for a second. I suppose it was the shock of realising that a much loved character is dead. But then instantly, relaxed again - contented even. A husband and father, and in his 60s; a good run to be sure. Jon was quite the survivor.

Yet, still .. bittersweet. It is indeed full circle - Sarine has been here before, as glimpsed at the beginning of Errant Story. Immortality must feel like a curse in some ways to her. I can't imagine what it would be like to experience that not once but twice.
Tortenschachtel
Forum Trainee

Post by Tortenschachtel »

Ouch ...
I guess you can't make him live forever, but that still caught me completely off guard ...

I really didn't need that right now ...
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

Tortenschachtel wrote: I really didn't need that right now ...
Yeah.

On the other hand,
  • We don't know the demographics of Farrel or Veracia or wherever they settled, but 63 is probably a ripe old age to live to there, or at least a "normal" one.
  • That means, among other things, that the remnants of the Ensigerum didn't get him, which spared Sarine going through that again.
  • Since we know that Jon was something like 27 or 28 when he and Sarine met, that's 35 years together, which also was a great improvement on the last time around for Sarine. (Speaking of which, my own 30th anniversary is coming up before long. Love you, honey.)
  • They had kid(s). This is no small thing. Sarine will at least have that comfort, which she was denied before, in the most horrific way.
  • Above all, this had to happen. The Age of Meji did not confer immortality on humans. Sara will also die. So will Bani, Leah, Riley, and so on. Heck, Ichiro Hinadori, who's another one of those characters you wish would be around for a while, was probably gone long before Jon left the stage. It's just part of the gig.
Sympathies, Sarine, but you done good.

Because old is wise, does good, and above all, kicks ass.
Dallen Andair
Errant Scholar

Post by Dallen Andair »

A life of a mercenary-adventurer, mended fences with his long-lost sister, had a direct hand in world-shaking events...then settled down, became an (I can only assume) happy father with the woman he loved, and finally died at the ripe old age of 63.

Plenty of mistakes, plenty of triumphs. Jon can take credit for a life well used. That's more than most can say. I just hope he managed to teach Sarine to not dwell on sorrow and remember the happy times.
Yenhael: Nein! Nein! Nein! Nein! Nein!
Ian: Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes!
Rakshasa Taisab
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by Rakshasa Taisab »

He got to fuck a forever-young pussy right up until he passed away, lucky bastard.