2012-04-18: UPDATE: Errant Story Store, Book Collection, et

For talking about the plot, the art, the dialogue, the characters, the site, and the individual updates...
The Comment Golem
Unstoppable Posting Machine

2012-04-18: UPDATE: Errant Story Store, Book Collection, et

Post by The Comment Golem »

theMycon
Forum Trainee

Re: 2012-04-18: UPDATE: Errant Story Store, Book Collection

Post by theMycon »

Thank you, Impy. This answers every question I have except one:

In the meantime, how do we support the comic?
Neko7
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by Neko7 »

Can anything be done to give a hand on the (on hold) Errant Story books? (text, liste of typos, anything...?)
So when you guys can work on them again there is already somepart of the work done.
Imp-Chan
Not Yet Dead
Twitter @: ImpChan

Post by Imp-Chan »

theMycon wrote:Thank you, Impy. This answers every question I have except one:

In the meantime, how do we support the comic?
Honestly, I have no idea. It seems really weird to ask for donations on a comic that's over, and Does Not Play Well With Others was always intended to be supported with products... it's just too small and unknown to pull that off, yet. The t-shirt designs are done and ready to send to the printer, though.

Oh, wait, I'm an idiot! I forgot to mention it because it's not ready yet, but... there IS a way that you can support Errant Story, I just have to get my ducks lined up and start it. We'll be auctioning/selling the original art for each comic, signed by Poe, with a print of the comic's "final form" to go with it. The first page will definitely be an auction (for one thing, we're not sure yet where to price them), the rest will probably be sold outright on a first come, first served basis. We'll be selling the original Exploitation Now artwork, too.
Neko7 wrote:Can anything be done to give a hand on the (on hold) Errant Story books?
We have someone transcribing the early books into the scripting program that we use and doing preliminary typo correction stuff. Other than that, sadly, it's pretty much all something I have to do. However, Volume 3 is actually done, and Volume 1 is about halfway done, and it gets a lot easier starting with Volume 5 because Poe finally started doing the lettering in a way that was editable. So there's that.

^-^'
Because scary little devil girls have to stick together.
sdf_iain
One Post Wonder

Post by sdf_iain »

After seeing what it did for the order of the stick, may I suggest a kickstarter to fund the staffing and reopening of the store?

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/599 ... rint-drive

I'm not saying you guys will instantly net a million dollars, but maybe there are enough readers to support re-o-penning your store and adding an employee?
DatDude
Errant Scholar

Post by DatDude »

sdf_iain wrote:After seeing what it did for the order of the stick, may I suggest a kickstarter to fund the staffing and reopening of the store?

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/599 ... rint-drive

I'm not saying you guys will instantly net a million dollars, but maybe there are enough readers to support re-o-penning your store and adding an employee?
I was going to suggest the same thing. This seems to be the IT place to go for crowd sourcing funding at the moment. Everything from web comics to sequiles to 24 year old video games have been getting a lot of funding off of it.
The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile but that it is indifferent but if we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death however mutable man may be able to make them our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light. Stanley Kubrick
Imp-Chan
Not Yet Dead

Post by Imp-Chan »

We don't have any products to sell at the moment... The books shouldn't be sold anymore if we're replacing them, the t-shirts don't have a big enough market from DNPWWO yet and historically have not sold well to Errant Story readers, we could sell Ellis and Rape-kun plushies (really, any adorable familiars) for all eternity if we were doing cons and we made more of them, but there's no way to do cons until 2013 at the earliest, and prints are cheap to make and have a high profit margin but have low sales and are time-consuming to produce. It would be irresponsible to crowd-source to open the store for that, especially with the very expensive to print Errant Story book collection project looming on the horizon, which will seriously need that crowd-sourced funding or it simply cannot happen.

Our best bet is to concentrate on updating the websites to handle the original art sales, and rebuilding the store to primarily sell the original art until we can add more products in a realistic way. We are basically stuck having to start over from the beginning as a business, but without the relief of failing in a dignified manner, first. It blows, but there's really no way around it, so we're just going to have to play the hand we have. There are a couple thousand pages of original comic art to sell, though, not to mention all the sketchbook pages, so we won't be running out any time soon. I'm actually more worried that there won't be enough people left to buy them.

#-_-#'
BloodHenge
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by BloodHenge »

Thanks for the update on EN:DWIA. I don't mind being patient; I just like knowing what's going on with it.

I noticed that a couple of the more risque pages of ES got redone for the advertisers. Are print editions going to have the old versions, the new versions, or both? Or is that just too far in the future to ask about?
Imp-Chan
Not Yet Dead

Post by Imp-Chan »

If you mean the Sarine and Jon sex scene, that was actually redone more because Poe never liked how it came out the first time. It'll be the new version for print... in fact, it already is the new version in the last edition of Errant Story Volume 3.

^-^'
BloodHenge
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by BloodHenge »

That is what I meant. The reason I made the assumption I made was because I was pretty sure the naked Christmas elves stopped the same year. (Not that I actually expected to see those in any print compilations...)