2008-01-14 <Shut up or shall... I be break other arm.>

For talking about the plot, the art, the dialogue, the characters, the site, and the individual updates...
BandMan2K
Errant Scholar

2008-01-14 <Shut up or shall... I be break other arm.>

Post by BandMan2K »

Hmm...Sara speaks some elven & they recognize the Ensigerium badge. Curiouser and curiouser.

I hope Sara does whop him one for pulling on her sash.
BloodHenge
Mage/Priest War Veteran

2008-01-14 "Also, I'd let go of that if I were you."

Post by BloodHenge »

Looks like Sara speaks Elven only slightly better than I speak Spanish. So she may have a vague idea of what's going on, but maybe not.
zanntos
Errant Scholar

Re: 2008-01-14 <Shut up or shall... I be break other arm.>

Post by zanntos »

Looks like Sara knows the words but not the grammer, since the sentence mostly works except she doesn't know how to make "breaking" from "break" and dropped a "the" or "your" before "other arm". It looks like Sara might know some degree of healing magic as well, since that seems to be what the elf is fussing about, wanting to tend to himself instead of having a human fix him up.
Slamlander
Keeper of the Holy Algorithms
Location: Nyon, CH, near Geneve, on the shores of the Lac Leman. The heart of Suisse Romande.

Re: 2008-01-14 "Also, I'd let go of that if I were you."

Post by Slamlander »

BloodHenge wrote:Looks like Sara speaks Elven only slightly better than I speak Spanish. So she may have a vague idea of what's going on, but maybe not.
No, she speaks substantially better than you speak Spanish. ;) She's conversant, can carry on a conversation other than speaking formula phrases and canned responses. But her dialect of Elven is like Church Latin verses real Roman Latin. Poe mentioned that some time back, during the fight in the temple when Warrel was speaking Elven to Sarine. Of course, after 1000 years, some linguistic divergence is to be expected.

I do like her offer to break the elf's other arm though. Personally, I would have just done it, without making the offer.

I also like Sarine's advice for the other elf to let go of Sara's sash.
Slamlander
Keeper of the Holy Algorithms
Location: Nyon, CH, near Geneve, on the shores of the Lac Leman. The heart of Suisse Romande.

Post by Slamlander »

zanntos wrote:Looks like Sara knows the words but not the grammer, since the sentence mostly works except she doesn't know how to make "breaking" from "break" and dropped a "the" or "your" before "other arm". It looks like Sara might know some degree of healing magic as well, since that seems to be what the elf is fussing about, wanting to tend to himself instead of having a human fix him up.
You missed the ellipsis between "break" and "other".
DarkIntruder
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by DarkIntruder »

But her dialect of Elven is like Church Latin verses real Roman Latin.
Could you please elaborate on this? You've used it more then once, but since I was raised protestant, and have since thrown off the shackles of religion, I am unaware of how church latin differs from real latin. Unless your talking about dark ages church latin, in which (some) priests mumbled through the bible because they couldn't read it, and their congregations couldn't understand it even if it was corrrect. ;)
normalphil
Heretical Monk

Post by normalphil »

DarkIntruder wrote:
Could you please elaborate on this? You've used it more then once, but since I was raised protestant, and have since thrown off the shackles of religion, I am unaware of how church latin differs from real latin. Unless your talking about dark ages church latin, in which (some) priests mumbled through the bible because they couldn't read it, and their congregations couldn't understand it even if it was corrrect. ;)
Dude, I'm a raised-and-practicing Southern Baptist. A broad base of knowledge is a gift you can give yourself.

It's the difference between a living tongue and a dead one. The Ensigerum don't have conversational elven anymore. So her conjugation is off (which is the problem with learning Church Latin), her pronunctuation is screwy as hell, she may not have some of the propper sounds as verbal options, and she uses the wrong words for some things (like how the latin word for 'horse' became less popular than their word for 'worthless horse', and they stopped using their word for 'horse').
Boss Out of Town
Team Captain

Post by Boss Out of Town »

DarkIntruder wrote:
Quickly . . . all languages as they are used in everyday affairs change over time. Languages that have a central authority for writing and punctuation change more slowly that others, but they do change. What this means is that the Latin spoken in Italy before the Lombard invasion (when civil order, population level and literacy all bottomed out) rapidly diverged from that spoken by the hierarchy of the Roman church. Nowaday's we call that descendent of the Latin of the Roman Empire "Italian." Church latin would, AFAIK, still be intelligible and readable by Marcus Aurelius, but would probably give the old stoic a bad case of the giggles.
Sheik Yerbouti
Forum Trainee

Post by Sheik Yerbouti »

Basically, Church Latin managed to drop a few verb conjugations and mispronounce everything (very similar to how Italian is pronounced today, actually). I think they also stopped using some of the cases correctly, but I'm no authority.

Marcus Aurelius might understand it, but it would be difficult for him, and it would likely sound like something a provincial five-year-old would say.
Boss Out of Town
Team Captain

Post by Boss Out of Town »

Anyone know what Sarine is smirking about in the new wallpaper?