2008-01-14 <Shut up or shall... I be break other arm.>

For talking about the plot, the art, the dialogue, the characters, the site, and the individual updates...
BloodHenge
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Re: 2008-01-14 "Also, I'd let go of that if I were you."

Post by BloodHenge »

Slamlander wrote:Remember the Code Talkers. Their code was never cracked because it is a language and not a code.
A language that, as I understand, is nearly impossible to learn as anything but a native speaker.
Imp-Chan wrote: It's not like the Rinkai language was going to fade with the generations or be forgotten or anything, though... at least a few of the elves that first spoke it are still alive now!
Good point. There won't be much linguistic drift in Elvish speech patterns, since the population hasn't increased in over a thousand years, and it's entirely possible (however unlikely) that the FIrst Elf is still alive (and would presumably still speak with other people occasinally).
Slamlander
Keeper of the Holy Algorithms
Location: Nyon, CH, near Geneve, on the shores of the Lac Leman. The heart of Suisse Romande.

Post by Slamlander »

BloodHenge wrote:
Slamlander wrote:Remember the Code Talkers. Their code was never cracked because it is a language and not a code.
A language that, as I understand, is nearly impossible to learn as anything but a native speaker.
Imp-Chan wrote: It's not like the Rinkai language was going to fade with the generations or be forgotten or anything, though... at least a few of the elves that first spoke it are still alive now!
Good point. There won't be much linguistic drift in Elvish speech patterns, since the population hasn't increased in over a thousand years, and it's entirely possible (however unlikely) that the FIrst Elf is still alive (and would presumably still speak with other people occasinally).

I smell an Anthro paper in there somewhere. Mostly around the supposition that the higher the average age of a culture, the lower the rate of cultural/linguistic change. In the case of our Elves, cultural/linguistic changes should occur very slowly. However, even within a static population of immortals, there will still be some change.
Boss Out of Town
Team Captain

Post by Boss Out of Town »

BloodHenge wrote:
That's what I heard. Navaho is an Athabaskan speech, related to the Apache dialects and a collection of languages in western Canada that all got over the Bering Strait thousands of years after other North American languages and has a very distinctive structure. The ur-Athabaskan speech was probably evolved somewhere out in the wilds of Siberia far away from the major agricultural population centers of eastern Asia. I think there is an Anglo UFO cult somewhere that suspects the Navaho may be descended from aliens or Elves or dwarves or something. Whether the Navaho find that amusing or not, I don't recall.
Shadowydreamer
New Poster

Re: 2008-01-14 <Shut up or shall... I be break other arm.>

Post by Shadowydreamer »

On the Navaho note.. It wasn't just the language that made the code.. They spoke code within the language.. so you had to know both to be of any use..

-Shady.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

Wow, lots of stuff to try to respond to.
Michael Poe wrote:
At one time I had the idea that the basic, most commonly used translation spell, doesn't work for Elven. And that this was an intentional limitation, being that the spell was originally created by the elves themselves.

So the idea would have been that Ensigerum taught their people Elven because it was a language that they already knew, but very few people could understand and didn't work with basic translation spells making it very useful for codes, secret messages and such.
This makes sense, and is consistent with the family practice of private use of Dutch that Slamlander talked about. My wife's brother is married to a Russian, they and their kids are fluently bilingual, and the same thing happens in their family (which gets them some odd looks e.g. when they go to good old all-American baseball games). For that matter, when my kids were young, my wife and I would occasionally slip into German (she's fluent, I'm marginal) for brief discussions that we didn't want them to eavesdrop on. However, it only works because there is enough linguistic distance between English and German (not to mention Russian) that it really is "code" from the perspective of the listeners outside the circle. It's not clear to me that there is comparable distance between Spanish and Latin, and unlikely that there is such distance between Italian and Latin, in which case I wonder how well the analogous Ensigerum-speak would work.

Incidentally, to address some other quote that I can't find: I used Spanish rather than Italian as the Veracian/Farrelian analogy for a reason. It's all but impossible, when traveling (let alone living) in Italy, to avoid references back to Rome, and Italy is about the only place Italian is still spoken (well, that and on opera stages...). By comparison, Spanish is spoken so widely that there is no day-to-day exposure of most of its speakers to its Latin/Romance roots. Accordingly, I think the Veracia (let alone Farrel) analogy fits a bit better with Spanish, since there aren't many surviving signs of elven culture/influence left except maybe in the architecture.
Boss Out of Town wrote:I think there is an Anglo UFO cult somewhere that suspects the Navaho may be descended from aliens or Elves or dwarves or something. Whether the Navaho find that amusing or not, I don't recall.
On their home turf, the Navajo find everything about the biligaana amusing...
Imp-Chan wrote:It seems I recall something being mentioned at one point about how way long ago, the Elves had two languages. One was essentially like our Classical Latin, the other was essentially like our Japanese (which is funny, since the majority of the Tsuirakuan "Japanese" words borrowed for Errant Story's modern day setting are just the katakana pronunciations of English words).
Yes, that's the essence of the Poe notes in that Translation article.
Slamlander wrote:Actually, that's a very good point, Tsuirakuan should be more like Italian, being a divergent form of Elven, with maybe less divergence. There are two cases here; Either all modern human languages were derived from Elven (like French, Italian, Spanish)or, some weren't (German, Scandinavian, Russian, etc).

Poe: I'm thinking/suggesting that; As mindstalk suggested, Tsuirakuan is diverged Rinkai(French), and Farrel would be diverged Sanguen (German). Veracian, could be entirely a human language (Finnish) as would whatever they speak in the Northern Confederacy (Scandinavian). This might put some kinks in the translation spell though it is based on magic and, as such, has weird and indiscriminate kinks anyway.
I think Poe clarified that previously: Tsuirakuan is derived from the Rinkai elven language, which elves don't use any more except for niches. So the Tsuirakuan:Japanese analogy still works. The Northern Confederacy point is interesting; surely not all humans got assimilated into the elven territories way back when, and linguistic influence from beyond the boundaries of the known Poe-verse would make sense. After all, we know that the continent extends north off the edge of the semi-canonical map, plus there are these mysterious "Anuban Colonies" out there somewhere that haven't appeared in the story yet...

Because old is wise, does good, and above all, kicks ass.
Slamlander
Keeper of the Holy Algorithms
Location: Nyon, CH, near Geneve, on the shores of the Lac Leman. The heart of Suisse Romande.

Post by Slamlander »

Graybeard wrote:It's all but impossible, when traveling (let alone living) in Italy, to avoid references back to Rome, and Italy is about the only place Italian is still spoken (well, that and on opera stages...)
Just one slight correction here. Italian is one of the four official languages of Switzerland, along with German, French, and Romansh) and slightly over 25% of the population speaks it natively.
mindstalk
Typo-Seeking Missile

Post by mindstalk »

Japan imports lots of foreigns words partly because there's Western Culture for them to be lifting parts from (just as we in turn import some Japanese words and concepts, often with hideous mutations, ninja and sushi and hentai. Which I think they call H, which is just weird when you stop and think about it).

Tsuiraku *is* the most advanced culture in the world, with the possible but not certain exception of the elves, who at one ambassador every 20 years obviously aren't leaking whatever they have all that much. So I think Tsuirakuan linguistic imports will be more at the level of 'spaghetti' than 'terebi' (television). Interesting foods or clothing or aesthetic concepts, nothing technological, probably nothing fundamental to their society. OTOH, Farrell will have been importing Tsuirakuan words, such as "warp gate" and "airship" and "women have rights".

I've read Italian is the 4th biggest contributed of vocabulary to English, after Old English roots, French, and Latin. Or maybe Scandinavian via the Danelaw gets a place in there.
Boss Out of Town
Team Captain

Post by Boss Out of Town »

Slamlander wrote:
BloodHenge wrote:
I smell an Anthro paper in there somewhere. Mostly around the supposition that the higher the average age of a culture, the lower the rate of cultural/linguistic change. In the case of our Elves, cultural/linguistic changes should occur very slowly. However, even within a static population of immortals, there will still be some change.
This is one of the issues we had to talk our way around while writing Lord of the Rings modules for Iron Crown. Is Westron a distinct language, or an evolution of Adunaic (Numenorean)? Do the Black Numenoreans of the War of the Ring speak a variety of Adunaic or some Endorian descendent? Is there no one left in Stewardic Gondor who speaks Sindarin or has Sindarin evolved so much no one but Gandalf could still read the note Isildur left concerning the One Ring? Does Elrond still speak the same dialect of Quenya and Sindarin he spoke 5000 years ago?

I deferred most of these questions to the Tolkien language buffs except when I wanted to impress the gamers reading the module with the age of something. Showing change in language over centuries is a good way to remind people how old things are in Middle-earth.
BloodHenge
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by BloodHenge »

Graybeard wrote:Wow, lots of stuff to try to respond to.
Michael Poe wrote:
At one time I had the idea that the basic, most commonly used translation spell, doesn't work for Elven. And that this was an intentional limitation, being that the spell was originally created by the elves themselves.

So the idea would have been that Ensigerum taught their people Elven because it was a language that they already knew, but very few people could understand and didn't work with basic translation spells making it very useful for codes, secret messages and such.
This makes sense, and is consistent with the family practice of private use of Dutch that Slamlander talked about. My wife's brother is married to a Russian, they and their kids are fluently bilingual, and the same thing happens in their family (which gets them some odd looks e.g. when they go to good old all-American baseball games). For that matter, when my kids were young, my wife and I would occasionally slip into German (she's fluent, I'm marginal) for brief discussions that we didn't want them to eavesdrop on. However, it only works because there is enough linguistic distance between English and German (not to mention Russian) that it really is "code" from the perspective of the listeners outside the circle. It's not clear to me that there is comparable distance between Spanish and Latin, and unlikely that there is such distance between Italian and Latin, in which case I wonder how well the analogous Ensigerum-speak would work.
There's not necessarily sufficient distance between Spanish and Italian for it to work. My father used to work in a textile company where his boss Antonio was Italian. Antonio had to call someone in Mexico on business on at least one occasion and was (as I'm told) able to have a reasonably intelligible conversation. Presumably, someone conversant in either Spanish or Italian would be able to muddle through Latin.

I wonder if French fits in there anywhere.
Imp-Chan
Not Yet Dead
Twitter @: ImpChan

Post by Imp-Chan »

Someone moderately conversant in French can't even slightly muddle through Spanish and Italian, though. Not ALOUD, anyways. On paper, they look so similar that it's fairly easy to muddle through.

^-^'
Because scary little devil girls have to stick together.