2008-01-14 <Shut up or shall... I be break other arm.>

For talking about the plot, the art, the dialogue, the characters, the site, and the individual updates...
mindstalk
Typo-Seeking Missile

Re: 2008-01-14 <Shut up or shall... I be break other arm.>

Post by mindstalk »

Shouldn't there have been four elven languages, originally?

Seems like Sanguen ("Latin") became dominant, and kind of makes sense that the "high elves" would have most influence on humans. OTOH, if Poe wanted Veracian to be Modern Sanguen and Farrellian to be Keiren, he could.

The elves now all speak Sanguen, despite living in a Cimmerii city. I guess the linguistic victory happened before the great self-GENOCIDE!.

Unrelatedly, I wonder where Tsuiraku got its food for the past 2000 years. An upturned mountain doesn't give that much growing space... of course, we could ask about those undeground elves, too.

Cheerful bit about the recent encounter: there aren't so few surviving elves that they've all met each other by now. Admittedly Sarine stays away most of the time.
Slamlander
Keeper of the Holy Algorithms
Location: Nyon, CH, near Geneve, on the shores of the Lac Leman. The heart of Suisse Romande.

Post by Slamlander »

mindstalk wrote:Shouldn't there have been four elven languages, originally?
I thought there were five however, the Wiki link is MIA.
mindstalk wrote:Seems like Sanguen ("Latin") became dominant, and kind of makes sense that the "high elves" would have most influence on humans. OTOH, if Poe wanted Veracian to be Modern Sanguen and Farrellian to be Keiren, he could.
Which ones were the "High" Elves.
mindstalk wrote:The elves now all speak Sanguen, despite living in a Cimmerii city. I guess the linguistic victory happened before the great self-GENOCIDE!.
I'm not so sure what the basis for this is either.
mindstalk wrote:Unrelatedly, I wonder where Tsuiraku got its food for the past 2000 years. An upturned mountain doesn't give that much growing space... of course, we could ask about those undeground elves, too.
I've wondered the same however; We don't have enough data, from Poe, to say one thing or t'other.
mindstalk wrote:Cheerful bit about the recent encounter: there aren't so few surviving elves that they've all met each other by now. Admittedly Sarine stays away most of the time.
Actually, that only makes something more than 2-3 hundred thousand.
Viking-Sensei
Evil Admin Overlord
Twitter @: Kallisti_x

Post by Viking-Sensei »

mindstalk wrote:Unrelatedly, I wonder where Tsuiraku got its food for the past 2000 years. An upturned mountain doesn't give that much growing space... of course, we could ask about those undeground elves, too.
Oh my god... McTsuiraki's Secret Sauce... is made of PEOPLES!
How could a plan this awesome possibly fail?
DarkIntruder
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by DarkIntruder »

Viking-Sensei wrote: Oh my god... McTsuiraki's Secret Sauce... is made of PEOPLES!
Toby:
There you'll sample Mrs. Lovett's meat pies
savory and sweet pies as you'll see,
You, who eat pies Mrs. Lovett's meat pies
conjure up the treat pies used to be!
mindstalk
Typo-Seeking Missile

Post by mindstalk »

mindstalk wrote:Seems like Sanguen ("Latin") became dominant, and kind of makes sense that the "high elves" would have most influence on humans. OTOH, if Poe wanted Veracian to be Modern Sanguen and Farrellian to be Keiren, he could.
[/quote]

Sanguen
http://www.errantstory.com/wiki/index.php/Sanguen
mindstalk wrote:The elves now all speak Sanguen, despite living in a Cimmerii city. I guess the linguistic victory happened before the great self-GENOCIDE!.
The Translation link given earlier in the thread.
mindstalk wrote:Cheerful bit about the recent encounter: there aren't so few surviving elves that they've all met each other by now. Admittedly Sarine stays away most of the time.
I don't know where that came from.

I'd been thinking in terms of thousands or hundreds of elves. "There was no one left to fight", "they sent what's left of the elven army."
Slamlander
Location: Nyon, CH, near Geneve, on the shores of the Lac Leman. The heart of Suisse Romande.

Post by Slamlander »

mindstalk wrote:
Slamlander wrote:
Sanguen
http://www.errantstory.com/wiki/index.php/Sanguen
Thanks but Highland Elves are not "High Elves"
mindstalk wrote:
Slamlander wrote:
The Translation link given earlier in the thread.
I was more commenting on the "self-GENOCIDE!" remark.
mindstalk wrote:
Slamlander wrote:
I don't know where that came from.

I'd been thinking in terms of thousands or hundreds of elves. "There was no one left to fight", "they sent what's left of the elven army."

In a race of immortals, it would have to be a fairly large population for there to be Elves that have never met. Simply random chance would guarantee a larger population. Basically, I agreed with you.
Viking-Sensei
Evil Admin Overlord
Twitter @: Kallisti_x

Post by Viking-Sensei »

There's a reason we limited the number of nested quotes, Slammy. ;)
How could a plan this awesome possibly fail?
Slamlander

Post by Slamlander »

Viking-Sensei wrote:There's a reason we limited the number of nested quotes, Slammy. ;)

Yes, and what is that? No one ever explained it to me. :roll: Besides I didn't hit the limit. ;)
Forrest
Finally, some love for the BJ!

Post by Forrest »

Slamlander wrote:Thanks but Highland Elves are not "High Elves"
In the comic where Sarine first describes all the Elven races, someone (Ellis?) comments along the lines of "jeez why don't they just call them 'high elves', 'wood elves', 'sea elves' and 'angsty brooding emo elves'" or some such. Given that the Cimmerii live in caves (dark elves), the Rinkai ruled the coasts (sea elves), and the Keiren preferred forests (wood elves), that leaves the Sanguen as "high elves". Granted, this was a remark from the peanut gallery, but still.

Also, the name "Sanguen" clearly relates to the Latin term for blood, so in the Sanguen language (i.e. Latin) their own name probably means "blood elves" or "pure bloods" or something like that - so, "high" elves as in social status seems a reasonable inference to make. Either that, or they've just got a feud going with the Crips...
mindstalk
Typo-Seeking Missile

Post by mindstalk »

"I was more commenting on the "self-GENOCIDE!" remark."

You're not sure of the basis for elven self-GENOCIDE!? Sarine said they fought each other until there was no one left to fight, and they'd destroyed all their cities except the one under a mountain. All fought over the issue of whether they should kill the half-elves before the errants killed them, or got cooties on their holiness, or something.