2012-09-10: [CT]Monologue In the Form of a Question

For talking about the plot, the art, the dialogue, the characters, the site, and the individual updates...
The Comment Golem
Unstoppable Posting Machine

2012-09-10: [CT]Monologue In the Form of a Question

Post by The Comment Golem »

requiem18th
Forum Trainee

Re: 2012-09-10: [CT]Monologue In the Form of a Question

Post by requiem18th »

So, that was Errant Story!

Sounds cute. Definitively sounds more like an idea nugget than a whole plot. Well here's hopping that we see more of Chris in the already famous ES2.
Forrest
Finally, some love for the BJ!

Post by Forrest »

Honestly I really wish Chris' plot had stayed in, modified as necessary to fit with the existing plot. In fact, I think having Ian somehow fall in with his oddball troupe instead of the Ensigerum would have worked better than the Ensigerum's role in the plot as it stands; have Chris & co bump into Meji's party repeatedly in comic fashion as originally scripted, have Ian somehow sputter and burn out after the attack on Emerylon and be then found by Chris's party (instead of knocked out and kidnapped by Anita's goons), and have Chris's party at first rallying behind Ian's quest (make his companions Elf-o-phobes), but then gradually getting kind of dragged along by Ian's progressively less sane machinations, wishing they could quit but afraid to go against him, and finally meeting up with Meji's party at the Elf city (I've given up trying to spell that) and sheepishly being like "um, hi again. Yeah, we're kind of... not with him. pleasehelpsaveus."
-Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

Forrest wrote:Honestly I really wish Chris' plot had stayed in, modified as necessary to fit with the existing plot. In fact, I think having Ian somehow fall in with his oddball troupe instead of the Ensigerum would have worked better than the Ensigerum's role in the plot as it stands; have Chris & co bump into Meji's party repeatedly in comic fashion as originally scripted, have Ian somehow sputter and burn out after the attack on Emerylon and be then found by Chris's party (instead of knocked out and kidnapped by Anita's goons), and have Chris's party at first rallying behind Ian's quest (make his companions Elf-o-phobes), but then gradually getting kind of dragged along by Ian's progressively less sane machinations, wishing they could quit but afraid to go against him, and finally meeting up with Meji's party at the Elf city (I've given up trying to spell that) and sheepishly being like "um, hi again. Yeah, we're kind of... not with him. pleasehelpsaveus."
I'm curious: were you an Exploitation Now reader/fan? I think that of all the pages of Errant Story, this is the one that most reminds me of EN, in terms of art, dialogue, mood, the whole nine yards. (The Paedagogusi may have been characters straight out of EN, but they didn't appear until the art and story concept were more uniquely Errant Story-ish.)

This said, I will admit that I'm not particularly an EN fan. I didn't start reading ES until long after EN finished, so maybe I missed some things, but I think this is just a vastly better comic, in very many ways. As a result, I can't really relate to the notion of developing a story line that would have made it seem more like the earlier comic, and I'm glad Poe didn't do any slapstick with Chris, but instead chose to play him straight after this introductory sequence. YMMV...

Because old is wise, does good, and above all, kicks ass.
Forrest

Post by Forrest »

I was an EN fan before ES started up yeah. I didn't come to ES immediately because I didn't realize it existed yet; I think it was right around this point in the story when I found out about it, in fact, which may explain my attachment to Chris. In retrospect I definitely am a bigger ES fan than an EN fan, but I really do like Poe's more irreverent humor and I like the places where it is integrated into ES, and I think Chris could have made a good instance of that.

The thing that keeps coming to mind for me, for some reason I'm not even sure of, is the cabbages guy from Avatar: The Last Airbender. I wouldn't want Chris and his story to become anything close to the main story of ES, but I think they would make great recurring characters; the main party just keeps on running into this other, mirror party (sans goatees), and it's all just kind of weird awkward laughs for the audience while the main party moves on past them with Serious Business and Chris is Captain Oblivious thinking he's some stereotypical adventurer, he thinks he's in some kind of competition with the main party but he's barely on their radar other than "that annoying kid we keep seeing everywhere".

And then in some form of... irony, maybe, not sure what to call it, but some kind of pseudo-humorous dramatic device... Chris' naive blundering about for adventure becomes a vessel for the serious plot to finally move on.
Neko7
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by Neko7 »

Graybeard wrote: (The Paedagogusi may have been characters straight out of EN, but they didn't appear until the art and story concept were more uniquely Errant Story-ish.)
I would counter argue with you here. At the time when the main group talk to the Paedagogusi and Nokkie&Kawai had their discution about boobs and their usefullness, Impy pointed (to the people complaying about EN character in ES) that the Paedagogusi + boobs-dialogue was part of the plan of the story in the draft very early on.

I don't say your argument general is wrond in any way, but I tought it merrited a little correction here.
anarcher
Space Tentaclemonster

Post by anarcher »

Neko7 wrote:
Graybeard wrote: (The Paedagogusi may have been characters straight out of EN, but they didn't appear until the art and story concept were more uniquely Errant Story-ish.)
I would counter argue with you here. At the time when the main group talk to the Paedagogusi and Nokkie&Kawai had their discution about boobs and their usefullness, Impy pointed (to the people complaying about EN character in ES) that the Paedagogusi + boobs-dialogue was part of the plan of the story in the draft very early on.

I don't say your argument general is wrond in any way, but I tought it merrited a little correction here.
So many typos. Are you using a phone or something to type?
Forrest

Post by Forrest »

He's French.

(Why else do you think he has that outRAGEous accent-a, you silly king-a?)
BloodHenge
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by BloodHenge »

What makes you think he's a king?
5Cats
Forum Regular

Post by 5Cats »

BloodHenge wrote:What makes you think he's a king?
'Ee said 'Ee was, just now eh?

Wait, are all posts supposed to be in the form of a question? Like the title of this page suggests? :roll: