2003-05-07: Double D Standards

For talking about the plot, the art, the dialogue, the characters, the site, and the individual updates...
The Comment Golem
Unstoppable Posting Machine

2003-05-07: Double D Standards

Post by The Comment Golem »

Discussion thread for Double D Standards
The Comment Golem

2013-01-02: [CT] Double D Standards

Discussion thread for [CT] Double D Standards

IMPY NOTE:

Today's page is the first half of this dialogue, which we split because most of the original dialogue text had to be scaled way down just to fit on the page in the one-page version. The two-page version is facing pages of delightful Meji rantings.

And, just to complicate matters still further, this thread and the thread for the second half of the page tomorrow will BOTH be merged with the thread for the original single-page version of this page, so that all of the discussion (which seems not to be happening lately) ends up in one place. WHEE!

^-^'
Imp-Chan
Not Yet Dead
Twitter @: ImpChan

Re: 2003-05-07: Double D Standards

Post by Imp-Chan »

For the record, I had no idea that Michael was going to go this direction with the extra panel art, but I like it! It's super cute, and once all these pages are shaded it's going to look really awesome.

^-^'
Because scary little devil girls have to stick together.
requiem18th
Forum Trainee

Post by requiem18th »

Filler is weird. I was reminded of it again when I watched the second version of Full Metal Alchemist. The second version is much stream-lined and gets rid of a lot of filler but for the same reason some of the scenes seemed rushed, a lot of the deaths were less dramatic and I can't be the only one who realised it because an OVA was released with a filler story from the first anime.

In other words filler may seem superfluous but it's fun and can be enjoyable in its own right.

For instance this scene here is very quotable and since that day nearly a decade ago everytime I see the old male wizard/hot female wizard dynamic I quote this page.

Filler is only bad if it is. If you think the purpose of the story is to get it over as soon as possible then of course filler is somethign to be cut out but if the joke is good it is good. It is enjoyable by itself.
5Cats
Forum Regular

Post by 5Cats »

Yup! Double standards exist, and not just about perky boobs. Literally everyone is held up to (or down to) a 'false standard' of some sort. It's human nature! All animals do it too! It's just how Mother Nature rolls...
The Comment Golem

2013-01-03: [CT] Almost There

Discussion thread for [CT] Almost There
hkmaly
Forum Regular

Post by hkmaly »

... it's also funny that it's she complaining about that considering she's half-elf and will age much slower that normal people :).
Stickmaker
One Post Wonder

Re: 2013-01-03: [CT] Almost There

Post by Stickmaker »

> If you were going to give a healing class offensive abilities why not do something based on their abilities as a healer.

Heh. In a novel I'm trying to sell, someone points out (in regard to the apparent defenselessness of a particular healer) that all spells are reversible. ;-)

Stickmaker
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

Ah! New references (Hiratsuka Foundation, Narumi Seito) for the Heretic Knowledge Vault! I'm on it...

I think this expansion page works quite well, probably a bit better than the other half of it. Meji's expression in the first panel fits well with the slightly embarrassed look in the second one and the art is nice and consistent. (By contrast, the sample 75YO mages in the previous page may look slightly out of place by the time everything is shaded.) You can see in that first panel just a hint of the madness that's always lurking just below Meji's surface -- madness as well as plain old anger.

Because old is wise, does good, and above all, kicks ass.
Imp-Chan
Not Yet Dead
Twitter @: ImpChan

Post by Imp-Chan »

I thought you might appreciate those bonus references, Graybeard. Those two lines are actually my dialogue, pitched to Poe for approval before including them. So far, they're the only lines of dialogue I've contributed, with the exception of the Tarragon the Troll song. Generally speaking, I'm more inclined to judiciously cut down dialogue than add it.

^-^'
Because scary little devil girls have to stick together.