2013-01-02: Collector's Edition Update!

For talking about the plot, the art, the dialogue, the characters, the site, and the individual updates...

What should we do once we've finished the collector's edition?

Make the main site the finished version for new readers, but still run the commentary track updates, or maybe add the commentary as a mouseover extra to the finished archives.
No votes
Make the main site the finished version for new readers, but preserve the massive archives and the commentary in a different section, and make separate sites for new stories which should be posted webcomic style.
No votes
Make the main site the finished version for new readers, but only put up new stories as paid downloads and print books.
No votes
Post new comics like Errant Tales and the sequels webcomic style, but make Errant Story only available as a paid download and print books.
No votes
Treat the site as a hub for Errant Story and all the new stories, serving them all up webcomic style.
100%
Treat the site as a marketing site instead of a webcomic, and just put up sample sections of Errant Story and any new comics, terminating in links to buy the download or print books.
No votes
Something else (please comment below).
No votes

Total votes: 3

The Comment Golem
Unstoppable Posting Machine

2013-01-02: Collector's Edition Update!

Post by The Comment Golem »

Discussion thread for Collector's Edition Update!
Imp-Chan
Not Yet Dead
Twitter @: ImpChan

Re: 2013-01-02: Collector's Edition Update!

Post by Imp-Chan »

The poll options are just suggestions we've heard so far, but we really want to get a broader range of opinions, so please comment at length!

^-^'
Because scary little devil girls have to stick together.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Re: 2013-01-02: Collector's Edition Update!

Post by Graybeard »

Well, don't everybody vote all at once. :)

Honestly though, Impy, I think your own business sense is going to give you more reliable guidance on this than we can. (Which doesn't mean that more people shouldn't give their opinions; they certainly should.) You seem to have a long-term business model in mind; from the way you've described the long term, you can probably figure out where the revenue is going to come from and which of these options work to get it.

This said, two comments. First, if you need to cut back on the commentary running with the "reruns" in order to generate time and energy for other projects, then personally, I'd say do so with my blessing. It's nice to know what Poe was thinking with some of the things going on early in the comic, but it doesn't have to be written out with every single strip.

Second, I would personally appreciate it very much if access to Errant Tales via the web site is easily -- if not necessarily freely -- available. As you know, many Errant World fans aren't inclined to go to cons, etc., nor are we normally in the market for dead-tree compilations -- "books." (This is something you can feel good about. The fan base here is more diverse than many.) If those are the only way that I can keep up with Errant Tales, well, I'll do it, but web-based alternatives would be much appreciated.

Because old is wise, does good, and above all, kicks ass.