2013-04-05: [CT]Peace for War's Sake

For talking about the plot, the art, the dialogue, the characters, the site, and the individual updates...
The Comment Golem
Unstoppable Posting Machine

2013-04-05: [CT]Peace for War's Sake

Post by The Comment Golem »

Discussion thread for [CT]Peace for War's Sake
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Re: 2013-04-05: [CT]Peace for War's Sake

Post by Graybeard »

One thing that I find jarring about this page, and the others posted recently with new/revised art, is the way Ian is portrayed. In the new images, he looks about 30 years older (15 in human terms, so double that since he's a half elf) than in the older ones, what with the squared-off jaw, much leaner face, wrinkle lines, and so on. It isn't just a matter of age, either. He looks ... world-weary. Beaten down. Jaded. Cynical. All of this is very much at odds with the naively idealistic Ian who lasted at least as long as the fateful meetup with Kawaii, and possibly all the way to the discovery that his sister had died.

I wonder whether the very rough times that Poe has had to go through in the last couple of years -- his own illnesses, Impy's near-fatal ones, death in the family, you name it -- have taken a toll on his world view that's coming out now in the art, with Ian being the most obvious representation of it. Not the only one, however; he's also drawn a sourer-looking Meji in the new panels. Poor guy. :cry:

Because old is wise, does good, and above all, kicks ass.
taltamir
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by taltamir »

You can always rely of the vague threat of a third, even more ‘Other’ group to convince to warring groups to band together in peace.
Then how come there is Shia vs Sunni violence out there?
Disciple of Sakura
Forum Trainee

Post by Disciple of Sakura »

Graybeard wrote:One thing that I find jarring about this page, and the others posted recently with new/revised art, is the way Ian is portrayed. In the new images, he looks about 30 years older (15 in human terms, so double that since he's a half elf) than in the older ones, what with the squared-off jaw, much leaner face, wrinkle lines, and so on. It isn't just a matter of age, either. He looks ... world-weary. Beaten down. Jaded. Cynical. All of this is very much at odds with the naively idealistic Ian who lasted at least as long as the fateful meetup with Kawaii, and possibly all the way to the discovery that his sister had died.
I've noticed this as well. It's the sort of thing that, in part, is just due to the progression of time. Stuff I drew five years ago looks so much different than the stuff I'm drawing now, after all. It does become somewhat apparent that a great deal of time has passed between the drawing of panels, however. Ian, especially, looks kind of crazy or bitter in some of these newer panels, much more like his later-series self. But, hey, it's still cool seeing the expanded content. So long as Jon still shoots first... ;)
Imp-Chan
Not Yet Dead
Twitter @: ImpChan

Post by Imp-Chan »

I'm HOPING that since these pages will be shaded in the book, that will do something to help even things out. It was pretty much either create more art or cut a lot of dialogue on these things.

^-^'
Because scary little devil girls have to stick together.
Tortenschachtel
Forum Trainee

Post by Tortenschachtel »

I noticed just now Ian is speaking of "the planet", not "the world". That would imply he is aware that his world is a ball of iron, rock and some other things floating trough space. Fascinating, i didn't realize they already had this knowledge.
hkmaly
Forum Regular

Post by hkmaly »

Tortenschachtel wrote:I noticed just now Ian is speaking of "the planet", not "the world". That would imply he is aware that his world is a ball of iron, rock and some other things floating trough space. Fascinating, i didn't realize they already had this knowledge.
Noticing that the thing you stand on is a ball of iron, rock and some other things floating trough space isn't so hard. Ancient Greece knew that. The hard part of speaking about "planet Earth" is realising that the thing you stand on is principially same as the (other) planets - the things you see moving between stars.