2013-04-23: [CT] Chapter Five: Where Do We Go When We Just D

For talking about the plot, the art, the dialogue, the characters, the site, and the individual updates...
eee
Errant Scholar

Re: 2013-04-18: [CT] Chapter Five: Where Do We Go When We Ju

Post by eee »

Imp-Chan wrote:The mini comics aren't actually story content, they're omake. Any donation is enough to see them, there's no minimum (though I'd appreciate it if you aimed at $2 or more due to the PayPal fees). I did debate putting them in the store, too, but since we switched store systems it makes a lot less sense to do that, because we'd have to set a pretty high minimum price to cover processing costs (which is one of the reasons we have no download products at all right now). They're actually doing pretty well without that, though. So far, the mini-comics are the only pages Michael has ever done for which he's gotten a fair industry-standard page rate in return. That's not really surprising, though, as most webcomic artists don't make anywhere near as much as they're worth.
I have to say, I enjoyed the pages considerably. They were very entertaining! Mari is adorable; Sarine, Sara, AND Jon look good in bathing suits (what we could see of them); and while it's depressing to learn boomboxes exist even in the ES world, at least if someone like Jon asked for them to be turned down, you KNOW it would be.

I do wonder what life is like for Jon and Sarine, now, though. And how twitchy their neighbors might be. :D
Imp-Chan wrote:I do understand and share your concerns about getting Poe back to creating, but the man is burned out and deeply depressed. It's everything I can do to keep him making progress on the books and interacting with the world, and sometimes we neither of us can manage even that. He is not up to the grind of running a new comic all the time, and we're all just going to have to live with that right now, Poe included. Of course I would rather have an active and eager readership just waiting to buy the books, but since nothing we are able to do right now will produce one, we're just going to have to do our best without that. We do realize our own position and what will be needed to make a kickstarter work, and I do have a plan to ensure it gets enough exposure to bring in new buyers in addition to existing readers when the time comes. If you want to brainstorm ideas to help with that, I'm very happy to hear them, but please don't expect us to alter reality to accommodate the ideal way of going forward. We know we're in a crappy position, but our choices are either give up or do what we can. It would be nice if more people appreciated that he's still working on this stuff at all, and hasn't just said fuck it and walked away. It's because there are fans who care that he's even still trying.

^-^'
Good on both of you for not giving up! Speaking as someone who has been down in the pit of depression, I encourage you to keep at it. With time, and anti-depressant drugs, life DOES eventually stop being a gray fog in which you feel nothing you do or are is of any consequence, and things get better...
Imp-Chan
Not Yet Dead
Twitter @: ImpChan

Post by Imp-Chan »

Imp-Chan wrote:I do understand feeling like you're missing out on something, though, and resenting a system that appears to be artificially setting up a situation so that more people will miss out. So while I can't promise to never offer promotional exclusives (we really do have to drive sales), I will try to figure something out to make the mini-comics available through the store in some way for at least longer than the month or two that they're available right now. Maybe some form of annual backlist subscription or something? I don't know yet, but I will work on it.
Okay, so a little research has shown that we actually could offer backlist subscriptions for the mini-comics, but I don't think we can do so yet. The site design right now is running on a much older version of WordPress/ComicPress, and can't really be updated easily. We have a new site design scheduled for this summer, which will run on the newer versions of Word/Comic Press, and that version of the site should be able to handle the kind of gallery I have in mind.

So, once the site is updated, if we put all the mini-comics we've ever done on one password-protected page, we can send the password to people who buy the backlist access, and it would be good up until we update the page again with the next mini-comic. With each update, we'd change the password. That way a single purchase doesn't mean mini-comics for eternity, because we cannot make any money that way, but whenever someone DOES purchase they get all the comics they missed, so there's no need to buy every month or anything if you can't manage that. The mini-comics could remain available in one place for however long we have a website, without taking up multiple product slots in the store. Does that seem fair?

^-^'
Because scary little devil girls have to stick together.
erejnion
Forum Trainee

Post by erejnion »

Not only fair, it seems great; to me at least. Heck, I never viewed these omake pages as a product I buy... but yeah, this way new readers would have equal incentive to donate as old, and the real obsessed ones won't feel like they are missing on any kind of content. Although... some may take it as dlc, and people on the internet seem to hate dlc. Meh.