2013-06-18: [CT] Klepto

For talking about the plot, the art, the dialogue, the characters, the site, and the individual updates...
The Comment Golem
Unstoppable Posting Machine

2013-06-18: [CT] Klepto

Post by The Comment Golem »

Discussion thread for [CT] Klepto
eee
Errant Scholar

Re: 2013-06-18: [CT] Klepto

Post by eee »

I *REALLY* like Polly. But she's either extremely good at judging her 'clients' or she's got amazing appeal, because trying to steal the wrong guy's wallet could get you shot. That's not a risk with Jon, of course, but if she does this a lot and gets away with it she's lucky or VERY good.

I wonder if Jon took advantage of her offer. If so, I hope he paid her afterwards, that would be a nice gesture.
Bytemite
Resident Wormhole Lawyer

Post by Bytemite »

I think it's probably just about certain that Polly IS actually a verifiable klepto. She's shown all sorts of indications of various mood and personality disorders in only three comics, and one of her biggest problems is impulsiveness. Kleptomania fits right in there, especially judging by how she tries to steal the wallet of a guy she knows is a career killer TWICE, the second time immediately after she'd already stolen the wallet once and he'd be looking for her to try again.

Unable to control the impulse to steal despite unnecessary risks and all common sense, no real reason for stealing other than it's there? Textbook kleptomania. And her other impulses are clearly bad enough that they've affected her quality of life and her career path. She probably does also have a drinking problem, and maybe other addictions.

However, she's kind of crazy enough and her outlook on life and occasional Pet The Dog moments makes it so that she's still kinda likeable, and also makes the problems she has more funny than tragic. I think Polly is the kind of person who will always manage to find an advantage and land on her feet somehow, despite a tendency to cheat and betray people and get into easily avoidable trouble.
Last edited by Bytemite on June 18th, 2013, 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alberich
Noble Knight Protector

Post by Alberich »

I don't agree - I think she's just spewing out excuses when she gets caught, to try to get out of trouble. Like what John Belushi does in The Blues Brothers when Carrie Fisher catches up with him - or for that matter like Meji trying to get a "pity grade" out of her professor, and playing the minority card, the penniless orphan card, the I'll-give-you-my-virginity card, and what have you. (A lot of characters in Errant Story have "comedy" personalities and I wouldn't read too much into that.)

Jon's already shown he is not the kind of person to beat the hell out of her for turning him in to the cops, let alone kill her for trying to pinch his wallet.
Bytemite
Resident Wormhole Lawyer

Post by Bytemite »

Yeah, but to steal a wallet twice in about thirty seconds? The girl has some certifiable issues.

She's spewing out excuses, sure, but that one is probably true.
dark_lord_zagato
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by dark_lord_zagato »

Ah, nature's pocket. I wonder if his wallet was warm when Jon took it back? At the very least it probably reeks of perfume now. :lol: