2013-07-10: [CT] Groggy

For talking about the plot, the art, the dialogue, the characters, the site, and the individual updates...
The Comment Golem
Unstoppable Posting Machine

2013-07-10: [CT] Groggy

Post by The Comment Golem »

Discussion thread for [CT] Groggy
hkmaly
Forum Regular

Re: 2013-07-10: [CT] Groggy

Post by hkmaly »

I would say that if the distance wouldn't change with progress of story, you are actually in better half of fantasy authors. Additional points if triangle inequality is valid for most of map.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

One of the advantages to boat travel is that it can be essentially nonstop for as long as the boat has fuel and decent sailing weather. With decent engines, they could make as much as 400 or so miles a day in that thing, crossing a fair-sized body of water in only two or three days. That's probably consistent with the way the map looks, on a large scale.

This said, the distance scale in Errant Story has always bothered me. hkmaly, you're right that distance in the Errant World is handled as credibly, and no more elastically, as in most fantasy -- but that's a pretty low bar.

Because old is wise, does good, and above all, kicks ass.
Imp-Chan
Not Yet Dead
Twitter @: ImpChan

Post by Imp-Chan »

At some point, I will sit down with Poe and have him tell me how long it takes the characters to travel between which points and by what method. Once we've approximated the distances, we can hand that data over to an actual cartographer to create a new map. I gotta tell you, though, it's kinda a low priority.

^-^'
Because scary little devil girls have to stick together.
jonnblaz
One Post Wonder

Post by jonnblaz »

With decent engines, they could make as much as 400 or so miles a day in that thing, crossing a fair-sized body of water in only two or three days. That's probably consistent with the way the map looks, on a large scale.