2008-03-03 "So, how's Meji doing?" "Uh..."

For talking about the plot, the art, the dialogue, the characters, the site, and the individual updates...
Slamlander
Keeper of the Holy Algorithms
Location: Nyon, CH, near Geneve, on the shores of the Lac Leman. The heart of Suisse Romande.

Re: 2008-03-03 "So, how's Meji doing?" "Uh..."

Post by Slamlander »

Shteven wrote:Anyways, I think it makes good sense to tailor formal outfits for Sara/Jon and possibly Meji. Sarine would probably have one that she has to retrieve/alter. They are probably heading for a trial, or at least going before a council. If you were going to modern courts you would wear a formal suit - who is wearing a suit while reading this post now? Sara may have an Ensigerum outfit, but is the appropriate, formal one? Being as elves know who the Ensigerum are, even if their ideas are wildly outdated, they will have expectations for what formal and everyday wear looks like.

I wish it weren't the case, but the clothes make the (wo)man. P.S. - I hate belts.
Expert=The guy from out of town in a suit,carrying a laptop.
I'm usually the suit with the laptop. ;) It hides the fact that I have Dunlop's syndrome ;)

Note: There is no mention of any clothing for Jon. Obviously, Sarine's going in Viradior Armor and Sara's getting formal Ensigerum garb; What does Jon , the assassin, wear that will match his six-guns .. a sarape and stetson?

***que:Music track from The good, the bad, and the ugly ...
Last edited by Slamlander on March 4th, 2008, 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sareth
RPG All-Star

Re: 2008-03-03 All Praise High Civilization and Society

Post by Sareth »

Happens.

I found the comment on the spying devices quite amusing. Got to love a civilization capable of such double speak that they can complain about the disabling of devices they won't admit to using on a citizen they won't admit to arresting... their language must be a fun one to use...
Sareth
RPG All-Star

Post by Sareth »

I actually tend to buy non froo froo women's jeans, because I have my mother's hips in spite of being male. The inward sweep for the hip causes them to hang quite nicely without a belt. If I have a belt on, it's to hold my mini-maglight and gerber multitool.
Neko7
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by Neko7 »

I wish to point that in this strip:
http://www.errantstory.com/comic.php?date=2008-01-14
the elf said: "And this symbol on the girl's sash... it almost looks like the old ensigerum insigna"

Meaning they don't reconise sarah's affiliation with the ensigerum by the uniforms, but by the insigna.
In addition, in this strip:
http://www.errantstory.com/archive.php?date=2006-10-13
Any existance of the descendant of the old ensigerum society had been officialy denied.

Therefore, having Sarah coming in public view wearing an official, traditional, civil uniform of the ensigerum from the time they were a part of the elf society, will 1- impress the common elfs that will watch them in the debate, 2- give her some official stature in the consideration (she will not be a simple human femelle anymore, she will be a female ensigerum member, that was part of the elfs social structure)
Sareth
RPG All-Star

Post by Sareth »

Neko7 wrote:Therefore, having Sarah coming in public view wearing an official, traditional, civil uniform of the ensigerum from the time they were a part of the elf society, will 1- impress the common elfs that will watch them in the debate, 2- give her some official stature in the consideration (she will not be a simple human femelle anymore, she will be a female ensigerum member, that was part of the elfs social structure)
That's one option. The other is that their response to her wearing that symbol will be to decry her as representing charlatans and fakes besmirching the memories of better people in better times. Now, I assume that Sarine would know if that was the likely reaction, so I doubt she'd do that unless she was counting on outrage. But I just thought I'd toss that out there.
Boss Out of Town
Team Captain

Re: 2008-03-03 All Praise High Civilization and Society

Post by Boss Out of Town »

Sareth wrote:I found the comment on the spying devices quite amusing. Got to love a civilization capable of such double speak that they can complain about the disabling of devices they won't admit to using on a citizen they won't admit to arresting... their language must be a fun one to use...
Oh, try any of the classic languages of diplomatic doublespeak. Latin, Greek, Chinese, French, English, Arabic, Russian, Italian, Persian . . .
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

Sareth wrote:
Neko7 wrote:Therefore, having Sarah coming in public view wearing an official, traditional, civil uniform of the ensigerum from the time they were a part of the elf society, will 1- impress the common elfs that will watch them in the debate, 2- give her some official stature in the consideration (she will not be a simple human femelle anymore, she will be a female ensigerum member, that was part of the elfs social structure)
That's one option. The other is that their response to her wearing that symbol will be to decry her as representing charlatans and fakes besmirching the memories of better people in better times. Now, I assume that Sarine would know if that was the likely reaction, so I doubt she'd do that unless she was counting on outrage. But I just thought I'd toss that out there.
Just remember, there's an elf with a broken nose as evidence that "charlatan" doesn't get it right. I would vote for neither "contempt" nor "outrage" but rather "consternation" -- which, in view of what's going on at the Ensigerum village, actually is a pretty reasonable way for the elves to be reacting, although Sarine doesn't know that yet.

Because old is wise, does good, and above all, kicks ass.
Talancir
Errant Scholar

Post by Talancir »

Sareth wrote:
let's not forget that Sara's weapon of choice is considered to be a practical joke to elves. despite looking the part, her in possession of a double bladed Durus Flamma blade is definitely going to remind some of the elves about how the ensigerum used to function, and hopefully, give a few of the old guard a great warm fuzzy, in regard to them keeping the old practical jokes alive.
davester65
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by davester65 »

Talancir wrote: let's not forget that Sara's weapon of choice is considered to be a practical joke to elves. despite looking the part, her in possession of a double bladed Durus Flamma blade is definitely going to remind some of the elves about how the ensigerum used to function, and hopefully, give a few of the old guard a great warm fuzzy, in regard to them keeping the old practical jokes alive.
I was under the impression the the Durus Flamma Spear and Shortsword were developed by the Elves for the Ensigerum to use, but that the double bladed spear was developed later by the monks themselves. I could be wrong. Sarine thought it was a joke because it looked to her to be such an impractical weapon (and she was trash talking to provoke Sara into making a mistake). Which it really is, although even an impractial weapon can be deadly in the hands of a master. It would be interesting to see if that trick that Sarine used on Sara would work on Anita (you know, grab the staff of the weapon, pull the opponent in close, punch her with the bell-guard of your saber :o ).
Slamlander
Keeper of the Holy Algorithms
Location: Nyon, CH, near Geneve, on the shores of the Lac Leman. The heart of Suisse Romande.

Post by Slamlander »

Actually, that trick could also be used with the pointy end, as well as the bell guard. However in a sword v. bo fight, the operator of the staff is quite well aware of that vulnerability and there are a number of ways to guard against it.