2008-03-17 Knok Knok, Thump, Oof

For talking about the plot, the art, the dialogue, the characters, the site, and the individual updates...
Shteven
Forum Regular

2008-03-17 Knok Knok, Thump, Oof

Post by Shteven »

It's not every week I'm up this late to start a thread. <.<
RubberBandMan
Errant Scholar

Re: 2008-3-17 Knok Knok, Thump, Oof

Post by RubberBandMan »

Interesting fact: Either Ian is getting less powerful (Doubtful) or Elven prisons can block god-powers.

'Cain, where is your brother Able?'
BloodHenge
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by BloodHenge »

RubberBandMan wrote:Interesting fact: Either Ian is getting less powerful (Doubtful) or Elven prisons can block god-powers.

I got something different from this page. Ian absorbed so much power that, when he turns his attention completely inward, it starts leaking out. There may be some wards around the room he's in, but he might've punched through anyway if he'd meditated long enough. I just don't think he had yet.

'Am I my brother's keeper?'
Pillaroforder
Heretical Monk

Post by Pillaroforder »

Why do I get a sneaky feeling that's Chris? I bet his 'weird luck' is gonna 'do' something.
Vavrek
Errant Scholar

Post by Vavrek »

RubberBandMan wrote:Interesting fact: Either Ian is getting less powerful (Doubtful) or Elven prisons can block god-powers.

You know, I first thought that he was trying to commune with Anilis somehow. I suppose Meji makes more sense, though.
SkArcher
Errant Scholar

Post by SkArcher »

My initial thought was that he was trying to contact the scary little devil girl.

I'm willing to assume that the elven prisons are damn powerful as regards anti-magic though. Some of their top spellcrafters were nigh unto demigods IIRC, and they aren't likely to have slowed down at all.
Slamlander
Keeper of the Holy Algorithms
Location: Nyon, CH, near Geneve, on the shores of the Lac Leman. The heart of Suisse Romande.

Post by Slamlander »

Plenty of grounds to think he is searching for the Goddess. Almost no ground to think he is trying to reach Meji. IIRC, they haven't even tried that before and he was thinking about it being so easy the last time. Whereas, he has been connected to Anilis before, albeit, he didn't know who she was.

Maybe the little sicko likes being dominated?
Viking-Sensei
Evil Admin Overlord
Twitter @: Kallisti_x

Post by Viking-Sensei »

We didn't see Ian before when he located Meji when he ripped a hole in the Inn and lifted her out. Perhaps he is simply harkening back to that with his comments.

And there's a significant difference between Ian bearing his mighty god prominence against the anti-magic cell wall and him just trying to actively "ping" for Meji. Were he there, I bet it would be about as effective as the military's anti-Godzilla weaponry usually is at stopping him from getting in, but he's still going to have to find her the old fashioned way first.
How could a plan this awesome possibly fail?
Boss Out of Town
Team Captain

Post by Boss Out of Town »

Has to be Meji. Anilis is inside Ian. In any event, IIRC, he barely seems to comprehend Anilis's existence. As usual, trying to do the right thing, but it is going to end badly.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

Vavrek wrote:

You know, I first thought that he was trying to commune with Anilis somehow. I suppose Meji makes more sense, though.
I too would vote for Meji as the subject of Ian's attention, but in addition to Anilis, another alternative is ... Anita. If the I-bomb is going to be used against the elves, Anita, being the control freak that she is, will want to control it. That implies either physical presence where the carnage is going on -- and while Anita is plenty brave, she's not stupid -- or telemetry. Establishing telepathic contact between those two would help both of them.

As for searching unsuccessfully for Meji (which I do think is what's going on here), remember that he couldn't find Praenubilus Astu either; why should he be able to find something in Praenubilus Astu? If nothing else, there is a "clutter" problem in picking out her magical vibes from all the other magical karma floating around there. And there is every chance that the elven jail does have some anti-magic attributes that damps out those vibes.

However, you wonder if those dampers would damp out Jon's karma, being that he's not in jail. Ian might very well think "OK, so I can't find Meji, but Jon is looking for her too. Let me find Jon (and maybe kill that elf that was tagging along with him just for practice), and the two of us can look for Meji together." And then he finds Jon's vibes somewhere in southeastern Veracia, not even all that far from the Ensigerum village ... Chris might even serve as the catalyst to get Ian thinking in those terms, with his pathetically comical (or is it comically pathetic?) sidekick tendencies.

Because old is wise, does good, and above all, kicks ass.