2008-03-28 5 .. 4 .. 3 .. 2 .. we have lift off

For talking about the plot, the art, the dialogue, the characters, the site, and the individual updates...
Slamlander
Keeper of the Holy Algorithms
Location: Nyon, CH, near Geneve, on the shores of the Lac Leman. The heart of Suisse Romande.

2008-03-28 5 .. 4 .. 3 .. 2 .. we have lift off

Post by Slamlander »

There he goes!
Sareth
RPG All-Star

Re: 2008-03-28 5 .. 4 .. 3 .. 2 .. we have lift off

Post by Sareth »

You knew it was coming. "You have lousy reception, where are you?" "Elvin jail." "... Rockin."

Looks like the concerns about Meiji being the one to do something stupid have just been completely eradicated by a big lightning bug. It's just a question of how soon he can arrive and detonate. Course, the elves are a bit better prepared than Emirylon was, being that they aren't god fearing witch burners and have some clue what is coming.

But how much you willing to bet they tell Sarine "It can't happen here" right up to the moment the first boom can be heard?
Boss Out of Town
Team Captain

Post by Boss Out of Town »

"Sir, we have a large flight of planes approaching Pearl Harbor from the north!"

"Oh? Ah, don't worry about it. Probably some of ours."
Slamlander
Keeper of the Holy Algorithms
Location: Nyon, CH, near Geneve, on the shores of the Lac Leman. The heart of Suisse Romande.

Post by Slamlander »

Heh, it looks like Sarines little Council meeting is going to get interrupted by Anilis/Ian.

What's really going to make the shit hit the fan is that Anilis is now inhabiting a half-elf and the faction in current control are of the Half-Elf=Errant persuasion. For them, this is sacrilege and when they find out, jaws will drop. But, what are you going to do against a Goddess?
Scient
Forum Regular

Post by Scient »

He's about to do it!
BandMan2K
Errant Scholar

Post by BandMan2K »

Slamlander wrote:Heh, it looks like Sarines little Council meeting is going to get interrupted by Anilis/Ian.

What's really going to make the shit hit the fan is that Anilis is now inhabiting a half-elf and the faction in current control are of the Half-Elf=Errant persuasion. For them, this is sacrilege and when they find out, jaws will drop. But, what are you going to do against a Goddess?
Simple: They'll just say that's not the True Goddess since she would most definately never sully herself within an errant shell so she must be a False Goddess...and if she's false, then we have to Burn Her!
DarkIntruder
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by DarkIntruder »

BandMan2K wrote:
Slamlander wrote:Heh, it looks like Sarines little Council meeting is going to get interrupted by Anilis/Ian.

Simple: They'll just say that's not the True Goddess since she would most definately never sully herself within an errant shell so she must be a False Goddess...and if she's false, then we have to Burn Her!
That's my guess. They'll ignore the fact that Ian has waaay more power then anyone who has come before, and just try to deal with him as a very powerful errant.

I predict that this will end in tears, for more then one character.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

So maybe Meji didn't read the note from Jon and Sarine? Because surely the essence of the thing would have been "stay calm, we're coming to rescue you" -- which should have been part of her thought-message to Ian.

The more time goes on, the harder it is to have too much sympathy for Meji. It's not just that she's spoiled and immature; that goes with the territory. She also goes well out of her way not to learn some things that immaturity shouldn't be an impediment to learning, like say the fact that Sarine and Jon have exposed themselves to an enormous amount of personal risk to help Meji out. And the fact that one of the people taking that risk is in fact an elf. And the fact that Sarine and Jon pointed out to her exactly what would happen if she went and did the stupid thing that she indeed did, yet are risking themselves to rescue her anyway. Wonder if the (not so) old fable of the cat, the canary and the cow doesn't exist in the Tsuiraku culture?

In general, Meji just looks like a magically-enhanced, pointy-eared, female Calvin, with Ellis playing the role of Hobbes.

Because old is wise, does good, and above all, kicks ass.
DarkIntruder
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by DarkIntruder »

While it is possible that she didn't read the note, I somehow doubt it. Someone as impatient as Meji would be desperate for something, anything, to happen.

I think it's more likely that she's just forgotten to tell Ian that someones coming to rescue her. It doesn't look like she'll get the chance now though, since Ian's gone critical.

I wonder if it's possible for Ian to just rocket straight through the side of the mountain to Meji's cell, like a deranged Astro Boy.
Shteven
Forum Regular

Post by Shteven »

Graybeard wrote:So maybe Meji didn't read the note from Jon and Sarine? Because surely the essence of the thing would have been "stay calm, we're coming to rescue you" -- which should have been part of her thought-message to Ian.

The more time goes on, the harder it is to have too much sympathy for Meji. It's not just that she's spoiled and immature; that goes with the territory. She also goes well out of her way not to learn some things that immaturity shouldn't be an impediment to learning, like say the fact that Sarine and Jon have exposed themselves to an enormous amount of personal risk to help Meji out. And the fact that one of the people taking that risk is in fact an elf. And the fact that Sarine and Jon pointed out to her exactly what would happen if she went and did the stupid thing that she indeed did, yet are risking themselves to rescue her anyway. Wonder if the (not so) old fable of the cat, the canary and the cow doesn't exist in the Tsuiraku culture?

In general, Meji just looks like a magically-enhanced, pointy-eared, female Calvin, with Ellis playing the role of Hobbes.
I wonder if half elves/elves mature mentally slower than humans. There are several well known points in development where small children are simply unable to perform certain basic tasks. One I recall is being able to tell which container contains more liquid: a short, wide glass or a tall thin one. They just don't have the circuitry to determine volume visually until around 6 or 7. I believe it was the case where they always pick the wider one (they judge by 2D area?). It's been a while since I read about this but there are other examples if people feel like doing research.

That said, with her being 17 she's apparently 14ish human (iirc), and 14 year old humans understand volume. So she isn't exactly a cripple...just sayin'. I mean, if I lived to 500 years I'd probably want to stop calling my father dad long before then. I'm 25 now and already getting tired of it ;)