Filler 5/18 - 5/24, 2008.

For talking about the plot, the art, the dialogue, the characters, the site, and the individual updates...
Slamlander
Keeper of the Holy Algorithms
Location: Nyon, CH, near Geneve, on the shores of the Lac Leman. The heart of Suisse Romande.

Filler 5/18 - 5/24, 2008.

Post by Slamlander »

Anita looks more craggy than Jon.
Sareth
RPG All-Star

Re: Filler 5/18 - 5/24, 2008.

Post by Sareth »

She looks a bit irritated, don't she? Someone is about to get ripped a new one...
Boss Out of Town
Team Captain

Post by Boss Out of Town »

Okay, I would pretty much prefer a Sarine transformation scene to an Anita one. Sailor Crabby-cakes, anyone?
DarkIntruder
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by DarkIntruder »

Remember that slight confusion as to how old Anita was? The more we see of her, the older she looks.

With this image, I'd pin her age at around 60. Either that, or time hasn't been kind to her. Which is a little ironic, considering that she manipulates time on a regular basis.

Maybe that's the cause? Many years of strenuous time alteration?
BloodHenge
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by BloodHenge »

When you manipulate time, it manipulates you back.
davester65
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by davester65 »

BloodHenge wrote:When you manipulate time, it manipulates you back.
Maybe that's the drawback to using time magic too much. It causes premature aging. Of course it also could simply be that Anita is 60. It takes time to rise up in the ranks of most organizations. Why would the Ensigerum be different?
Michael Poe
The Almighty Poe

Post by Michael Poe »

DarkIntruder wrote:Remember that slight confusion as to how old Anita was? The more we see of her, the older she looks.

With this image, I'd pin her age at around 60. Either that, or time hasn't been kind to her. Which is a little ironic, considering that she manipulates time on a regular basis.

Maybe that's the cause? Many years of strenuous time alteration?
She was meant to look like a 40-50 year old in extremely good shape... basically the sort of person that you can't quite actually place the correct age of. But I'm not exactly great at drawing older people so her features tend to be in a bit of a flux from one image to the next.

I think there was idea I had concerning the Ensigerum that all the low and middle level monks (Warrel, Sara, most the various Ensigerum mooks) looked fairly close to their actual age, with a few extra winkles here and there, as if they've been under a lot of stress and lack of sleep, the upper middle ranked monks (most of the instructors and the guys who actually make all those stupid weapons) just plain look old often long before their time, meanwhile the very few highest level monks (Anita, Paul, who ever else there might be) strangely enough look younger than the monks just under them, they all appear to be of an indeterminate middle age no matter what their true age might be..

On a related note, time magic cannot actually extend a person's lifespan in any sort of major way (at least not past what other magics could have also done anyway). This is even one the three uses of time magic that the Ensigerum consider to be completely impossible. Traveling back into the past, and seeing more than about 12 hours into the future are the other two. Of course, these are the exact three things that Tsuirakuian mages keep trying to do with time magic and that’s way they usually kill their fool selves trying.
Forrest
Finally, some love for the BJ!

Post by Forrest »

Michael Poe wrote:On a related note, time magic cannot actually extend a person's lifespan in any sort of major way (at least not past what other magics could have also done anyway). This is even one the three uses of time magic that the Ensigerum consider to be completely impossible. Traveling back into the past, and seeing more than about 12 hours into the future are the other two. Of course, these are the exact three things that Tsuirakuian mages keep trying to do with time magic and that’s way they usually kill their fool selves trying.
Ah, so that is why time magic research is banned in Tsuiraku!

To the wiki! . . .

EDIT for 5/20: "Sarinee", eh? I wonder, in keeping with Latin/Sanguin pronunciation, is Sarine's name pronounced "sah-ree-ney", rather than "sah-reen"? I've always pronounced it the latter way...
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

Forrest wrote:EDIT for 5/20: "Sarinee", eh? I wonder, in keeping with Latin/Sanguin pronunciation, is Sarine's name pronounced "sah-ree-ney", rather than "sah-reen"? I've always pronounced it the latter way...
I think we got it "officially" at some point that the two-syllable pronunciation is correct.

Interesting how even Poe's very earliest Sarine studies communicate a sense of Weltschmerz. Even the Meji-like one in the upper right has a distinct tinge of having seen too much unpleasant stuff.

Because old is wise, does good, and above all, kicks ass.
zanntos
Errant Scholar

Post by zanntos »

I dunno, top left lurking in her hood seems pretty grim too.