Filler 5/18 - 5/24, 2008.

For talking about the plot, the art, the dialogue, the characters, the site, and the individual updates...
davester65
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Re: Filler 5/18 - 5/24, 2008.

Post by davester65 »

Graybeard wrote:Interesting how even Poe's very earliest Sarine studies communicate a sense of Weltschmerz. Even the Meji-like one in the upper right has a distinct tinge of having seen too much unpleasant stuff.
To me the upper right image looks a lot like the way Poe drew Sarine in the early chapters. I'm rather glad he didn't decide to go with the look on the lower left (colored image), it looks downright silly.
Boss Out of Town
Team Captain

Post by Boss Out of Town »

Yo! Kudoes to Poe for going for a more "realistic" look that allows his story to be taken seriously by a broader audience.
DarkIntruder
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by DarkIntruder »

Boss Out of Town wrote:Yo! Kudoes to Poe for going for a more "realistic" look that allows his story to be taken seriously by a broader audience.

Actually, that's probably what got me hooked on Errant Story in the first place. (aside from EN)
I'm not a huge anime fan, and the fact that Poe doesn't bow to most (if any) of the anime/fantasy stereotypes and even pokes fun at them in many places really strikes a chord with me, since that was the stuff the pretty much turned me off of other series.

Anyhow, today's filler is another example of that. (5/21, 2008)

Although, pseudo-Asian effeminate Jon with long golden-brown hair? Bleh. Dodged a bullet there... :D
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

DarkIntruder wrote:
Boss Out of Town wrote:Yo! Kudoes to Poe for going for a more "realistic" look that allows his story to be taken seriously by a broader audience.

Actually, that's probably what got me hooked on Errant Story in the first place. (aside from EN)
I'm not a huge anime fan, and the fact that Poe doesn't bow to most (if any) of the anime/fantasy stereotypes and even pokes fun at them in many places really strikes a chord with me, since that was the stuff the pretty much turned me off of other series.
+1. I'm not much of one for anime either, but what we have here is way beyond anime. The skanky Sarine is amusing (if anatomically improbable -- look at those legs), but the one we've got is vastly more interesting.

As for Jon, seems like there's been less evolution there from the preliminary sketches. Of course, as Poe points out, less evolution was needed.

Anybody else interested in seeing the preliminary sketches of Anita? She's the character who could have gone in all sorts of weird ways.

Because old is wise, does good, and above all, kicks ass.
BloodHenge
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by BloodHenge »

Effiminate? In a couple of those, he looks like a girl. Like, to the point I'm thinking he might have been a girl during that phase of the design process.
Boss Out of Town
Team Captain

BloodHenge wrote:Effiminate? In a couple of those, he looks like a girl. Like, to the point I'm thinking he might have been a girl during that phase of the design process.
Or, possibly, a woman. Although that one on the lower right would definitely be girly.
DarkIntruder
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by DarkIntruder »

If I recall correctly, Poe said that Sara and Jon were once basically the same character.

Yup, in the wiki, at the bottom:
http://www.errantstory.com/wiki/index.php/Jon_Amraphel

So that might account for any girly characteristics. Well, that and the manga stereotypes again.
davester65
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by davester65 »

DarkIntruder wrote:If I recall correctly, Poe said that Sara and Jon were once basically the same character.

So that might account for any girly characteristics. Well, that and the manga stereotypes again.
I remember that wiki article as well. It makes me wonder how different the dynamics of Jon's (Joan's?) and Sarine's relationship would have been if that character had been female.
Boss Out of Town
Team Captain

DarkIntruder wrote:If I recall correctly, Poe said that Sara and Jon were once basically the same character.

:x Waitaminute, what is this!?

"He's proficient with firearms, reasonably enough."

Ever tried hitting a 2 inch moving target at forty feet with a pistol? Jon is a crack marksman, comparable to the best show pistoleers you'll find on U-tube. That he would even attempt the shot he took at Nookie as she moth-handled Meji proves he's even better than we've seen.
Yar Kramer
New Poster

Post by Yar Kramer »

I'd go so far as to say he looks a reasonable bit like Skuld in some places there.

I much prefer the current version, naturally. ;)