2008-09-08 "So Awesome!"

For talking about the plot, the art, the dialogue, the characters, the site, and the individual updates...
davester65
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Re: 2008-09-08 "So Awesome!"

Post by davester65 »

RubberBandMan wrote:I wonder if 'sparring' is a typical first date among elfish fighters? Sarine may not be upset at Misa, but at Sara for playing the field, because she assumed that the Ensigerum had kept that 'practice' in effect.

"Live weapons" may not mean what we think it means.
That would explain what I perceive to be a bit of ambivalence on Sara's part. For all our fantasizing, maybe Sara isn't a lesbian and maybe this kind of sparring was how Warrel got her into the sack back when she was his student. Because most other elves apparently still treat Misa like a kid, she might have had any sparring matches that ended "that way" and she might not realize that Sara thinks Misa is hitting on her. Sarine probably knows better and maybe expecting to walk in on some red hot action and instead might just walk in on a friendly sparring match.
Sheik Yerbouti
Forum Trainee

Post by Sheik Yerbouti »

I have yet to see some sort of conclusive evidence that Warrel got Sara in the sack.

In any case, I'm pretty sure both parties just figure it's a little bit of fighting and exercise. Misa thinks it's cool to fight an ensigerum, and Sara thinks it's less boring than sitting around trying to meditate while Jon and/or Meji are saying annoying things to the guards.
davester65
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by davester65 »

Sheik Yerbouti wrote:I have yet to see some sort of conclusive evidence that Warrel got Sara in the sack.
There's nothing conclusive per say, but depending on how you read a couple of pages in chapter 23, it's not an unreasonable conclusion to draw.
Sareth
RPG All-Star

Post by Sareth »

I'm recalling the scene where Warrel held a chat with Sara while Sara had not a lick of clothing on her. The interaction and expressions were about as sexually aware as two rocks speaking. I take that as evidence that, in fact, Warrel and Sara had NO sexual interest or interaction with one another.

Between that and Misa's commentary about her treatement, while it's possible there may be some sexual subcontext to the conversation and sparring (and I'd not mind that at all) it is my suspicion that they are both virgins of undetermined orrientation, though there are hints that Misa has some puppylove interest in Sarine that may only be misplaced hero worship.
mindstalk
Typo-Seeking Missile

Post by mindstalk »

Sareth wrote:I'm recalling the scene where Warrel held a chat with Sara while Sara had not a lick of clothing on her. The interaction and expressions were about as sexually aware as two rocks speaking. I take that as evidence that, in fact, Warrel and Sara had NO sexual interest or interaction with one another.
Whereas others of us see that scene as a sign of teacher-student exploitative relationship. Not that I think all such relationships need be exploitative, but given Sara's lack of affect and Warrel's personality...
AdamZero
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by AdamZero »

Warrel came off as a bit of a dick from when I read it.

Personally I'm glad he got shot.
Sareth
RPG All-Star

Post by Sareth »

This is, of course, only my personal interpretation. Certainly it can be seen in other ways. But I should think if it was exploitative in even the remotest sense, Warrel would have given her the sort of look that says "I can fuck you whenever I want cause I am the master." Instead she may as well have been wearing a burka for all the attention his eyes gave her.

Which proves he's an idiot, cause Sara has a nice bod... One that would look great being worn by Misa...

Err...
RubberBandMan
Errant Scholar

Post by RubberBandMan »

It wasn't the naked-ness of that moment as much as the implied naked-ness of the moment before. I was one of the people that pointed out the implications, but all and all I doubt that is what was really going on now.

Still, can't discount how friendly Misa may get. During an after-fight cleaning up, it would be perfectly in character for Misa to do a little girl talk, and other normal everyday interactions that would leave Sara looking for a way out. It doesn't have to go a sexual slant for this to end not very well at all.
pillar_of_hate
Forum Regular

Post by pillar_of_hate »

No, see, it all fits. Sara is naked, but even though there's a young, fit, swaggering guy in the room, she just kind of ignores him because she's totally not interested. Most girls I know, if they should happen to be scantily clad and encounter a handsome guy like that, will at least try to flirt or something.

Sara is just like, "Whatever, perv." She's into girls.
Sareth
RPG All-Star

Post by Sareth »

That or they panick and try to hide.

Point remains, their reactions are totally assexual, which is very NOT the response of people who have sex, regardless of whether it's pure and wonderful love or an abusive relationship.

Which, getting back to my original point, does not mean that Sara has never had sex, but it does imply strongly that she's never had sex with Warrel. Given that my reading of things is that she joined the Ensigerum young, and that they tend to be pretty intensive in their training, I find it believable that she hasn't really had many opportunities with anyone else, either. (This, I admit, is far more speculative than the bit about Warrel). So, I find it quite likely that "little baby Misa" and Sara are both virginal.

Still leaves the question of what their orrientation they have...