2008-09-19 not very good at this

For talking about the plot, the art, the dialogue, the characters, the site, and the individual updates...
wrog
Errant Scholar

2008-09-19 not very good at this

Post by wrog »

um, yeah. Let's put Sara to work manning a suicide hotline.

Hm, wonder how much use the elves would have for such a thing... ?
BloodHenge
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Re: 2008-09-19 not very good at this

Post by BloodHenge »

Sara reminds me so much of Jon right here. Although, he'd probably be saying this sarcastically, while Sara may be trying to be serious...
Slamlander
Keeper of the Holy Algorithms
Location: Nyon, CH, near Geneve, on the shores of the Lac Leman. The heart of Suisse Romande.

Post by Slamlander »

Sara Amraphael wrote:You brought me down here to fight you, not because of my people skills."
One of the all-time best lines of the story so far and all the other candidates are either by Sarine or Jon. :lol:
BloodHenge wrote:Sara reminds me so much of Jon right here. Although, he'd probably be saying this sarcastically, while Sara may be trying to be serious...
The line itself is saturated until oozing with sarcasm.
mindstalk
Typo-Seeking Missile

Post by mindstalk »

Wow, so much awesome. Also, record talky from Sara. Besides yelling at Jon and Sarine, or crushing Chris's ego. (Still not sure if she was being mean or helpful there.)

Does anyone ever actually say "there, there"? Only worse, she said "there, there?" Like she knows she doesn't know what she's doing.
RubberBandMan
Errant Scholar

Post by RubberBandMan »

I think everyone in comic and out agree she doesn't know what she's doing.

I can picture a teenage-Jon trying to make child-Sara feel better, and doing that same gambit.

"There there? I'm sure that if you try real hard, you can find a real dragon just before it eats you..."

Of course, if it WAS Jon here, I doubt he'd say anything different, but he most likely wouldn't have to pause for a frame just to think of what to say. Granted, Jon has been practicing his snark, Sara is a bit rusty on sarcasm I think. Still, she's learning from the best experts in the field of ES. Between Jon, Meji, and Sarine she both has many chances to learn, and even different styles to choose from.
Initial B
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by Initial B »

That one-liner is one of the best in ES so far.

However, despite lack of people skills, I think we've seen more compassion from Sara in this brief scene than she has shown through her prior appearances in the comic. I wonder if she might become a moderating influence for the the general hate-on the Ensigerum have for the elves.
proudhon
Forum Trainee

Post by proudhon »

If she's gonna get jaded
I think hanging out with the cat for an hour or
two would give you a crash course in a number of forms of anti social humor

Maybe not subtle but i've always enjoyed watching someone go
for the jugular
joe
davester65
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by davester65 »

mindstalk wrote:Wow, so much awesome. Also, record talky from Sara. Besides yelling at Jon and Sarine, or crushing Chris's ego. (Still not sure if she was being mean or helpful there.)

Does anyone ever actually say "there, there"? Only worse, she said "there, there?" Like she knows she doesn't know what she's doing.
I think I've used "there, there" when comforting my nieces and nephews (I don't have kids) when they were toddlers and crying for some reason. I'd never use it on an adult unless I thought they were being silly and I was in a sarcastic mood. In other words, in the situation Sara is in now with Misa.
BloodHenge
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by BloodHenge »

RubberBandMan wrote:Still, she's learning from the best experts in the field of ES. Between Jon, Meji, and Sarine she both has many chances to learn, and even different styles to choose from.
Don't forget Ellis.
Neko7
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by Neko7 »

RubberBandMan wrote:Also, from the last comic she went from kneeling on Misa's left to sitting on Misa's right. Granted, between those two comics I get the sense that they're talking more then what we're seeing. And the panel that you pointed out might be showing that there was a great long pause between what Sara said and then Misa's reply, and Sara just puts down and picks up her staff as a non-verbal tic.
in fact, i have the impression that if you look at the strip like in a miror, with thw text at the same place, this one seems to make more sence graphicly for what you said