2008-03-30 Please don't, at least not over this!

For talking about the plot, the art, the dialogue, the characters, the site, and the individual updates...
Slamlander
Keeper of the Holy Algorithms
Location: Nyon, CH, near Geneve, on the shores of the Lac Leman. The heart of Suisse Romande.

Re: 2008-03-30 Please don't, at least not over this!

Post by Slamlander »

Sareth wrote:Allow me to weigh in as a veteran with three combat tours under his belt.ff.
You have me by one tour.
Sareth wrote:War is a great evil.

I'll say it again.

War is a great evil.

The problem is, sometimes (rarely, but it does happen) it's the least evil option on a list with no good options.

Least evil option. Not fighting Germany would have been worse.
But the fallacy is that it takes two to fight. It only take one insane leader and you will have the war. Hitler was arguably insane.
Sareth wrote:War, disgustingly, makes a LOT of sense... if you aren't the one actually fighting it. If it didn't make sense and have reason behind it, no one would risk it.
Actually, I was relating to my past friends in Simi Valley, CA. The "Booyaa" boys, aka the Weasles Motorcycle club. None of which had ever actually seen combat. They were all for Bush's War. In the case of Iraq, both the US and Iraq would have been better off without the invasion. Saddam wasn't threatening anybody. He had nothing to threaten with. He was contained. Everyone else, including Shroeder and Chirac, told him that, while Blair was busy fabricating the intelligence reports about Iraq's WMDs. The insane one there was Bush.

I'm not against war, in general, I support the effort in Afghanistan. But, don't tell me that it's rational. One side or both is usually not playing with a full deck. I agree that you don't usually have a good alternative. That does not make it rational.
S L A M L A N D E R
Isn't Sarine technically a MILF?
Itterind
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by Itterind »

Talancir wrote:trying to dig myself out of this huge freaking hole crew checking in.

oh, such a shame. I'm pretty sure that was sarna in the flashback way back when sarine was training up the old ensigerum, when she had longer hair... http://www.errantstory.com/comic.php?date=2004-11-03

so yes, it's a shame that it's come to this.

Well, now I guess Sarine has to kill her old friend in self-defense because she lost her mind and betrayed her (in an attempt to help in a way that SHE thought was a good idea but which turned out not to be unless the Elven Demigod somehow makes things worse for the Elves than Tsuiraku and Ian on the Elves).
Not murder and Sarine may turn out to be right (or wrong and a traitor) about everything, but this is uncomfortably close to murder.
Last edited by Itterind on March 30th, 2009, 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Itterind
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by Itterind »

Sareth wrote:War, disgustingly, makes a LOT of sense... if you aren't the one actually fighting it. If it didn't make sense and have reason behind it, no one would risk it.
Actually, I was relating to my past friends in Simi Valley, CA. The "Booyaa" boys, aka the Weasles Motorcycle club. None of which had ever actually seen combat. They were all for Bush's War. In the case of Iraq, both the US and Iraq would have been better off without the invasion. Saddam wasn't threatening anybody. He had nothing to threaten with. He was contained. Everyone else, including Shroeder and Chirac, told him that, while Blair was busy fabricating the intelligence reports about Iraq's WMDs. The insane one there was Bush.

I'm not against war, in general, I support the effort in Afghanistan. But, don't tell me that it's rational. One side or both is usually not playing with a full deck. I agree that you don't usually have a good alternative. That does not make it rational.[/quote]

Saddam hailed 9/11, as the only nation in the world (The Taliban, if I remember correctly, were silent despite sheltering Al Qaeda). Whether he really didn't have anything going aside, it was proven that he'd had WMDs in the past and that he has functioning programs that were on the freezer sans money. The anti-war crowd is also the anti-sanctions crowd. Saddam was not in his box, only temporarily contained, the sanctions towards him were under increasing pressure. Furthermore the UN had passed 'grave consequences' over a decade ago if he did not comply, which he did not. The US was the only one to, with Britain, to go forth and enforce these 'vague consequences'. The UN also set forth a mandate for US occupation after the successful invasion, perhaps because it felt forced to, but regardless it lends some international legitimacy.
I'd also like to point out the depravity of the Saddam police state and that a period of chaos, its length dependant on the competence and strength of the occupier and new regime, is expected from a newly formed state/regime. Since 2003 Iraqi civil rights, with the exception of areas under insurgent or criminal control, have been greatly expanded, and since 2004 the economy has been booming.
'The man with the Deadly Lens'? Ever see that movie? Terrorists use the media. I'm not saying the media does not often bring actual and factual truths to the public, but it's scope is sadly limited.
Despite the incompetencies of Rumsfeld and the Media (whom I'd dub wrong and wronger quoting the book 'How to Make War' last edition: 2003) the security situation, while worsening, had it's foundation renewed and expanded during the years of 2003-2006. The year of 2007 was the tipping point, while in 2008 it became very obvious for those in the know that the insurgency had been well and truly defeated. Diplomatic gains were solidified in January and are likely to reach a tipping point late in the year with the demolition of religious parties in the upcoming national elections.
These gains will be much harder to find in Afghanistan due to it's fragmented nature, geograpy, distance to the US and proximity to Pakistan, where the Taliban originated.

The Iraqi war has been resoundingly won... I refer to the longwarjournal.org for accurate strategic and battlefield information and grand strategy.

Does victory excuse improper means? As I would say, 'improper means' is hugely debatable. But I would venture to say that when sacrificing lives, the bulk of responsibility lies in the results (i.e. some of the worst things in the world have been perpetrated by those with the best intentions).

Iraq is a better place, it no longer can or will threaten the world. It has civil rights, increasing prosperity and a much brighter future by any austere scientific measurement. The cost will be roughly one trillion dollars in upfront US taxdollars with another trillion in benefits (but this will come back to benefit the economy like the rise of the post-WWII middle class ex-soldiers), four thousand lives (at a casualty rate of 30% of the Vietnam war per soldier per tour) and a unknown single-digit hundreds of thousands of Iraqi and foreign insurgents, criminals (forming the support element) and civilians.

I personally was not afraid of Iraq before the war and I saw that more trouble than necessary was coming when they botched the occupation. I supported the war because Iraq for it's own sake sorely needed a regime change. This is not to say that Iraq was not hostile to Israel, the West and the US specifically and supported terrorists not linked to Al Qaeda... but fear is such a spoony reason for war.

I remember how the public would bemoan Iraq and hail past wars such as the Korean or enjoy it's conquests of land in America and Australia at the expense of the natives or take land from Germany after the world wars or colonize South Africa (which btw. was largely empty due to it's topography before the Brits and Boers settled there (one could even go so far as to argue it was desolate and that the whites of South Africa are aborigines, not that this excuses apartheid but it gives food for thought, especially in view of the racism against white and non-blacks by the ANC).

Iraq is a better place now and it cost a lot. People these days are not willing to pay the cost unless it's completely black and white, which a situation where local insurgents kill innocents and blame it on the occupiers (this happens a LOT in Afghanistan, as well as misreporting or fake claims for compensation or bribes are used to cancel raids) in the face of the most collateral-friendly fire systems and doctrines in the history of man... yes, one can blame the flaws in its execution and the casus belli in the first place: If one desires a perfect world, or one pretty close it.
But I know man is evil. And if good men require 100% of themselves rather than 99% or 95% than great evil will prevail, or at least survive in corners of the world.

And as for the casus belli... it is very arguable that the British and American intelligence agencies at the time were NOT fabricating evidence, and indeed believed in most or all of their claims as the truth or close to the truth. I will agree that they manipulated potential evidence, perhaps on orders, in the belief that they were correct and would be proven right, thus enabling them not to sweat the details.

Yes, the war was clearly started for ulterior motives (that was so obvious), but I do not believe they were knowingly lying. Rather they were incompetently and erronously using what they thought was the truth for an excuse.

I do not like it, nor am I willing to accept it, but I will not crucify something as good as the invasion and occupation over moderate selfishness and severe incompetence mixed with altruistic motives resulting in enormous human suffering.

Because already now Iraq is a better place for most and the inhabitants realize this (despite the ingratitude of some, though I suppose they are somewhat justified), and in a decade or two their children will praise the past.

I haven't been in the military but I would like to serve as a contractor or US military in any theatre of operations/war. Sadly this path remains blocked to me for now (I want to retire after 20 years!). Respect for your tours. I mean no disrepect by disagreeing with any of you, personally or intellectually.
Last edited by Itterind on March 30th, 2009, 12:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Itterind
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by Itterind »

Slamlander wrote:Neko7: Someone once gave b the following formula

War is the absence of reason; War = Irrationality
Insanity = Irrationality
Therefore War = Insanity.

I have observed the same phenomenon
* Viet Nam War (US)
* The Cold War
* Granada
* Falkland Islands
* Afghanistan (RU)
* Desert Storm (US led coalition)
* Afghanistan (US led coalition)
* Iraq (Bush's War)

The sentiment of war does not allow reason. Those who insist on reason are often denounced as traitors, whether they actually are or not. That is the nature of the war sentiment.

Traitors are only those who knowingly and willingly work against a group they are a part of.
Protesting a war is perfectly acceptable as long as you're using the truth and are not doing it against the interest of your nation. If you're wrong you've or have duped yourself and are a traitor, though if there is a sufficient reason for it you may be right to betray.
It's a thin line between acceptable criticism in the disinterest of one's group and betrayal.

Narcs and spies are also traitors, so there is room for ethical betrayal, but it will always be colored.

And I hope Sarna wins and kills Sarine.
Imp-Chan
Not Yet Dead
Twitter @: ImpChan

Post by Imp-Chan »

I believe there may be a distinction to be made between acting against the best interests of a group... and merely acting against their preferences.

^-^'
Because scary little devil girls have to stick together.
Itterind
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by Itterind »

Good point Impy. Though it's just as vague as my statements because preferences and best interests don't necessarily collide. Evil or preferences we simply don't like can be in a nation's best interests.
Sareth wrote:Allow me to weigh in as a veteran with three combat tours under his belt.

War is a great evil.

I'll say it again.

War is a great evil.

The problem is, sometimes (rarely, but it does happen) it's the least evil option on a list with no good options.

The vast majority of wars have been flat out bad ideas. One could argue that one side was defending itself, but really, things like the 30 Years War, the 100 Years War, the Crimean War, the Napoleonic Wars, the First World War, Viet Nam... Both sides were looking for an excuse, there was no defending themselves going on.

But then you get a war like World War II. It was horrible. It was awful. It was a travesty. It was a horrific blight that wiped out some of the best of a generation of young men (and plenty of women as well, combatants or no) and devestated beautiful countries. But if the alternative would have been to allow Adolph Hitler and the Nazis to dominate all of Europe?

Least evil option. Not fighting Germany would have been worse.

But just because War is almost never justifiable, does not mean there's no reason behind it. The assertion "War is the absence of reason" isn't correct, sadly. War is actually a very rational thing... for everyone not directly involved in the actual fighting. To the grunt on the ground, the little girl hiding in her celler as a battle wages over head, the officer sending his men in to die, war often seems to be very short on reason. But to the great magnates, the great statesmen, the movers and shakers of nations, war makes far, far too much sense. It is a tool they can use to extend their power and make money. Well, unless you lose. Victorious nations, and the powerful men supplying the arms and supplies to the war machine, have typically made vast fortunes. Every bullet sold, every gun made, every meal provided, someone makes money off that. New provinces and territories result in further raw resources, further populations to tax, draft, and appoint people over. And victorious battles make for legends that lead to political clout. There's a reason so many U.S. Presidents have been "War Heroes."

War, disgustingly, makes a LOT of sense... if you aren't the one actually fighting it. If it didn't make sense and have reason behind it, no one would risk it.

/rant off.

I think the 30 years war could be largely blamed on the Catholics and WWI somewhat less on Germany (nobody wanted to fight, but they were the most paranoid) and moreover the Serbs for the Black Hand and the Napoleonic Wars on France (it's one thing to defend your revolution and secure the near abroad, another one to invade an 'entire' continent and then some).

Graybeard wrote:
Sareth wrote:Allow me to weigh in as a veteran with three combat tours under his belt.

War is a great evil.

I'll say it again.

War is a great evil.

Well said.

There is, however, a very important point here that Sarna is missing. Sarine is TELLING her about the airships. Sarine wants the airships stopped too. Now why would an enemy of the elves do that?

Trying to extrapolate from real-world conflict to what's happening here is probably unhelpful, if inevitable. There has never, at least to my knowledge, been a real-world situation in which two powerful nations go to war over an issue where both sides feel justified but are clearly wrong -- and where a one-human-sized third party KNOWS they are both wrong, sees the horrifying danger posed by yet a different party, and even more improbable, has access to the centers of power on both sides to try to get them to see things her way. That just doesn't happen in the real world. Consider World War II, which many historians call "the last just war." Sarine isn't doing the equivalent of trying to "mediate" between England and Germany circa 1941 (i.e., after they're already at war) while back-stabbing both, which might be a contemptible activity depending on your perspective. (History does not view Rudolf Hess very favorably.) Rather, she's more in a position of single-handedly trying to keep the British and French militaries from destroying each other BEFORE the war starts -- which, had it occurred in the real world, would have had unspeakably ghastly consequences for civilization. But that was never a possibility in the real world.
She's trying to absolve herself of guilt and blackmail Sarna and the elves at the same time. AND KEEP IN MIND Sarine sicked the Brits on France (or the other way around, I think American and Britain would be a better picture since France got licked) in the first place.

Rudolph Hess was more innocent than most nazis, if he even was one (I think so). He payed for the crimes of all, as a major figure, he absolved the blame of many of those who were simply shot, escaped or killed themselves. Very unfair in one way but fair in another (such as GENOCIDE! or familicide in the Old Testament), but there it is, blood for blood.

Personally I would rate the Afghanistan war as 10 out of 10 on the ethics scale, OIF as a 7-8 and OEF as 9.
As to them being logical? Of course they are.
The troops in Afghanistan are there to prop up a corrupt, incompetent, traitorous government which otherwise would be replaced by a bunch of religious fanatics intent on the destruction of us. Likewise for operations in Pakistan, only they have a Red Herring government in control of about 30% of the nation, (20% for AQI-Taliban and Allies and 50% for their ISI and military allies... a few percent perhaps for the semi-secular rebels in Balochistan).
Same goes for Somalia.

Iraq was a war perpetrated for:

1 (three reasons) Regime Change&Regional Influence&Democratization
2 (three reasons) Economic Reasons & Preemptive Strike (current capabilities and estimated capabilities) & Backing up regional allies (Israel, Kurds and to a lesser extent Kuwait, Saudi Arabia)
3 (two reasons) Revenge and Altruistic Motives/Ideals

Don't underestimate Revenge and Ideals/Altruism (whether the latter is actually good for the object is in question, but in this case I would give a definite yes despite cost. All wars cost and few of the ones that make the world a better place are completely clean. WWII was not, I could go on about unethical allied behavior).

People really seem to forget WWII wasn't a clear-cut moral question back in the day.

As for Sarine her actions may come to benefit the elves, but they are far more likely to exterminate them.
In one of the worst-case scenarios of an insane elven demigod the Elves are STILL more unlikely to be exterminated than a rag-tag group (because the Tsuirakuan are unlikely to work with the elves against Ian) of protagonists/'heroes' finding a way to stop Ian before he and his allies finish them off.

Face it Sarine, even if you don't seem able to understand it you've betrayed your species by bringing it closer to extinction.
Like the Elven Commander said, 'even if Tsuiraku works with us I don't think we'll succeed'.
Can anyone honestly say they think Ian can be stopped from exterminating the elves with his allies by Meji, Jon, Sarine, Bani, Sara and a cat? And don't list the unlikely alliance of elves and mages and clerics, it probably wouldn't work as the elven commander said and it's a diplomatic impossibility.

Perhaps there is a plotgun to do it, but I even doubt that plan, and the character's don't know they're in a story.

Thinking she's smart enough to save her race and ultimately endangering them makes Sarine a horribly bad person in some ways.
Last edited by Itterind on March 30th, 2009, 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mindstalk
Typo-Seeking Missile

Post by mindstalk »

The hundreds of thousands of Iraqis who are dead aren't better off. And they had friends and family, who might prefer them to be alive rather than enjoy the current 'prosperity'. As for peace, I don't know how much is genuine, how much is cease-fire on the part of Shiite militias for now, and how much is because Baghdad has been (ethnically isn't quite right) cleansed of Sunnis. It used to be half-and-half, now it's 10% Sunnis; the rest died or fled. "They make a desert and call it peace." And then there's the silent majority -- women. Under pre-sanctions Iraq women had it pretty good; Iraq was a secular country with somewhat modern attitudes. Careers, loose clothing, etc. Things got more conservative in the poverty of sanctions, and the post-invasion proto-regimes didn't seem very friendly to women's rights.

The anti-war crowd may or may not have been anti-sanctions, but they were pro-inspections. Inspectors were there, not finding weapons. Our government chose to believe faulty (at best) intelligence over on-the-ground data, and invaded. Hey, look, the inspectors were right! We got a hundred thousand people killed over non-existent WMDs and dubious ideas of democratic regime change. And the decision-makers go home scot-free.
Itterind
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by Itterind »

Actually the democratic process is working out pretty well, with some comparatively minor lumps. The Sons of Iraq won't open their guns again, that's just the media blathering on about phantom threats. The Iraqi army is too huge by now and the new players have a stake to protect. The last big one is being excised later this year. I'm not sure if it's as low as 10% but many Sunnis are coming back these days.

The focus now is mainly crime and corruption. The criminals form the support element for terrorism (selling their services). Corruption is also very important to destroy, something democracy helps with immensely.
The Saddam regime was more corrupt.

And yes, people have to die and be worse off quite often for the rest to be better off. Though I remind you that a good portion of those Iraqi casualties were insurgents, terrorists, criminals forming a support network and innocent civilians actively murdered by terrorists and sectarian insurgents... something the US never did.

'They make a desert and call it peace.' - Nearly Completely Unjustified with several moderate truths (The damage is great but much less than one would come to think.)
'Iraq was a modern place with somewhat secular attitudes' It was also a police state where roving gang of government-sanctioned thugs would rape, steal from or kill you. It's not for nothing the Baghdadis came out and cheered. They just expected the bad to be gone AND the good to come along real quickly without more bad. And Iraq EARNED their sanctions.

It is a scientific truth (rate happiness levels demographically) when I say Iraq was a really horrible place of it's own doing before the war. It's better now and quickly improving.
Check longwarjournal.org or strategypage.com or find various people reporting from the ground (not many explosions to find these days though most reporters flock to them, but make sure to listen to the few ones just wandering around too) or go there yourselves.

http://www.longwarjournal.org/archives/ ... enpals.php

Another Article with a map: http://www.longwarjournal.org/archives/ ... rce_26.php
Spoiler: show
The March 2009 updates to the Iraqi Security Forces Order of Battle are now available at the ISF OOB homepage. The significant changes to the Order of Battle that occurred in February are summarized below.
Iraqi Arms Purchases.

The effects of the budget crunch on Iraqi weapons purchases remain to be determined. Iraq's Ministry of Defense and Ministry of Interior have differing budget problems and priorities. Also, there is the possibility the government of Iraq may issue a supplemental appropriation from its cash reserves to pay for equipment. Current funding levels need to be increased or Iraq will have to stretch out many programs.

Despite reports that M1A1 tanks were not to be delivered until 2010 or 2011, Iraq took delivery of its first four M1A1s in February. These four tanks and 18 more being delivered in March will be used to train 13 companies (11 tank crews each company), at 45 days of training each. The first 140 of the M1A1 tanks are scheduled to complete delivery to Iraq by August 2010. The 7th and 11th Iraqi Army Divisions, followed by the 14th and 3rd Iraqi Army Divisions, will probably be the first to receive the M1A1s. By the end of 2009, two of the four Iraqi tank battalions that these 140 tanks represent are to be formed.

Iraqi Army Force Developments.

Multi-National Security Transition Command-Iraq has updated its Web site and it includes the 2009 Iraqi Army Force Generation Plan. This plan envisions:

- The completion of the last 4 Location Commands;
- The fielding of 20 81mm Mortar Platoons and 10 120mm Artillery Batteries;
- The fielding of 2 Tank Battalions;
- The fielding of key enable capabilities;
- 12 Service Regiments;
- 6 Engineering Regiments;
- 1 MP Company;
- 1 Fuel Transport Company;
- 13 Signal Tactical Operations Centers (TOCs);
- 13 Low Level Voice Interceptor and Light Motor Recon Platoons.
In the case of the mortars, this listing required some amplification explaining the non-standard designations. The six-tube 81mm mortar batteries are being called "platoons" to differentiate them from the nine-tube 120mm mortar half-battalions.

In February, there were repeated references to the "Quick Intervention Corps (QIC)." The Iraqi Army has planned to form four corps by 2012. Four divisions have been previously identified as part of the Quick Reaction Forces. Those divisions are the 1st, 4th, 7th, and 9th Divisions. This could be the first reference to the organization of an Iraqi Army corps.

The Iraqi Army is receiving 81mm and 120mm mortars in June 2009. To prepare for the mortars, a new Iraqi Army Artillery School has been established at Besmaya Combat Training Center. This school's Light Artillery Wing is established for mortar training. The formation of a "Light Artillery Wing" suggests there is a "Heavy Artillery Wing" planned for howitzer training. The only Iraqi Army brigade identified as already receiving 120mm mortar training is the 38th Brigade of the 10th Division.

Special Forces training is reported in two divisions of the Iraqi Army. Elements of 8th Iraqi Army Division have been photographed wearing a "Iraqi Special Forces" patch. Elements of US Special Forces have been previously reported training brigades of the 8th Division. US Marine Corps Force Reconnaissance elements have been training elements of 1st Battalion, 1st Brigade, of the 1st Iraqi Army Division at Ramadi.

A new battalion has been reported in the 5th Division. The 4-18/5 Battalion was reported operating in Diyala province.

The composition of Iraqi Army's route-clearance teams has been reported. "Each Iraqi route clearance team consists of 3 M1151 (up armored HMMWV) and one Badger route clearance vehicle with Ferret Arm."

In Taji, the Regional Training Center finally received barracks facilities for its students. Prior to this, the students had been residing in tents.

Recognized Divisions.

Some of the reporting on the number of Iraqi Army Divisions is confusing. Part of the problem is that there are differing counts of recognized divisions in the Iraqi Army. The US force generation sections are recognizing only 13 divisions (1st through 12th and 14th). The operations sections are recognizing 14 divisions (1st through 12th and 14th plus 17th). The Iraqi Ministry of Defense claimed 16 divisions in June 2008, it now acknowledges only 14 divisions. There are actually 16 Iraqi Army divisions manned or partially manned.

The 1st through 12th and 14th Iraqi Army Divisions are recognized by all parties. The 17th Division is partially formed and has three brigades operational. The 17th Division was formed without US support and continues to be built without US support. The 15th and 16th Divisions are reported to be fully recruited against, but not commissioned. These divisions are basically two Kurdish Divisions and are totally self-sufficient. Iraqi Ministry of Defense personnel are currently denying that these are slated to be Iraqi Army Divisions.

The fact that the IA held those division numbers (15th and 16th) open for their formation indicates somebody at high level in the Ministry of Defense approved the deal to transfer these two Kurdish divisions and designate them 15th and 16th Divisions. The 15th Division was to have been commissioned in August 2008.

What has probably happened is that falling oil prices along with the resulting Iraqi budget crunch has created a political dispute and delay. Iraqi Ministry of Defense personnel may have been told to stonewall this subject to all inquires, while the parliament sorts out what is authorized and funded, and what is cut from the budget this year. Two months into fiscal year 2009 and the Iraqi Parliament was still debating the 2009 budget because of the unexpectedly low oil revenue. The budget finally passed on March 5. Details of the cuts are not fully apparent yet.

Iraqi Navy. Air Force, and ISOF.

The Iraqi Navy is expanding its diving force. The Iraqi Navy Diving Squadron has been receiving Riged Hull Inflatable Boat training at Basrah. This is the first report of this squadron's existence.

Despite reports to the contrary, the Iraqi Air Force's 2nd Squadron is still based at Taji, still flies Hueys, and has been getting Night Vision Training. The 2nd Squadron completed NVD training Feb. 8. The 12th (Rotary) Training Squadron is in Kirkuk operating Jet Ranger helicopters.

The first Lasta-95 trainer completed its first flight test in Serbia. Iraq still expects to receive 20 of these aircraft.

Base surveys for the expanding Iraqi Air force continued in February. Taqaddum Air Base was surveyed for use as a training and logistics base. A location at Tikrit was also reviewed for a possible new air base. Taqaddum is near the 1st Iraqi Army Division's headquarters base, and Tikrit is the location of the 4th Iraqi Army Division's headquarters.

Iraqi Special Operations Forces as of January 2009.

Multi-National Security Transition Command-Iraq has updated its Iraqi Special Operations Force page. The graphic to the right indicates that the 5th Battalion is now designated as reconnaissance. The last 9010 Quarterly Report to Congress listed the 5th Battalion as assigned to training.

Iraqi Ministry of Interior Forces.

Training of the Iraqi National Police continues. On Feb. 12, 533 members of 1-6/2 INP Battalion graduated from Phase III Carabinarie training. The next class to go through this training will be two battalions (900). An additional Iraqi National Police Academy has been identified at Amarah.

New emergency police battalions and their components continue to be identified. Six emergency battalions and an Emergency Response (SWAT) Unit were added to the order of battle in February: The Habbenayah SWAT Unit, Baaj Emergency Battalion, 5th and 6th Emergency Battalions in the Fallujah Brigade, plus the 4th, 5th, and 6th Emergency Battalions in the Dhi Qar Brigade.

The Oil Police Northern Regional Training Academy in Kirkuk is now training 200 cadets per class. Each class goes through an eight-week course.

There's an order of battle for Afghanistan too. The Iraqi one comes out once every month and is very accurate. Any potential inaccuracies, i.e. speculations and conjecture, are listed by the author.

Subjects like wars take hundreds of hours of investigation to only superficially understand.
Boss Out of Town
Team Captain

Post by Boss Out of Town »

Itterind wrote:People really seem to forget WWII wasn't a clear-cut moral question back in the day.
Not to the Japanese and the Germans, anyway, to the Italian facists, or the Soviet ruling elite. Pretty much everyone else, in most countries, were appalled by the prospect of a second great conflagration.

I would put a caveat on the various statements on the "irrationality" of war: all these arguments are culture-specific. In fact, most of the arguments made here against war didn't become common anywhere in the world until after World War I. As recently as 1917, the only major power in the world where both the middle and upper classes were overtly anti-war was the United States, still recovering from a horrendous civil war about two generations back. A lot of smaller nations--and a couple of billion peasant farmers in various countries--felt the same way, but most of them had very little say in running their societies. In societies with a strong warrior sub-culture, war could be seen as a duty, a sacrifice, a game, a means acquiring wealth, or a definition of your place and worth to society.

That said, none of the nations in Poe's world seems particularly war-like or afflicted by a warrior sub-culture. The Elves may have had one once upon a time, but they seem to have taken the cure. In the case of Europe, as an example, the "cure" was the 30 Years War, the Napoleonic Wars, an Industrial Revolution, and two World Wars, all of which combined to shrivel Europe's warrior sub-culture into something fit only for parades and motivating bourgeois recruits in boot camp.

The Elves seem almost too nihilistic to fit any real world model, like the last survivors on a life raft lost at sea for weeks, only they're immortal and can't expect it all to end soon. Sarine, as tired and cynical as she is, wants the Elves to survive enough to risk death and eternal exile from Elvish society. The others are going through the motions, but keep making decisions as though they had million or so civilians hidden somewhere to restore their numbers. I am reminded of all those B movie end-of-the-world scenarios, where there are only a few humans who have survived the zombie apocalypse, and they spend most of the movie quarrelling and killing each other.
History celebrates the battlefields whereon we meet our death, but scorns to speak of the plowed fields whereby we thrive; it knows the names of kings’ bastards but cannot tell us the origin of wheat. This is the way of human folly. --- Henry Fabre
davester65
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by davester65 »

Itterind wrote:
Talancir wrote:trying to dig myself out of this huge freaking hole crew checking in.

oh, such a shame. I'm pretty sure that was sarna in the flashback way back when sarine was training up the old ensigerum, when she had longer hair... http://www.errantstory.com/comic.php?date=2004-11-03

so yes, it's a shame that it's come to this.

Well, now I guess Sarine has to kill her old friend in self-defense because she lost her mind and betrayed her (in an attempt to help in a way that SHE thought was a good idea but which turned out not to be unless the Elven Demigod somehow makes things worse for the Elves than Tsuiraku and Ian on the Elves).
Not murder and Sarine may turn out to be right (or wrong and a traitor) about everything, but this is uncomfortably close to murder.

And, I'm pretty sure the bald guy seen sparring Sarine's old boyfriend is the same guy who killed same said boyfriend in Sarine's nightmare/daydream. I'm guessing the bald guy was Sarna's pupil while Sarine's boyfriend was Sarine's pupil. I personally think Sarine and Sarna are approximately the same age (within a century or two) and both are probably about equal in skill. Sarna clearly has the advantage of reach (both in height and weapon length), but Sarine's blades will be quicker and being smaller, Sarine may be more agile as well. She'll need to get inside of Sarna's guard to win. I hope for her sake she's up to killing an old friend, Sarna seems ready to.
"Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." - C.S. Lewis