2002-11-08: Once upon a time...

For talking about the plot, the art, the dialogue, the characters, the site, and the individual updates...
The Comment Golem
Unstoppable Posting Machine

2002-11-08: Once upon a time...

Post by The Comment Golem »

Discussion thread for Once upon a time...

New posts about this page or the commentary track version of this page should happen in this thread, but if you're curious the original discussion thread for this comic happened over on the Kyhm Forums. You can read it here.
The Comment Golem
Unstoppable Posting Machine

2012-03-30: [CT] Once upon a time…

Post by The Comment Golem »

Discussion thread for [CT] Once upon a time…
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Re: 2002-11-08: Once upon a time...

Post by Graybeard »

"Joey" sounds rather puerile. I'd say just leave him unnamed, to accentuate the way he's been lost in the past. (Admittedly, I have a selfish reason for this.)

Remarkable, how much younger Sarine looks here. The big eyes will do that. Also, she hasn't had time yet to get that tired-of-the-world-and-its-stupidity veneer that she wore for all of Errant Story like it was part of her armor. One thing is entirely consistent: she never smiled back then, either.

Whatever his name was, his time was short, but he was a lucky man.

Because old is wise, does good, and above all, kicks ass.
Michael Poe
The Almighty Poe

Post by Michael Poe »

Graybeard wrote:"Joey" sounds rather puerile. I'd say just leave him unnamed, to accentuate the way he's been lost in the past. (Admittedly, I have a selfish reason for this.)
Well, it was a joke. Joey isn't his actual name or anything. Also this page might have accidently gone up earlier than planned.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

Michael Poe wrote:
Graybeard wrote:"Joey" sounds rather puerile. I'd say just leave him unnamed, to accentuate the way he's been lost in the past. (Admittedly, I have a selfish reason for this.)
Well, it was a joke. Joey isn't his actual name or anything. Also this page might have accidently gone up earlier than planned.
Thank you. You can't imagine my relief at that. (And sorry to miss the joke -- like you say, it's a couple of days early.)

Because old is wise, does good, and above all, kicks ass.
BloodHenge
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by BloodHenge »

Is it just me, or does Mr. Elle look kind of like Chris the wannabe time monk?
Darkfyre99
New Poster

Post by Darkfyre99 »

Wow... I've been lurking on this board for so long, I can't believe I never actually registered to post.

Anyways, Poe, I'd like to say thanks.

Thanks for the story, and thanks for taking the time to put up commentary on it. I've always enjoyed this kind of thing.

Again, thanks!

*goes back to lurking*
chucktryon
New Poster

Re: 2002-11-08: Sarine?

Post by chucktryon »

OK... in all the years I've been following ES, I never made the connection that it was Sarine all the way back here in the beginning. Makes for an interesting circle... not to mention the fact that it changes my understanding of her in the opening chapters.
Imp-Chan
Not Yet Dead
Twitter @: ImpChan

Re: 2002-11-08: Sarine?

Post by Imp-Chan »

chucktryon wrote:OK... in all the years I've been following ES, I never made the connection that it was Sarine all the way back here in the beginning. Makes for an interesting circle... not to mention the fact that it changes my understanding of her in the opening chapters.
Yeah... see, that's why I support the page re-ordering. By changing the order none of the information is lost, none of the art or dialogue would need to disappear, none of what happened when would change, but the order of presentation can give a clear narrative thread and make which characters are which a lot clearer in those first opening and confusing chapters. As mentioned in the other thread, Meji is really only pretending to be the main character of this story, but I think that technique will work better if used consistently. Putting Sarine's flashback together would mark it as more clearly belonging to her and give it an even more rending effect (and, btw, those scenes are already so emotionally charged that I think the lack of sketchiness for them is entirely appropriate). Also, the early scenes with Sara would be less confusing and more mysterious if they're presented as an aside to the narrative, which making Meji the unifying thread throughout would accomplish. As it happens, Poe and I already figured out exactly how to shift the order around back in 2008, so it would even be pretty easy to do it if we decided we wanted to.

Of course, the real reason I support changing the page order and adding new transition panels/pages here and there is because it means I won't have to cram thirty-three speech bubbles onto the damn pages anymore. Can't blame a gal for hoping.

^-^'
Because scary little devil girls have to stick together.
Ori Klein
Forum Regular

Post by Ori Klein »

Sarine & Mr. She.

:lol: