2002-12-09: Don't

For talking about the plot, the art, the dialogue, the characters, the site, and the individual updates...
The Comment Golem
Unstoppable Posting Machine

2002-12-09: Don't

Post by The Comment Golem »

Discussion thread for Don't.
The Comment Golem
Unstoppable Posting Machine

2012-05-11: [CT] Don’t

Post by The Comment Golem »

Discussion thread for [CT] Don’t
Ori Klein
Forum Regular

Re: 2012-05-11: [CT] Don’t

Post by Ori Klein »

*waves hand...blink an eye* This is not the Elf you are looking for...
Dark_T_Zeratul
New Poster

Post by Dark_T_Zeratul »

Huh. I always thought it was "Sarine was just that god damn scary" in the first place.
Nyerguds
Forum Regular

Post by Nyerguds »

I was going for "elves in general are just that god damn scary", but it kinda boils down to the same thing.

I mean, they're all like "Oh crap, she's a killing machine with gods know how many centuries of combat training. We do NOT want to get involved in that." Which, imo, is the only explanation needed here.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

Poe wrote:So once upon a time the elves were going to have this magic whammy aura presence thing that only affected humans. This scene was the first and last time it was used in the comic. And has since been retconned as ‘Sarine was just that god damn scary, and that’s why they backed off’ here.
How disillusioning. ;) I always assumed there was a magical component of what she did, because later, she would show the ability to manipulate human minds. Complicated manipulation of one mind, simple manipulation of several -- what's the difference, really?

Because old is wise, does good, and above all, kicks ass.
Initial B
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by Initial B »

I was always in the "Sarine's Aura" camp myself. They can manipulate perception as shown later. My only problem with this is that Sarine's eyes in the fourth panel should have more of a "throw-down-with-me-and-I'll-kill-you" expression to them.
Rakshasa Taisab
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by Rakshasa Taisab »

I was always in the 'bunch of drunk dudes scared of old elven killing machine tales' crapping their pants aura thing.

It's not like anyone there was butt-fucking the crazy guy to feel the need to risk their life.
BloodHenge
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by BloodHenge »

I also figured at the time that it was just the Elves' reputation that had them scared. In retrospect, that still makes sense-- the only Elves seen out in the world for centuries have been rangers (sent to hunt down Errants), ambassadors, and bodyguards, so over 90% of the Elves these guys could have heard about recently would have been soldiers with centuries of training.
kaitou
Almighty Systems Admin
Twitter @: kaitou_

Post by kaitou »

Graybeard wrote:How disillusioning. ;) I always assumed there was a magical component of what she did, because later, she would show the ability to manipulate human minds. Complicated manipulation of one mind, simple manipulation of several -- what's the difference, really?
Isn't "Death Threatening Look" a magical component?

Besides, her later use of mind manipulation required touch whereas DTL doesn't.