2009-09-30: Don't Worry, Mama Fix.

For talking about the plot, the art, the dialogue, the characters, the site, and the individual updates...
Kerostasis
Forum Trainee

Re: 2009-09-30: Don't Worry, Mama Fix.

Post by Kerostasis »

My guess is its a time-zone issue. The comment golem starts the threads, doesn't it? So it can't very well be posting AFTER the people who reply to it -- but for some reason the golem registers as being in a different timezone than the forum default, so its post times are recorded as being 1 hour after they really are. That means the first 1 hours worth of replies get shuffled up above the golem.
Mord
Forum Regular

Post by Mord »

It isn't that the golem is posting after other people comment, it is that the script generates a post time of 1AM EST no matter what.

The comment golem is likely a simple script that generates an entry in the forum database. So rather then going through the process of making a thread when the script is run, it simply enters the information directly into the database which would include a pre-selected post time. It was likely set to have a posted time of 1AM because that is when the comics used to be posted. Because the script generates a post time of 1AM no matter what, anyone who actually posts before then will have their post appear before the comment golems does.

There are actually two easy solutions to the problem. The first would be to alter the post time to a point well before the comic would ever be posted, such as 10pm EST the previous day, which would almost always guarantee the comment golem to hold the first post. The second would be to have the script use the actual time it is run at as the posted time.

It actually seems that the script is rather incomplete, if you look the golems profile it shows that it doesn't have any posts, yet searching for its posts finds all of them.
Rakshasa Taisab
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by Rakshasa Taisab »

mindstalk wrote:The mouseover text is confusing. "At least that elf won't have to suffer an eternity of being taunted for screaming like a little girl." Yenhael didn't scream, this one did, but seemed to be keeping Concussion off long enough for the cavalry. Still alive to be taunted... unless it's meant to be foreshadowing.
The hammer was already going down in panel 3, and TesticleCutter-chan was grabbed while going for the 3rd, unarmored, elf.

Seriously, I sometimes am amazed at how confused people get over what really happens in comics.
Boss Out of Town
Team Captain

Post by Boss Out of Town »

Looks like two dead Elves and as Concussion goes for a third Nookie and Kawaii intervene to keep the story from turning into a Sy Fy channel $1.98 splatter flick. Just in time, I was ready to start checking for Bulgarian accents or Romanian scenery.

And they're both funnier as comic relief than the damn cat. Yay!
History celebrates the battlefields whereon we meet our death, but scorns to speak of the plowed fields whereby we thrive; it knows the names of kings’ bastards but cannot tell us the origin of wheat. This is the way of human folly. --- Henry Fabre
Imp-Chan
Not Yet Dead
Twitter @: ImpChan

Post by Imp-Chan »

The Comment Golem needs to visit the shop for some repairs, but we're waiting until Kaitou is back in town to do it. He has some personal matters to attend to right now that we don't want to interrupt.

^-^'
Because scary little devil girls have to stick together.
Luciifiel
Forum Regular

Post by Luciifiel »

For some strange reason, I was the first one to post and I could've sworn that the "comment golem" started this thread. :)
Rakshasa Taisab wrote: I don't see that much life in the partially head-less corpse lying on the ground with a nice pool of blood radiating from where his head should have been.
Oh well, that's one annoying elf down for the count. Now, someone sensible... please come in to replace Mistah Dead and don't start screwing things up.
Pillaroforder wrote:
Yeah, it's confusing as hell, but Yenhael's armor was way more ornate and he had a 'crown', so that's not him in 2nd panel. In Concussion's head 'fixing' means 'breaking' and 'procedure' is a blow to the head.
Oh oops... hahaha. Thanks for pointing things out. ;) And that is one crazy fairy... I don't care about "free will", she's pretty dangerous out on the loose. Thank the gods that Meji, Jon and gang stayed behind first.
Boss Out of Town
Team Captain

Post by Boss Out of Town »

"Sorry . . . my mistake . . . one coffin." :x

". . . And a bucket and and mop. Ewww . . ." :x
History celebrates the battlefields whereon we meet our death, but scorns to speak of the plowed fields whereby we thrive; it knows the names of kings’ bastards but cannot tell us the origin of wheat. This is the way of human folly. --- Henry Fabre
kaitou
Almighty Systems Admin
Twitter @: kaitou_

Post by kaitou »

Imp-Chan wrote:The Comment Golem needs to visit the shop for some repairs, but we're waiting until Kaitou is back in town to do it. He has some personal matters to attend to right now that we don't want to interrupt.

^-^'
The problem is that the entire machine was on Central Time (which makes no sense since everything about the site and owners is on Eastern Time).

Fixed (and not by Mama).