2009-10-09: Insulting Elves

For talking about the plot, the art, the dialogue, the characters, the site, and the individual updates...
AdamZero
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Re: 2009-10-09: Insulting Elves

Post by AdamZero »

I'm guessing Marvin?

*gives a cookie* there, what more do you want? cause I'm not about to get creepy internet hug-freak on you.
"Now he's gone too far. NOONE ATTACKS AMERICA'S FOOD COURTS!" -Deadpool.
"Don't be so naive. I've got ulterior motives. MANY. Two, maybe three. Probably Four. I am one BIG ulterior motive." The Great Teacher, Onizuka Eikichi.
RubberBandMan
Errant Scholar

Post by RubberBandMan »

Wow, no one really is taking this whole end the world thing as a very big deal without their leader types to keep them in line.

Jon is throwing school-yard insults at someone who is basicly trying to get a many-use WMD.

The Elf is trying to get back at Jon by lopping off bits of him, when he should be trying to get the WMD.

And the fairys are just working off of whims and "I guess so's", from seeing the magical goddess to killing stuff for fun. We're about three strips away from Jon and the Elf going shirtless and trying to punch each other out, while everyone around them eggs them on before a teacher shows up and breaks them up.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

One thing I'm not quite getting here: how does Chicanery know "what happened last time"? The Paedagogusi know that by the time Sarine, Meji and Jon left, Anilis had disappeared. But if memory serves (not to mention a visit to the archives), even though they know that what happened when the "mixed things" were there before was chaotic (well, duh ... Meji was there, after all), they also know that the really bad thing happened earlier, and they missed it. Simply put, they don't know what actually happened back then.

You also have to wonder what they've been up to in the interim. Why haven't they been scouring the world looking for the "ol' bitch"? We know they still have the ability to leave the Giant Magic Potato when they want to; Ian's first encounter with Kawaii was on the outside of the portal, after all. The answer to my first question might be that the sane, grown-up ones did a little research to figure it all out. But then, why didn't they intervene?

Of all of the people, races and things behaving oddly in this universe, the Paedagogusi are clearly at the top of the list.

Because old is wise, does good, and above all, kicks ass.
Tiamat
Jordan's Lab Assistant

Post by Tiamat »

Graybeard wrote:One thing I'm not quite getting here: how does Chicanery know "what happened last time"? The Paedagogusi know that by the time Sarine, Meji and Jon left, Anilis had disappeared. But if memory serves (not to mention a visit to the archives), even though they know that what happened when the "mixed things" were there before was chaotic (well, duh ... Meji was there, after all), they also know that the really bad thing happened earlier, and they missed it. Simply put, they don't know what actually happened back then.

You also have to wonder what they've been up to in the interim. Why haven't they been scouring the world looking for the "ol' bitch"? We know they still have the ability to leave the Giant Magic Potato when they want to; Ian's first encounter with Kawaii was on the outside of the portal, after all. The answer to my first question might be that the sane, grown-up ones did a little research to figure it all out. But then, why didn't they intervene?

Of all of the people, races and things behaving oddly in this universe, the Paedagogusi are clearly at the top of the list.
Kawaii saw Ian, one of the 'mixed things,' right before Anilis vanished. Kawaii might not have been able to make the intellectual leap, but once Nookie actually believed her I think she figured out where her boss went.
Slamlander
Keeper of the Holy Algorithms
Location: Nyon, CH, near Geneve, on the shores of the Lac Leman. The heart of Suisse Romande.

Post by Slamlander »

Graybeard wrote:Of all of the people, races and things behaving oddly in this universe, the Paedagogusi are clearly at the top of the list.
They *are* the Paedagogusi, non? They behave oddly by definition. It is an intrinsic part of what they are. They are the embodiment of Deux Ex Machinae.
S L A M L A N D E R
Isn't Sarine technically a MILF?
Itterind
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by Itterind »

Forrest wrote:In other words, Jon is Batman.
He hasn't even been corrupted by the Comics Code morals! (well, maybe a little would do him good... but he's already traded up for espionage in the name of peacekeeping for his woobie/-affections hasn't he?)
Itterind
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by Itterind »

AdamZero wrote:
Forrest wrote:In other words, Jon is Batman.
Wow, I think we just found a new header quote for the forum...

But yeah, why aren't any of the humans pulling the wool out of the fairies' eyes about this and say 'they're going to eat your god!' or something.

Also, I'm wondering if Sarine isn't just gonna come bustin' down and kick somebody's ass after all this.
I think she's going to end up dead at the end of this.

RubberBandMan wrote:Wow, no one really is taking this whole end the world thing as a very big deal without their leader types to keep them in line.

Jon is throwing school-yard insults at someone who is basicly trying to get a many-use WMD.

The Elf is trying to get back at Jon by lopping off bits of him, when he should be trying to get the WMD.

And the fairys are just working off of whims and "I guess so's", from seeing the magical goddess to killing stuff for fun. We're about three strips away from Jon and the Elf going shirtless and trying to punch each other out, while everyone around them eggs them on before a teacher shows up and breaks them up.
From what I've seen most of the elven leaders are quite worthless (figuratively) anyway, they lack basic common sense in tactics, psychology and even sending out one of your minions to check on the Paedagogusi who is an unknown factor (as it's been a few thousand years) and might very well be angry at you for intruding. Without their leaders they'll probably do better. For one, killin Jon here and now if it can be done with little fuss, is probably the correct strategic decision.
Last edited by Itterind on October 14th, 2009, 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Slamlander
Keeper of the Holy Algorithms
Location: Nyon, CH, near Geneve, on the shores of the Lac Leman. The heart of Suisse Romande.

Post by Slamlander »

Forrest wrote:Jon is Batman
Now that you mention it, yes. But without the soppy backstory ;)
S L A M L A N D E R
Isn't Sarine technically a MILF?
Pillaroforder
Heretical Monk

Post by Pillaroforder »

Slamlander wrote:
Forrest wrote:Jon is Batman
Now that you mention it, yes. But without the soppy backstory ;)
Would you like to reconsider? Father killed, mother died in child labor/from disease, sister lost... He's just not emo about it. Wasn't born rich, saw he wasn't the only one with a sob story, he's got perspective so he doesn't advertise it.
mindstalk
Typo-Seeking Missile

Post by mindstalk »

So are we going to skip a day of comic? No word since the "update later today", even with the various Tweets.