2009-10-19: Do it.

For talking about the plot, the art, the dialogue, the characters, the site, and the individual updates...
Scient
Forum Regular

Re: 2009-10-19: Do it.

Post by Scient »

Why are we assuming that the gods want to use host bodies, in the first place?
Pillaroforder
Heretical Monk

Post by Pillaroforder »

Scient wrote:Why are we assuming that the gods want to use host bodies, in the first place?
Because of the cryptic "repla(cement)" comment by Kawaii ages ago.
mindstalk
Typo-Seeking Missile

Post by mindstalk »

Pillaroforder wrote:
Scient wrote:Why are we assuming that the gods want to use host bodies, in the first place?
Because of the cryptic "repla(cement)" comment by Kawaii ages ago.
I never thought that was a quest for bodies. I figured they actually did want to repopulate a desolate planet.
http://www.errantstory.com/2003-01-06/42
Out of general aesthetics, or so we could build new spaceships for them or something.
Pillaroforder
Heretical Monk

Post by Pillaroforder »

I was actually referring to this.

What she actually meant is anybodys guess, replacement bodies are just my two cents.
Slamlander
Keeper of the Holy Algorithms
Location: Nyon, CH, near Geneve, on the shores of the Lac Leman. The heart of Suisse Romande.

Post by Slamlander »

I'll double that two cents. There are only a few words that start with 'rep' and make sense in that context. Occam's razor prevails here ;)
S L A M L A N D E R
Isn't Sarine technically a MILF?
mindstalk
Typo-Seeking Missile

Post by mindstalk »

Slamlander wrote:I'll double that two cents. There are only a few words that start with 'rep' and make sense in that context. Occam's razor prevails here ;)
Replacement, yes. Replacement bodies, not so much, seeing as they made lots and lots and then didn't seem to take any advantage of them.
ChunLing
Advocate of Justice

Post by ChunLing »

We established only a page ago that Senilis, at least, can take physical form pretty much at will (elven tradition suggests that Anilis can as well). Why on earth would they need replacement bodies?

I think that it's also been established that there is no definitive evidence that these gods created humans, and a good deal of evidence to the contrary.

To my mind, that suggests that humans existed before the war of the gods, but were presumed extinct by the conclusion of that conflict. So the elves would be an "improved" form of humanity, designed to not...well, die. This would also explain why the elves stopped being able to have children, the presumption was that they wouldn't need population replacement after reaching the desired number through reproduction. Unfortunately, the elves managed to discover the enticements of other forms of dis-immortalization, so the gods went back to the drawing board with a different theory. It may have something to do with the Trolls' cannibalistic rituals, they probably are able to preserve elements of memory and/or personality from the dead in this fashion. Might explain why their logical response to a Paedagogusus would be ingestion. Might also explain why they seem less inclined to interact with other races...they have what amounts to a weird, one-way form of mind-reading, so they have some basis for believing that other races may not really have minds since it doesn't work on them. It could also explain their...apparently intense conservatism.

Anyway, a very different and more robust take on personal immortality (if so), but still rather icky for my...tastes.

As for immediate events, I think that everyone is about to discover that the gods, though sleeping, do have their own say in what happens.
Kill...more...elves.
Angrist
Forum Trainee

Post by Angrist »

Slamlander wrote:I'll double that two cents. There are only a few words that start with 'rep' and make sense in that context. Occam's razor prevails here ;)
What about "replicas?"
ChunLing
Advocate of Justice

Post by ChunLing »

Hmmm...that's not very different from "replacement". But I think that if Ani and Seni simply wanted to replicate something, they could have done so. To my way of thinking, the elves were supposed to be superior to (or at least different from) whatever they were replacing.
Kill...more...elves.
Boss Out of Town
Team Captain

Post by Boss Out of Town »

A replacement for the destroyed world they came from originally? Given the kind of firepower Ian's been showing, any of the 'gods' were probably capable of ruining a perfectly good planetary ecosystem beyond a few millennia of repair. Strictly speaking, we can already do that, so . . .
History celebrates the battlefields whereon we meet our death, but scorns to speak of the plowed fields whereby we thrive; it knows the names of kings’ bastards but cannot tell us the origin of wheat. This is the way of human folly. --- Henry Fabre