2009-11-23: So.. Next Idea?

For talking about the plot, the art, the dialogue, the characters, the site, and the individual updates...
Boss Out of Town
Team Captain

Re: 2009-11-23: So.. Next Idea?

Post by Boss Out of Town »

mindstalk wrote:
No One wrote:
mindstalk wrote:Also WTF is Sara's problem?
The Ensigerum hate Elves. I don't think they've really explained why, although there are plenty of possibilities we can theorize from.
I know they do, though killing them all seems rather extreme. Anita seems good with it but she's crazy.
Crazy? Not really, just an arrogant fanatic and bigot with a modicum of smarts and skills. People like that are responsible for the bulk of political homicide throughout human history.
History celebrates the battlefields whereon we meet our death, but scorns to speak of the plowed fields whereby we thrive; it knows the names of kings’ bastards but cannot tell us the origin of wheat. This is the way of human folly. --- Henry Fabre
Boss Out of Town
Team Captain

mindstalk wrote:
Slamlander wrote:
mindstalk wrote:Shouldn't they think she'd be as likely to turn as Sara?
They see her as substantially softer. Besides, Sara didn't turn on them because Sara was never on their side. Then again, neither has Meji been. Through this entire adventure, Meji never really developed that 'Killer hardness'. Mostly, she has been a bystander. In combat, she is fairly useless.
Uh, how many combats has she been in? She did fine against muggers and cops. She intervened decently in Ian's rescue fiasco. Then there was getting captured/re-captured by the elves just recently, where I thought she was better than useless.
Tactically, Meji has been more unlucky than anything else. She had a couple of enounters where the other guy got the surprise round on her.
mindstalk wrote:Funny to hear someone say Scary Little Devil Girl doesn't have killer hardness. "I wonder if I just need the head?"
Narf. Meji was incredibly callous in the opening scenes of the story where I suspect our worthy author wasn't quite sure on how "realistic" he was being.
History celebrates the battlefields whereon we meet our death, but scorns to speak of the plowed fields whereby we thrive; it knows the names of kings’ bastards but cannot tell us the origin of wheat. This is the way of human folly. --- Henry Fabre
Rakshasa Taisab
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by Rakshasa Taisab »

Boss Out of Town wrote:
mindstalk wrote:Funny to hear someone say Scary Little Devil Girl doesn't have killer hardness. "I wonder if I just need the head?"
Narf. Meji was incredibly callous in the opening scenes of the story where I suspect our worthy author wasn't quite sure on how "realistic" he was being.
No... Meji was a spoiled rat from a media-saturated society with all the baggage that brings with it. Now she's been through Real Stuff and ended up growing up a bit.
ChunLing
Advocate of Justice

Post by ChunLing »

Well, there was also bravado at work there. She was wandering around the larger, less sanitized world outside of Tsuraki for the first time. I don't believe she was half as serious about that. It seems a lot of her early persona was an "I meant to do that" cover for her tendency to blow things up rather than do anything useful.

At the same time, she has seen (and participated to some degree) a lot of bloodshed by now. Enough that her reaction to her first close up view of a decapitation (Eww, it bounced) was simple disgust rather than horror.

But the elves...don't really know her that well, do they? And the Errant war itself is over, Sarine can't possibly be the only one who got an amnesty at the end. Possibly most elves think that the Rangers only hunt down "dangerous errants", and at least in Sarine's case this is actually more or less true. Meji is a bratty, barely pubescent, magic girl (from a quasi-Japanese culture no less), but she's not obviously errant nor does she really look like a hardened killer. And the decision to not treat her as an errant (for now) even has official sanction from the council.

Of course, that the elves are even considering doing anything other than bugging out of there proves they are...stupid enough to have got that far in the first place, I guess. But given that we know they are that stupid, what can we expect?

I would have bugged at "you want us to break into where and kidnap who?" Failing that, I would have bugged at the Dwarven defensive mech, which was <i>not</i> there before. Then I would have bugged at Yenhael getting...concussed. Actually, why there are any elves not hiding deep in impenetrable forests at this point is beyond me. Why bother to make a race immortal if you aren't going to supply them with any kind of survival instincts?
Kill...more...elves.
AdamZero
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by AdamZero »

I'm going to bring this back up, cause It's been bugging me.

Where's the 3rd Elven god? The one of Death and Decay? I mean with his neighbors'/college roomies' places getting busted up by little pointed eared science experiments, You'd think he'd stop in to say 'hi' or maybe just to laugh.
"Now he's gone too far. NOONE ATTACKS AMERICA'S FOOD COURTS!" -Deadpool.
"Don't be so naive. I've got ulterior motives. MANY. Two, maybe three. Probably Four. I am one BIG ulterior motive." The Great Teacher, Onizuka Eikichi.
Boss Out of Town
Team Captain

Rakshasa Taisab wrote:
Boss Out of Town wrote:
No... Meji was a spoiled rat from a media-saturated society with all the baggage that brings with it. Now she's been through Real Stuff and ended up growing up a bit.
I was referring to the scene where Meji reduces a human being a bloody, quivering pulp without so much as blinking an eye or pausing to brush the splattered brains and guts off her clothes. In the world of "Real Stuff," traumatic events like that put people from Meji's subculture into psych wards and causes nightmares and PTSD. Meji didn't have the reaction of someone squashing a bug.
ChunLing
Advocate of Justice

Post by ChunLing »

Oh, back in the "extended joke about RPG settings" thing. Even so...her expressed interest in watching some boy's love play out, I can't help but imagine that from her perspective that guy was lower than a bug.
Kill...more...elves.
Initial B
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by Initial B »

Poor Sara, she should have kept her mouth shut until the she got the power. Then she could have done the elves in twice over. I guess she doesn't want that kind of power.

And why do the elves seem to think they're in control of the process right now? I think they've just become superfluous - the shimmering god-thing careening around is in the driver's seat now. I think it will pick whichever vessel is most suitable.

And I'm betting Meji is about to pass her thesis disertation.
Sareth
RPG All-Star

Post by Sareth »

So, amidst all this serious discussing, the only thing I can think to say is "Gawd, I have never found Sara hotter, even in the scenes where her clothes weren't on."
mindstalk
Typo-Seeking Missile

Post by mindstalk »

AdamZero wrote:I'm going to bring this back up, cause It's been bugging me.

Where's the 3rd Elven god? The one of Death and Decay? I mean with his neighbors'/college roomies' places getting busted up by little pointed eared science experiments, You'd think he'd stop in to say 'hi' or maybe just to laugh.
Well, the simplest extrapolation would be that if the first two are "asleep" or whatever, then so is the third one.

There's also the possibility that the "god of death" is in fact *dead*, perhaps under the Anuban colonies, where (poe!wiki) no magically sensitive person wants to go or stay.

In either case, I'd assume Continuity is with him or his remains. Interestingly, she seems senior to the other four, or scarier.

Exitialis, by the way.