2009-11-23: So.. Next Idea?

For talking about the plot, the art, the dialogue, the characters, the site, and the individual updates...
runic
Errant Scholar

Re: 2009-11-23: So.. Next Idea?

Post by runic »

now the million dollar question is how will not having a host affect senilis' ability to 'reorganize' the landscape.

does it actually need a body or is that host thing a byproduct of its nature? in other words is it a bug, or is it a feature?
Forrest
Finally, some love for the BJ!

Post by Forrest »

Graybeard wrote:Wonder if maybe that definite article isn't spurious? Might the elven gods be not beings, but things?
Hmm... this may be old news for those better at Latin than myself, but it just occurred to me:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/senile
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/anile
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/exitial

Note especially the etymologies:

- senīlis, old, equiv. to sen(ex) old man (akin to senior ) + -īlis, -ile
- anīlis, pertaining to an old woman, equiv. to an(us) old woman + -īlis, -ile
- exitialis, exitious, fr. exitium a going out, a going to naught, i. e., ruin

The ol' bastard, the ol' bitch, and the god of death, indeed. Poe does his research :-)
-Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
AdamZero
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by AdamZero »

Sareth wrote:So, amidst all this serious discussing, the only thing I can think to say is "Gawd, I have never found Sara hotter, even in the scenes where her clothes weren't on."
I'm with you, chief.
"Now he's gone too far. NOONE ATTACKS AMERICA'S FOOD COURTS!" -Deadpool.
"Don't be so naive. I've got ulterior motives. MANY. Two, maybe three. Probably Four. I am one BIG ulterior motive." The Great Teacher, Onizuka Eikichi.
pillar_of_hate
Forum Regular

Post by pillar_of_hate »

Forrest wrote:
Graybeard wrote:Wonder if maybe that definite article isn't spurious? Might the elven gods be not beings, but things?
Hmm... this may be old news for those better at Latin than myself, but it just occurred to me:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/senile
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/anile
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/exitial

Note especially the etymologies:

- senīlis, old, equiv. to sen(ex) old man (akin to senior ) + -īlis, -ile
- anīlis, pertaining to an old woman, equiv. to an(us) old woman + -īlis, -ile
- exitialis, exitious, fr. exitium a going out, a going to naught, i. e., ruin

The ol' bastard, the ol' bitch, and the god of death, indeed. Poe does his research :-)
Not to mention...
Aetern Desiderium - Eternal Longing for something lost (missing an inflection on aetern)
Durus Flamma - Hard flame (gender mismatch)
---- Lancea - Spear/Lance
Praenubilis Astu - Very cloudy ("dark") city ("Astu" is Greek, cf e.g. Astyanax)
Ensigerum - sword-bearing
Inanire - to make empty

There are probably others.

In conclusion, either Poe hasn't done exhaustive enough research to get things right, or he HAS, and just does it to annoy pedants like me.
Forrest

Post by Forrest »

pillar_of_hate wrote:In conclusion, either Poe hasn't done exhaustive enough research to get things right, or he HAS, and just does it to annoy pedants like me.
Well, IIRC Poe himself has referred to the Sanguine (high-elven) language as "that one that sounds like bad Latin" or thereabouts, so I'd wager... somewhere in between your two options :-)
(And the Rinkai Erufu language was "that one that sounds like bad Japanese", likewise).
Rakshasa Taisab
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by Rakshasa Taisab »

Forrest wrote:Well, IIRC Poe himself has referred to the Sanguine (high-elven) language as "that one that sounds like bad Latin" or thereabouts, so I'd wager... somewhere in between your two options :-)
(And the Rinkai Erufu language was "that one that sounds like bad Japanese", likewise).
So you're saying... I mean, you're saying post-apocalyptic earth will be populated by immortal grad-students and anime nerds?
mindstalk
Typo-Seeking Missile

Post by mindstalk »

Rakshasa Taisab wrote:
Forrest wrote:Well, IIRC Poe himself has referred to the Sanguine (high-elven) language as "that one that sounds like bad Latin" or thereabouts, so I'd wager... somewhere in between your two options :-)
So you're saying... I mean, you're saying post-apocalyptic earth will be populated by immortal grad-students and anime nerds?
That doesn't sound post-apocalyptic to me. More like post-Rapture!
Sareth
RPG All-Star

Post by Sareth »

Rakshasa Taisab wrote:
Well, I'm not immortal, but I got the rest of that down pat! I'm all for this plan! (Now if I could just figure out how to include the word "kawaii" in my thesis, I'd be set.)
Forrest

Post by Forrest »

mindstalk wrote:That doesn't sound post-apocalyptic to me. More like post-Rapture!
Post-rapture Earth IS post-apocalyptic Earth. The only people left on Earth after the rapture are the sinners who get to sit here and suffer until the shit finally hits the fan. Maybe you mean post-rapture heaven? But then, post-rapture heaven should be just like regular heaven... not that that's anything to sneeze at...
ChunLing
Advocate of Justice

Post by ChunLing »

Post-Rapture, pre-Armageddon.

Assuming that "grad-students and anime nerds" count as sinners for purpose of the Rapture. I'm pretty sure that's the case. Not entirely sure. The idea of the Rapture is completely unbiblical, but theoretically justified on the basis of what the Bible teaches, so there can be no definitive interpretation of it based on authoritative statements, since the authority on which it is argued does not contain any references to it.

Technically, all history since about 90 A.D. (or C.E. for those who really want to be that way) is "post-apocalyptic", since the term refers to the revelation itself, rather than any of the particular events described therein. One could stretch a bit and say that the term "apocalypse" really refers to the revelation as it was written and distributed rather than when it was received, but that wasn't too much later.

On the whole, I think it could be fun to try and map out the history of the Errant Story gods in terms of the Revelation of John the Beloved (easy call, Exitalis is the fourth horseman), but it might not be a particularly good map (Um...there were four horsemen...and all of them are men--is there a color rendering of Anilis? I want to see if she's...well, she's usually not clothed at all, is she?).
Kill...more...elves.