Wiki Busters

Share the love (well, ok, not literally, that might get messy) for Poe's first big outing into the webcomic world.
Viking-Sensei
Evil Admin Overlord
Twitter @: Kallisti_x

Wiki Busters

Post by Viking-Sensei »

I've recently taken to cleaning out the EN wiki, since it wasn't locked down like the ES wiki is (and I could actually, you know, register for it). I've gotten a lot of the spam and general crap out of it, but I'd like to officially encourage any fans of Poe who've been around for a while or are well-versed in the EN universe to aide and assist in getting the EN Wiki up to the same level as the ES.

I don't know if Impy has locked that Wiki down yet... if she hasn't, I advise anyone who plans to help me resurrect and repair it to register ASAP, because she will be very soon. If we can get some sort of cohesive force for wiki goodness together, I might even be able to organize us some sort of H-Monk-esque tag here on the forums.
How could a plan this awesome possibly fail?
Tiamat
Jordan's Lab Assistant

Re: Wiki Busters

Post by Tiamat »

Reporting for duty. *cleans*

Edit: 25 pages down. Whoever has mod/admin power will needs to lock out anon users and new registration asap so we can begin cleaning out the junk pages.
Tiamat
Jordan's Lab Assistant

Post by Tiamat »

The de-spam is complete. Lockdown and removal of extraneous pages is out of my hands, though.
Ghost in the Shell
Jordan's Lab Assistant

Post by Ghost in the Shell »

As you might have noticed, I was cleaning out the EN Wiki for several weeks now. I just kept all the regular pages spam-free, but of course I couldn't delete the ones that were added by bots in the first place (and since they worked kind of as "decoys" I didn't touch them at all).
I've noticed that some spam occurs almost on a regular basis from the same ip over and over. If possible ban these ips (and of course disable editing for non-regged users, this at least kills half of the bots I guess...).
Oh, and I'm happy to hear that now the reanimation of this wiki has become an official matter and I am glad to offer my help. ^_^
I have re-read the complete series a couple of months ago, so I think I can at least add some basic information about the characters and storyline. Only reason I didn't do that yet, was a) my work, which is a bit less stressy now and b) that I didn't want to see my work butchered in spam as soon as I hit enter...
Viking-Sensei
Evil Admin Overlord

Post by Viking-Sensei »

Glad to have you aboard!

The spam doesn't seem to overwrite any of the original data, it just adds itself to the top for all to see whenever we come under fire... so if you want to start updating sections, I don't think it'll be a problem. Like I've said elsewhere, I'm trying to get in touch with an EN/ES Alumni who currently holds the keys to the castle to see if I can get some advanced wiki powers and we can get officially rolling under lockdown. Until then, all I can say is a) keep up the good work and b) don't lose the faith.
Viking-Sensei
Evil Admin Overlord

Post by Viking-Sensei »

Whoo-fuckin-hoo! InsaneMeglomaniac has now granted The Impster and I full powers of control over the wiki!

There's a new sheriff in town... let's kick some ass.
Viking-Sensei
Evil Admin Overlord

Post by Viking-Sensei »

Ahem... I think you two will both notice a 'little something extra' about your names now. Since I actually have *control* of the Wiki for the first time evah, I figured it's about time we start treating it with the respect it deserves. That said, there now exists a "Jordan's Lab Assistants" group on this board of which Tiamat, GhostInTheShell, and I are all members. While I retain my Admin-Fu rank, you two have been promoted from the default to special rankings on-level with the Heretical Monks.

Also, Tiamat, in recognition of your proven devotion to this cause and your timeless efforts de-spamming the wiki, I've given you a field promotion to "Group Leader" along with myself. (Granted, that means we've got 2 leaders and only one follower... *sigh*) Mostly, I think it means that you have the ability to approve other people's requests to join. Actually, I have no idea what powers it grants you, but since you've done so much for the cause, I felt that you deserved the recognition.

Now, I'll be scotch-guarding the Wiki all weekend. I don't want to "lock it down" as bad as the ES wiki is, as I'd still like new handles to be creatable and all that stuff... I should have stopped a fair amount of the spamming, however, with a few well-placed bans and lock-edits.

We do, however, have to think about what we're going to do once we're done cleaning out the Wiki. I'd like to salvage any data we can about EN from old forums, websites, anything like the character profiles that I found a while ago on the Internet Archive. Also, we need comprehensive chapter breakdowns, links to relevant pages, colored pages, filler art... all that fun stuff.

So, in closing... GO TEAM!
Tiamat
Jordan's Lab Assistant

Post by Tiamat »

Aye aye, Cap- *cough* err, Sensei >_>

Things are looking pretty quiet for the moment, so whatever magicks you worked on the accesses has staunched the spam-flow. I'll keep an eye on it and beat down any uprisings, as well as adding a little new material when I find time/material to add.
Ghost in the Shell
Jordan's Lab Assistant

Post by Ghost in the Shell »

Cool, a Lab Assistant I am now. ^_^ Guess I'll have to look for a Quasimodo avatar now, hehe.
Btw, some of the bots actually did also delete the original content, but that was not the reason for me not to make additions to the wiki. What I meant was that so far I did not add new pages, so the "target" for the bots wouldn't get bigger. From what I see now, the bans did work pretty well, so I'll guess that's ok for now.
Unfortunately I don't have time today to do some additions, but I hope I'll be able to fill up some things tomorrow evening (CET + 1 evening).

Also I'd like to know whether there is an easy way to delete pages completely from the wiki (from what I've read in the docs it appears not to be a standard easy thing to do...) we could use to get rid of bot-created pages (like all those "Wiki/index/wiki/index..." entries).
I have the old character profiles as well and if they haven't been put into the wiki, I'll simply add them tomorrow. Perhaps I can even include some info I got myself from the pre-EN Babylon Jones comic.

Woohoo again for the beginning of a new ES-wiki! ^^
Tiamat
Jordan's Lab Assistant

Post by Tiamat »

Ghost in the Shell wrote:Also I'd like to know whether there is an easy way to delete pages completely from the wiki (from what I've read in the docs it appears not to be a standard easy thing to do...) we could use to get rid of bot-created pages (like all those "Wiki/index/wiki/index..." entries).
I have the old character profiles as well and if they haven't been put into the wiki, I'll simply add them tomorrow. Perhaps I can even include some info I got myself from the pre-EN Babylon Jones comic.

Woohoo again for the beginning of a new ES-wiki! ^^
There is, but only a wiki admin/sysop can do it. So we'll just have to wait for Viking to get around to it when he has some spare time. For now, populate the wiki! It must be filled with strange fictions facts immediately!