Merging News Boards and Comic Boards?

Rules, announcements, suggestions, elections, and all the other fun things that make our forums tick.

Should the news boards merge with the comic boards?

Yes.
86%
No.
14%

Total votes: 7

Imp-Chan
Not Yet Dead
Twitter @: ImpChan

Merging News Boards and Comic Boards?

Post by Imp-Chan »

Erm... What do you guys think? Should we merge the Errant Story news board with the regular Errant Story board, etc?

We used to have to have separate boards with different permissions in order to keep the newsposts working right, but now that they're integrated with ComicPress, there's no particular technical reason to keep them separate. At this point, it's just a question of usage and what you the people prefer.

Merging Pros:

- If we merge the news boards with the comic boards, the comic boards will move up to the top of the page, dragging everything else up with them.
- All of the Golem posts go to the comic boards regardless of whether they're about news posts or comics, so right now an admin has to move them and fix the links in the ComicPress admin afterwards. If they were merged, this step would be skipped.
- The forum will probably look tidier?

Merging Cons:

- The Board Rules and Announcements board would have to move down above General Discussions, which means that newcomers are less likely to read the rules, and regulars are less likely to notice elections. Since we generally make important stuff global, I'm not sure how relevant this is.
- The news post threads are less likely to stand out among all the comic threads. If there's a hot topic of discussion, and someone joins the forum to participate, they may have a hard time finding the discussion again once they have joined.
- Links from the wiki might be messed up? Probably not, since the forum seems able to find things by topic number and that doesn't change, but it's possible.

So, power to the people and all that. Tell us what to do.

^-^'
Because scary little devil girls have to stick together.
Tiamat
Jordan's Lab Assistant

Re: Merging News Boards and Comic Boards?

Post by Tiamat »

Would it not be possible to just leave a special "Announcements" section in place of the "News & Announcements" section, so it doesn't get lost in the general discussion portion of the forums?
Imp-Chan
Not Yet Dead

Post by Imp-Chan »

The actual Board News & Announcements subforum would remain intact and it's own separate board, it's just a matter of where on the page it shows up. Only the comic news boards would get merged with their respective comic boards.

I hope that answers the question?

^-^'
Tiamat
Jordan's Lab Assistant

Post by Tiamat »

Imp-Chan wrote:The actual Board News & Announcements subforum would remain intact and it's own separate board, it's just a matter of where on the page it shows up. Only the comic news boards would get merged with their respective comic boards.

I hope that answers the question?

^-^'
Yup!
Viking-Sensei
Evil Admin Overlord
Twitter @: Kallisti_x

Post by Viking-Sensei »

It's not like people even bothered with the elections last year. I can make stickies and send announcements, but they just don't seem to care... I guess that means they're pleased with the incumbants (or aren't even aware of us). Anyway, I swing my admin hammer when I need to - that's all the rules these people really need anyway.
How could a plan this awesome possibly fail?
Tiamat
Jordan's Lab Assistant

Post by Tiamat »

Viking-Sensei wrote:It's not like people even bothered with the elections last year. I can make stickies and send announcements, but they just don't seem to care... I guess that means they're pleased with the incumbants (or aren't even aware of us). Anyway, I swing my admin hammer when I need to - that's all the rules these people really need anyway.
Well, I would have but they were over before I had a chance to see them.
Imp-Chan
Not Yet Dead

Post by Imp-Chan »

Tiamat wrote:
Viking-Sensei wrote:It's not like people even bothered with the elections last year. I can make stickies and send announcements, but they just don't seem to care... I guess that means they're pleased with the incumbants (or aren't even aware of us). Anyway, I swing my admin hammer when I need to - that's all the rules these people really need anyway.
Well, I would have but they were over before I had a chance to see them.
Err... the thread about the ones for 2010 ran for nearly a month. There was so little interest that we decided to just postpone an election until people asked for one. If you're asking, I'd be happy to hold one.

^-^'
Tiamat
Jordan's Lab Assistant

Post by Tiamat »

Imp-Chan wrote:Err... the thread about the ones for 2010 ran for nearly a month. There was so little interest that we decided to just postpone an election until people asked for one. If you're asking, I'd be happy to hold one.

^-^'
Apparently I'm totally blind, then :oops: My bad.

In all seriousness though, I am pleased with the incumbants. Not that the boards need a lot of moderating in the first place - we're a pretty chill bunch, especially when compared to the old KYHM days.
Viking-Sensei
Evil Admin Overlord
Twitter @: Kallisti_x

Post by Viking-Sensei »

Noooooooo! Don't say the K word, lest it unleash all sorts of horrors upon our heads!

In all honesty, I wouldn't mind a little Kyhm-esque action myself. I've been trying to light a fire under the GD section, but even my best meme-baiting doesn't appear to spark interest from the masses.
How could a plan this awesome possibly fail?
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

Viking-Sensei wrote: In all honesty, I wouldn't mind a little Kyhm-esque action myself. I've been trying to light a fire under the GD section, but even my best meme-baiting doesn't appear to spark interest from the masses.
"GD"?

Because old is wise, does good, and above all, kicks ass.