Newspost Integration

Rules, announcements, suggestions, elections, and all the other fun things that make our forums tick.
Viking-Sensei
Evil Admin Overlord
Twitter @: Kallisti_x

Re: Newspost Integration

Post by Viking-Sensei »

Also, my apologies to any actual grandmothers from Bootfarq, Iowa who might be regular readers. You guys rock! Keep the Ellis/Jon crochets coming!
How could a plan this awesome possibly fail?
Mord
Forum Regular

Post by Mord »

Viking-Sensei wrote:Now, my honest not-on-the-clock-as-a-mod-here and as-a-webmaster-in-my-own-house opinion about those using 800x600 in this day in age? Fuck'em. I suppose that just because some little old lady in Bootfarq, Iowa is still using IE 3.5 on her Windows 3.1 we shouldn't use Java or Flash either?
Personally I would appreacte it if people would stay the hell away from java. Most people can't code it for shit so it ends up being an even larger resource hog then it already is.

As for flash, well it really depends on the application. I've seen plenty of flash done well, but have probably seen just as much done in a manner where it is nothing but a hassle to deal with.
OmnipotentEntity
New Poster

Post by OmnipotentEntity »

Imp-Chan wrote:This place is rather clean and shiny on the surface, but by no means should that discourage you. All the fun and grit is still there, it's just more subtle now, less blatantly in your face than Kyhm's. Go play the Three Things game, I suspect you'll find it refreshing.
The ES forums. Just like Kyhm's. Comes complete with 100 empty forums.
Viking-Sensei
Evil Admin Overlord
Twitter @: Kallisti_x

Post by Viking-Sensei »

Mord wrote:
Viking-Sensei wrote:Now, my honest not-on-the-clock-as-a-mod-here and as-a-webmaster-in-my-own-house opinion about those using 800x600 in this day in age? Fuck'em. I suppose that just because some little old lady in Bootfarq, Iowa is still using IE 3.5 on her Windows 3.1 we shouldn't use Java or Flash either?
Personally I would appreacte it if people would stay the hell away from java. Most people can't code it for shit so it ends up being an even larger resource hog then it already is.

As for flash, well it really depends on the application. I've seen plenty of flash done well, but have probably seen just as much done in a manner where it is nothing but a hassle to deal with.
Well, the same comment can be applied to countless other things... php, css, xhtml, floating windows, embedded audio/video/content... I'm not advocating that just because you CAN use all of them you SHOULD use all of them ... I just think that if you want/need a specific function to be performed by your website, you should be able to use a baseline set of acceptable protocols without having to fear about general incompatibility.
How could a plan this awesome possibly fail?