Help Wanted: General Forum Maintenance

Rules, announcements, suggestions, elections, and all the other fun things that make our forums tick.
Imp-Chan
Not Yet Dead
Twitter @: ImpChan

Help Wanted: General Forum Maintenance

Post by Imp-Chan »

Well, I'm sure no one is surprised that I've gotten behind on maintaining all these threads for the commentary pages. What might actually surprise you instead is that I'd like to try this newfangled solution that I hear sometimes other people do... it's called delegating?

The job is a simple one. Every time a commentary track version of a comic posts, a new forum thread will be automatically generated for it. However, back in the archives for the comic there still exists the original page, and that page theoretically ALSO automatically generated its own thread. There's no point to having two separate threads for one comic, especially in the case of those older empty threads, so these two distinct threads need to eat each other, ouroboros style. The new thread should be merged into the old thread (important: in order for the dates of the comics in the thread titles to be correct for the original comics, it has to be new into old, not the other way around). Then the links in the actual wordpress entries for each comic need to be updated, as well, so that the site automatically links back to the one thread that exists for both versions of the comic.

In addition to that quick and simple cleanup and organization, there comes the question of archive-diving to find the original discussions over on the Kyhm forums. Now, I personally think there are some gems in those discussions, and they are part of the history of the comic fandom (is a decade old enough to have history?)... so I'd like to make sure that those discussions are at least accessible for members of the fan community. The easiest way I can see to do that is to simply link to the relevant Kyhm discussion in the starting post of the official thread here on this forum. I've already done that in a couple cases, but since the threads are not ordered in the same way, it's a little harder than just grabbing them in order.

So, I'm looking for someone willing to do a little regular administration, plus maybe a second person willing to do some archive diving, or the same person if they're up to it. Is anyone interested?

^-^'
Because scary little devil girls have to stick together.
Imp-Chan
Not Yet Dead

Re: Help Wanted: General Forum Maintenance

Post by Imp-Chan »

BUMP

I could still really use help linking the commentary threads for the original pages to the commentary threads for the new Commentary Track pages. Anyone up for it?

^-^'
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

I'm puzzled. I get the idea of interfacing between the "commentary" topics and the old Kyhm ones, and yes, it would be very nice if someone would step up and make that happen. (It's entertaining to go back to the Kyhm days and see not only how ideas that people were having back then worked out, but also, the differences in, dare I say, "style" :? between the participants in today's forum and those.) However, as far as I can tell, there really isn't anything in the post-Kyhm, "modern" forum entries for the older episodes, before the official opening of this forum in August 2007. What's the point of linking back to discussions that don't exist? It'll start to be relevant once we get to chapter 29 -- as far as I can tell, the first episode discussed in the new forum was this one, discussed here -- but it's going to be a while before the commentary versions get to that point. (Of course, as long as it takes to get people to stand up and do this, maybe that long lead time isn't a bad thing...)

Because old is wise, does good, and above all, kicks ass.
Imp-Chan
Not Yet Dead

Post by Imp-Chan »

Merging the topics means that the link from the website will go to one topic for both versions of the page. So, any discussion of that page, with or without the commentary track, will be in one place.

^-^'